"Not interested" flag for all media at the user level.

marriedman

marriedman

I frequently use the filter of Unwatched for movies and TV shows. And with music, you get recommendations based upon "similar" artist or songs. I would like a flag option to mark media as "Not Interested" or whatever verbiage would be better for the masses. This would have to be at the user level and not stored in a NFO file since I would like to filter out things my family likes, but only on my profile.

As my libraries grow, I am having more content for my family. Since I am the only male in the house, my users have tastes that are distinctly different from mine. Whether it be real surgery shows,  true murder, sappy romances, or telenovelas; these are things that I will never - and I do mean never - watch. The same thing goes for the music collection. I don't mind classic musical soundtracks, but my daughters collection of Broadway musicals is vast. And annoying. 

Now I could make them as Watched, but then that would go into the algorithm "Since you watched this, you might like this...", I would like to avoid doing that. I've poked around quite a bit, but I don't see anything like this currently nor did I see anything like this requested. If it has been requested but called something else, I would love to know about it so I can like that post.

Thanks in advance.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

GrimReaper

Why don't you just tag those items you're not interested in and block that tag for your user in Access control? 

marriedman

While that technically would work for movies & TV shows, that tag would not affect the music Albums, Album Artist, etc... at the top of the screen. 

Also, I have my tags stored in NFO files. If I were make that tag available, they could use it as well and tag my content as Not Interested.

That being said, I had not considered something that simple and it would probably be suficient in the interim for videos. But I would like to see something closer to what I described. Thanks for chiming in!

marriedman

I just tried to add a tag as a normal user. There is no option that I can see to add nor modify tags. Sure I could sign in as the admin and do it from PC, but that would not be a very good user experience.

1 hour ago, marriedman said:

that tag would not affect the music Albums, Album Artist, etc... at the top of the screen. 

You mean the entire categories?

marriedman
13 hours ago, Luke said:

You mean the entire categories?

Yes sir. Apologies, I should have attached a screen shot to illustrate what I was talking about.Screenshot_20230831_080445.png.99b0b227b04c135d90d04310a22226b5.png

And then the filter menu:

Screenshot_20230831_080549.png.135ffd50468fc94165bf5bb1655bba68.png

rbjtech

This is similiar to a lot of requests for a 'hide' function - essentially the opposite of a 'favourite'

It obviously needs to be user selectable from the clients and maybe even an option to be done on a genre or other group level.  

• Like 2

marriedman

I had not thought of it as an Ignore or Anti-favorite. That's not bad. I t seems pretty similar to what I want as well. Odd though, there is no heart on that request. Probably because it is a Guest user?

GrimReaper
1 minute ago, marriedman said:

I had not thought of it as an Ignore or Anti-favorite. That's not bad. I t seems pretty similar to what I want as well. Odd though, there is no heart on that request. Probably because it is a Guest user?

Nope, being a Guest has nothing to do with it - it's just that not many members (to avoid saying "no-one") consider it useful enough to have lent their support behind it.

marriedman
59 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Nope, being a Guest has nothing to do with it - it's just that not many members (to avoid saying "no-one") consider it useful enough to have lent their support behind it.

I don't want to sound argumentative, but no one has the ability to click a heart on that post. It's missing entirely. Without the ability to support it, it cannot garner support.  That being said, it doesn't appear as though anyone else has requested this feature since so you are correct that "no one" besides me likes the idea.

• Agree 1

GrimReaper

You are actually right, I thought you were just referencing that there were no likes on that post - but there are no provisions to react on it, either, so I guess that's something that should be discussed internally how are the cases like this handled, cause even though the poster is anonymous now, it is still a valid FR and likes are one of the metrics (not exclusive but quite indicative) when gauging community interest in a feature. And even if there were likes on that post at some point in the past, were those lost on account deletion? @Abobader

Edited by GrimReaper
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

were those lost on account deletion?

Yes indeed, when account removed, everything removed as well from any reactions and a like.

That user requested account removal.

Edited by Abobader
Typo
  • Thanks 1

jaycedk

Guess its time to re-think FQ's since this should not happen.

FQ's and upvotes/downvotes should remain after op's removal, fore historic reasons, like this one.

Edited by jaycedk
Spelling
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, jaycedk said:

FQ's and upvotes/downvotes should remain after op's removal, fore historic reasons, like this one.

