Remote access not working on QNAP TS-563

Ferkner

Ferkner

I have been trying to setup remote access to my Emby server for some time now but I cannot get it to work. It seems like a rather complicated procedure for some reason.

I read and followed the Remote Setup support page and that did not work. I tried following the Secure Your Server support page which became a complicated task with getting a domain and SSL and linking them. Is this necessary?

At first I thought the issue was the security on my QNAP. For fun I installed the Plex server, signed in, checked the box to allow remote access, checked the box to manually specify the the public port (which was the same as the default), and that was it. I disabled Wi-Fi on my phone, opened the Plex app, signed in and was able to connect directly to the Plex server and watch something. No certificates, no IP addresses to enter, no messing with router ports. So the QNAP is not the issue.

I thought signing in with Emby Connect would be a thing in the app, but whenever I do it just brings me back to the Select Server screen in an endless loop.

How do I connect remotely to Emby without all these hoops and complications? Why is Plex easy to connect with but Emby is not? I have a lifetime Emby Premiere license so it would be nice to be able to take advantage of everything that offers. I don't know if the procedure is more complicated than it needs to be or if I am doing something wrong that I am not seeing. I will provide any info that is necessary to get help with this. I would eventually like to share my library with a friend so remote access is pretty important to me.

Hi, can you try remote connecting to your emby server web interface just using http://remoteip:8096

Did you forward port 8096 in your router to your server machine?

Ferkner

Hi,

Ports 8096 and 8920 are both forwarded to the QNAP that Emby lives on.

image.png.2f40ae4b803e3677e6c128493ca7191d.png

Using my remote (public) IP and port in a browser won't reach the server. "Allow remote connections to this Emby Server" is checked under Network. Signing in with Emby Connect in the app off the network just does that endless loop thing I mentioned earlier.

Problem solved. Because I do not use the ISP modem/router as my home network router and have my own router so that I don't have to reconfig everything when we change providers, I had to forward the ports on both my router and the ISP combo unit. Once I did that it connected no problem.

Hopefully this will be helpful for someone else in the future who uses their own router instead of the ISP provided one and forgot to for the ports on both units. Looks like the complications were my own fault.

• Thanks 1