Emby server often wakes DS223j from hibernation

Kamika242

Kamika242

I know there are a lot of threads here, I did read the most and followed the hints and instructions, but Emby keeps waking my DS223j up from hibernation, sometimes 4 minutes aber the system went to sleep. I disabled all possible logging options, deleted the portmapping plugin, deactivated the DNLA plugin, have no scheduled tasks. With deactivated Emby server the system sleeps without any interruptions, so the problem is definitely caused by Emby. Here is an example of waking 4 minutes after falling asleep for yesterday in the night:

Screenshot_20230830_231718.jpg

embyserver.txt

Hi, at 23:14, the server received a request from the Emby web app in Chrome:

2023-08-30 23:14:50.609 Info Server: http/1.1 POST http://192.168.188.13:8096/emby/Sessions/Capabilities/Full?X-Emby-Client=Emby Web&X-Emby-Device-Name=Chrome Windows&X-Emby-Device-Id=753c0c24-2cac-433e-882a-99db00d8506c&X-Emby-Client-Version=4.7.14.0&X-Emby-Language=de&reqformat=json. UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/116.0.0.0 Safari/537.36
2023-08-30 23:14:50.639 Info Server: http/1.1 Response 204 to host1. Time: 30ms. http://192.168.188.13:8096/emby/Sessions/Capabilities/Full?X-Emby-Client=Emby Web&X-Emby-Device-Name=Chrome Windows&X-Emby-Device-Id=753c0c24-2cac-433e-882a-99db00d8506c&X-Emby-Client-Version=4.7.14.0&X-Emby-Language=de&reqformat=json

This appears to be coming from a windows machine on your network. 

Kamika242

And here for the whole night, the wake ups while the crossed out times are caused by an automatic folder sync upload from my phone at 3:00am and at least when I woke up the system by myself in the morning via browser access:

Screenshot_20230831_094725.jpg

Screenshot_20230830_233150.jpg

embyserver-1.txt

Kamika242
13 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, at 23:14, the server received a request from the Emby web app in Chrome:

2023-08-30 23:14:50.609 Info Server: http/1.1 POST http://192.168.188.13:8096/emby/Sessions/Capabilities/Full?X-Emby-Client=Emby Web&X-Emby-Device-Name=Chrome Windows&X-Emby-Device-Id=753c0c24-2cac-433e-882a-99db00d8506c&X-Emby-Client-Version=4.7.14.0&X-Emby-Language=de&reqformat=json. UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/116.0.0.0 Safari/537.36
2023-08-30 23:14:50.639 Info Server: http/1.1 Response 204 to host1. Time: 30ms. http://192.168.188.13:8096/emby/Sessions/Capabilities/Full?X-Emby-Client=Emby Web&X-Emby-Device-Name=Chrome Windows&X-Emby-Device-Id=753c0c24-2cac-433e-882a-99db00d8506c&X-Emby-Client-Version=4.7.14.0&X-Emby-Language=de&reqformat=json

This appears to be coming from a windows machine on your network. 

I don't have a windows machine in my network. I have a Fire TV Stick with the Emby app, a Denon AVR and a Linux Mint Laptop and some Android devices, but all devices where turned off/disconnected.

Edited by Kamika242

Just now, Kamika242 said:

I don't have a windows machine in my network. I have a Fire TV Stick, a Denon AVR and a Linux Mint Laptop, but all devices where turned off.

OK fair enough. I was taking a guess based on the browser including Windows in their user agent. So let me reword this a little more generally - you have a device on your network running Chrome that was sending requests to your Emby Server.

The log is anonymized, so I can't see the original IP address, but you can use the server dashboard to download the original log to see the ip address, or just access the log file directly. Or you may also find it just by checking the Devices or Activity sections of your server dashboard. Those should help you narrow down where the request was coming from.

Kamika242

18 minutes ago, Luke said:

OK fair enough. I was taking a guess based on the browser including Windows in their user agent. So let me reword this a little more generally - you have a device on your network running Chrome that was sending requests to your Emby Server.

The log is anonymized, so I can't see the original IP address, but you can use the server dashboard to download the original log to see the ip address, or just access the log file directly. Or you may also find it just by checking the Devices or Activity sections of your server dashboard. Those should help you narrow down where the request was coming from.

The log was downloaded via the server dashboard. Nearly every browser I use is Chrome based, but I access Emby only with an Android tablet via Fulguris browser (Webview based) and the Fire TV Emby app, nothing else. I close the Emby tab every time when I've done what I had to do. Everything only in my home network, outside access is blocked.