Agree, will work on this, it's on my top list for some times now.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
Alex3111

It would be very useful if there was a "Not Interested" or image.png.63888a26e932bdbf18be585812de6ec1.png that denoted that we, the user, doesn't want to continue seeing such item (Movie, TV Show, Music, etc.) shown on the Latest XXX category, as it simply takes space until other newer items take over, which are not necessarily items we are interested on either.  But selecting 'Played' to make the disappear messes up with the 'Suggestions'.  Just like Emby keeps track of 'Played' and it does functions towards 'Suggested', how about image.png.e4b74c48c3c2cde9fb3b23561604f641.png that simply removes it from continue to seeing it in Latest xxx category?   I have had items sitting in 'Latest Media' for weeks, that I simply don't care for, but maybe 1 user may have requested it, but it sits on mine and everyone else's for that matter until new media replaces it, and again, it may not be new stuff that I could care for.  Had a user request just about every The Land Before Time movies, 20-some of them, and sure, they are like less than 1GB, so didn't bother me taking that space, but ffs, they all sat there forever... to then again, have bunch of "I don't care for" items show up.  Then a movie/show/music that I care for, shows up, I watch it, it clears out the 'Watched' and we are back at the same again...  but I can guarantee you if I marked all those movies that I really don't care for as 'Played', the movies that were pushed will show up, and maybe I'll be like:  HEY, forgot about that movie/show.  But now my 'Suggestions' is ALL screwed up because all them other movies/shows that I didn't care for thru the algo to hell and back.  So damn if we do not selected as 'Played', damned if we do and don't care for them.  See how useful that option would be?  :)

image.png.ad2510fe6a1fde37c6c4e0c07998e129.png

Edited by Alex3111
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
JoshuaAJones

I love this. Trakt has the same feature.

Even if I do watch an episode or two, if I decide I no longer want to watch, I click the icon and it disappears from Progress.  If I change my mind, I can go directly to that show and unclick the icon. It then reappears in Progress.

This would be extremely helpful, as I have my parents and my kids on the server. Parents don't want to watch Arcane or MCU. Kids don't watch Frasier or old movies.

• Like 1

marriedman

I am really glad this is something that more and more people are asking for in the forums. If I remember correctly, the original post needs to have "likes" or hearts to show the developers like @Lukeand the forum admins like @GrimReaperthe interest level. These guys are active in the community and pay attention to these things!

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, JoshuaAJones said:

Even if I do watch an episode or two, if I decide I no longer want to watch, I click the icon and it disappears from Progress.  If I change my mind, I can go directly to that show and unclick the icon. It then reappears in Progress.

Hi.  We have this same functionality re: showing in continue watching.  You can right click on an item there and "Remove from Continue Watching" and then it won't show there again unless you play another episode.

This particular request would completely hide the item from you everywhere.

9 hours ago, JoshuaAJones said:

Parents don't want to watch Arcane or MCU. Kids don't watch Frasier or old movies.

A little bit of file-level organization can give you this.  Folder Based Access Control

Alex3111
5 hours ago, ebr said:

5 hours ago, ebr said:

This particular request would completely hide the item from you everywhere. 

Definitely NOT what I suggested. I never mentioned hide forever. I mentioned: NOT INTERESTED, please stop showing it in my NEW MEDIA that will sit there until many more items replace it's slot, and maybe, many items that I'm ALSO not interested, but some of my viewers might be. Netflix has it, Prime has it, Trakt has it. 

You are suggesting creating folders to dump shows/movies that based on interest, different users will have access to. I don't know what my users want, but I sure know some wanted Bluey, and I don't care to see it for months in my NEW RELEASES.

Edited by Alex3111

8 hours ago, Alex3111 said:

Definitely NOT what I suggested

Hi.  You aren't the originator of this request and the original request only mentions using the "unwatched" filter in (presumably) the normal views.  To hide content there would mean hiding it pretty much everywhere (although, there would have to be some sort of view of "things I marked not interested" in order for you to change your mind).

8 hours ago, Alex3111 said:

I don't know what my users want,

I presumed that you, as the server owner, had only added things you weren't interested in to your server due to requests from your family.  I use the folder-based access control to keep things my kids want but I don't separate.  It works well for me but maybe not for everyone but I wanted to be sure everyone was aware it is possible.