Edited by Kamika242

Kamika242

One step further, the Windows client is erroneously the Fulguris browser of my Android tablet, in the settings of the browser is another user agent shown. 

But my question is, how can a closed browser with no open tabs connect the sleeping Emby server and Synology after ~14 minutes of last usage? 🤔

I have to go grocery shopping now, in the meantime I will shutdown the tablet and see what's happened, when I'm back. 

• Thanks 1

TMCsw
12 hours ago, Kamika242 said:

But my question is, how can a closed browser with no open tabs connect the sleeping Emby server and Synology after ~14 minutes of last usage?

When you close a window in android it is still running in the background and android will not stop it until it needs the RAM for other apps. if you want to you can do a 'Force Stop' from settings --> apps

• Like 1

Kamika242
18 minutes ago, TMCsw said:

When you close a window in android it is still running in the background and android will not stop it until it needs the RAM for other apps. if you want to you can do a 'Force Stop' from settings --> apps

I think thats not the typical behavior of every browser, but thanks for your explanation. I'll try out now if this behavior happens also with other browsers. A browser with an "Exit" option shouldn't run again in the background with opened sites/tabs.

Anyway, I booted up my tablet today in the late evening and without opening the Fulguris browser the Synology woke up, so it seems the Fulguris browser is such a candidate appropriate to your explanation.

Kamika242
5 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, please attach the Emby server log. Maybe we’ll learn something from it. Thanks.

I think the browser problem is solved. Deleted Fulguris browser and tried with Opera, the Synology woke up "only" about every 2 hours this night, but this was not caused by Emby or the browser, after a view into the log. Now I have to observe the further behaviour when I activate Emby's DNLA Server. Thanks to all!

embyserver.txt

Edited by Kamika242

Kamika242

The Syno wakes up every morning at 09:01:50 and every evening at 21:01:50, for the morning in the embyserver.log are some lines for some operations which might cause this, am I right? Ich don't need and don't want any Life-TV stuff, how can I disable this?

embyserver-2.txt

8 hours ago, Kamika242 said:

The Syno wakes up every morning at 09:01:50 and every evening at 21:01:50, for the morning in the embyserver.log are some lines for some operations which might cause this, am I right? Ich don't need and don't want any Life-TV stuff, how can I disable this?

embyserver-2.txt 24.95 kB · 0 downloads

Hi, yes good catch. We'll get that one resolved as part of the upcoming 4.8 server release. Thanks.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Kamika242

Hello again, trying the beta 4.8.0.46 now and the Syno wakes up every hour looking for updates, thats pretty useless. Please Emby-Team, add an option to disable all automatic searches and let the user decide to look for updates by itself. 🙏🏻

embyserver.txt

4 hours ago, Kamika242 said:

Hello again, trying the beta 4.8.0.46 now and the Syno wakes up every hour looking for updates, thats pretty useless. Please Emby-Team, add an option to disable all automatic searches and let the user decide to look for updates by itself. 🙏🏻

embyserver.txt 24.29 kB · 0 downloads

Hi, have you explored Emby Server scheduled tasks?

Kamika242

Yes, but they are all empty (emptied by myself after first Emby installation and updates).

Unfortunately I can't go back to the stable 4.7.14.0 cause emby server won't start anymore then.

Edited by Kamika242

Yes, but they are all empty (emptied by myself after first Emby installation and updates).

Ouch, not a good idea. I understand you're trying to solve a problem, but please try to remember this down the road that if you try to use certain features this may cause you to think they're not working.

Kamika242

I don't need and use many features, I need Emby only for watching some movies and series on my TV, listening my mp3 collection (ripped from my own cd's) on my Denon AVR and all of that very rarely. Every needed action I start manually (scanning the library and so on), so there is no need for automatic updates, the Synology shall sleep when not use. I can't understand why no one understands that some people use their systems very rarely and so there is no need for a 24/7 actuality.

OK for the next build I've made some additional adjustments to scheduled task logging so please let me know if that helps. Thanks.

• Like 1

Kamika242

Hi @Luke, for the moment I'm away from using Emby, I no longer have the nerve for ongoing try and error, but thank you so much for your assistance. I will try Emby again in near future. I bought 2 app licenses for different accounts on Amazon (FireTV), see this as a small donation for your work.