Alex3111
1 hour ago, ebr said:

Hi.  You aren't the originator of this request and the original request only mentions using the "unwatched" filter in (presumably) the normal views.  To hide content there would mean hiding it pretty much everywhere (although, there would have to be some sort of view of "things I marked not interested" in order for you to change your mind).

I presumed that you, as the server owner, had only added things you weren't interested in to your server due to requests from your family.  I use the folder-based access control to keep things my kids want but I don't separate.  It works well for me but maybe not for everyone but I wanted to be sure everyone was aware it is possible.

No, I am not the OP for this thread, as I had opened a 'Suggestion Feature' some weeks ago, and it was closed and told it was inline with this thread, yet I wouldn't want to HIDE it from every user, nor hide it from my catalog, so as you are suggesting:  use the folder-based access control to keep things my kids want but I don't separate.

That must take quite a bit of personal time to organize and maintain, or you must have very small amount of users (not that I have a bunch, 7 users with 3 being in my household, as even both of my children have different taste on what they want to watch and keep track off).  Or do you not have Profiles in your Netflix / Prime accounts?  It would be insane to use a single profile account for multiple adults in one household.

My suggestion is that NEW MEDIA is plagued with everything that is new, separated by Movies, TV Shows, Music, and whichever other category Emby server offers and the admin adds to their server.  But not every user cares or is interested on everything that pops-up on that line.  The idea behind Emby server is to have multiple users, with different taste of media and have a one-stop location, than an admin is willing to spend time-effort-money on.  But for the "admin" also having to catalog everything for their users, is too time consuming.  Imagine if Netflix didn't offer the thumbs down option, which removes it from future home-page suggestions, or Prime, or Apple TV, or even Trakt.tv offers that.  Imagine having to select "Played" to remove it from the NEW MEDIA list, for the simple thing that I am not interested on seeing it anymore, yet now my 'Suggestions' is all out of wack because I really didn't care for that kids show, but I am letting my users add TV shows and movies that cater THEIR needs, yet for doing so, I am plagued with bunch of 'Not Interested' NEW MEDIA.

I am not a programmer, but I could think that if NEW MEDIA has some code that calls for:  IF item is newly added, and not marked WATCHED, and IS less than the slots allowed for NEW MEDIA, THEN show; I can only guess the code goes something like that.  How about:  IF item is marked NOT INTERESTED, do not SHOW in NEW MEDIA; but it will show in the Movies, TV Shows, Music, etc., just like ANY other WATCHED item from the past.

My Organizr shows the following, which is data from Sonarr/Radarr.

image.png.088b2620d38c429cf38711a33cefdb48.png

Yet my Emby shows the following for NEW MEDIA:

image.thumb.png.ce1c9924c9e38c1b974f909b08c5405c.png

Look at how many X I would had "NOT INTERESTED" on my Emby's NEW MEDIA.  I am sure I can't be the ONLY one having this mindset.

I don't care to have a plagued NEW MEDIA of 'NOT INTERESTED' items, as everytime there is something NEW that I am interested, and I watch, it goes away... because the code must have something stating:  IF WATCHED, REMOVE FROM NEW MEDIA... I bet.

As the Admin, owner, the one that runs the system, pays for electricity, spends time and effort, I really don't feel like having to divide TV Shows and Movies into:  /Videos/Movies/Adults and /Videos/Movies/Kids and then removing the /Kids folder from MY account; what if I do want to watch Dumbo?  Now I have to either move the movie or give myself access to that folder, which again, will fill my NEW MEDIA with 'NOT INTERESTED' items?

Here is something I had written before about this, and as many other cloud based media online, a simple thumbs down or a NOT HEART or as I suggested, a small red circle with a line across it, as the worldwide symbol for NOT "something"

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/121105-not-interested-flag-for-all-media-at-the-user-level/&do=findComment&comment=1338955

image.png

Edited by Alex3111

Junglejim

Why not just use tags? You can filter them on a user basis (Restrict Items With Tags).?

marriedman
17 minutes ago, Junglejim said:

Why not just use tags? You can filter them on a user basis (Restrict Items With Tags).?

Already tried that.

On 8/30/2023 at 4:58 PM, marriedman said:

I just tried to add a tag as a normal user. There is no option that I can see to add nor modify tags. Sure I could sign in as the admin and do it from PC, but that would not be a very good user experience.

Since I am the admin, I could do that at a computer. But the typical user that is watching via a TV remote, it doesn't work.