Emby Connect linked server unselectable, doesn't do anything

AtlasRedux

AtlasRedux

So I've set up my remote server. I've linked my TV to it with Emby Connect and entered pin. The correct name shows up in the server list after the pin is confirmed.

However, it is not selectable. Clicking on it does nothing. Long press does nothing. I can select my other local server just fine.

SamES

Close the app, then start it again.  Then you should be able to select the server.  

AtlasRedux
54 minutes ago, SamES said:

Close the app, then start it again.  Then you should be able to select the server.  

Selectable, but the IP is wrong. It's showing the local IP instead of remote.

I am so tired of Emby. It has been nothing but trying to find out stuff due to being so insanely unintuitive. 

Even something as simple as Emby Connect is nonsense. It should be as simple as logging in, select user and pick local or remote. But no. Even adding users is nonsense. Why isn't there a menu for Emby Connect in the Server config? Nonsense. Why IS there a convoluted "adding users" system instead of simply linking servers to a user instead? Log in as a user, select from a list of servers that are registered/logged in on that user, not the other way around. So convoluted.

TrueHD doesn't work, it remuxes.

To get a layout that makes sense you HAVE to select Folder view, or else everything is a mess if you mix movies and shows.

I seriously regret buying a Premium key. I am done. I'm going to find alternatives or go back to Plex (though Plex isn't much better). This is just infuriating.

Edited by AtlasRedux

Selectable, but the IP is wrong. It's showing the local IP instead of remote.

Did you try clicking on it?

AtlasRedux
17 minutes ago, Luke said:

Did you try clicking on it?

And of course it doesn't go anywhere, since it points to a local IP that does not exist. I hoped it would give me an option to select the remote IP or something, but no, Emby is as always annoying, confusing and just not working. Ports are opened, yet when adding it manually, it doesn't work. It works if I open it in web browser with URL however.l I switched to Jellyfin just now and it does exactly what I wanted. Instantly connected with no issues, UI makes perfect sense and movies and shows are perfectly sorted in the same library without having to click another button for Folder view every time. I'm done with Emby. It's been months of annoyances. I'm only keeping one server running locally since my mother's Samsung TV doesn't support Jellyfin without sideloading yet.

Edited by AtlasRedux

And of course it doesn't go anywhere, since it points to a local IP that does not exist.

Actually it points to both your local and remote addresses. What you see for display in the list is just the last used one, or the local address if you haven't connected to it before from that device.

Why not just connect without using Emby Connect? You can just enter your server address manually. No need to switch software. Emby Connect is a purely optional feature that you can skip if it's not your preference.

AtlasRedux
1 minute ago, Luke said:

Actually it points to both your local and remote addresses. What you see for display in the list is just the last used one, or the local address if you haven't connected to it before from that device.

Why not just connect without using Emby Connect? You can just enter your server address manually. No need to switch software. Emby Connect is a purely optional feature that you can skip if it's not your preference.

No, it does not. There is only the local listed. And because my mother is not technically capable and the IP of my server is changed constantly, so that is not an option. ALSO, my TV doesn't connect with direct IP despite I have port forwarded. Yet Jellyfin connected with the exact same port with absolutely no issues.

As said, I am done anyways. Just close this. I am so tired of Emby and I'm happy to not have to click the Folder button every time as well. There are so many extra steps and nonsense UI choices.

What nonsense UI choices do you mean? We're happy to incorporate your feedback to help improve on it.

SamES
7 hours ago, AtlasRedux said:

TrueHD doesn't work, it remixes.

It has to remux as your TV doesn't support lossless TrueHD formats.

AtlasRedux
4 hours ago, SamES said:

It has to remux as your TV doesn't support lossless TrueHD formats.

Let me rephrase that: which remuxes it wrong, as it uses FFMPEG, which doesn't remux into 7.1+. Not that Jellyfin does either though.

But again, I'm done and have unfollowed this thread. I said delete it to the admin. I am not returning to Emby, I've tried out Jellyfin for a few hours now, and it does everything faster and with much more intuitive menus. Again, like not having to click the "Folder" link every time because "Folder" layout can't be picked as standard. Which again, is one of the many utterly annoying decisions to force users into using Emby in a specific way instead of letting us choose. Also I no longer have to use convoluted workarounds to manage/ignore metadata in library names for specific items. Just so many little annoyances I am so happy to no longer have.

Edited by AtlasRedux

SamES

I guess you won't see this response, but maybe you were too impatient for us to help and you didn't check all the available options?  You can select Folder as default from here!

image.thumb.png.a488132a9b3ad6b7c0982d001d644cfb.png

Also I no longer have to use convoluted workarounds to manage/ignore metadata in library names for specific items.

Hi, can you please give an example of this so that we can look for possible improvements?

AtlasRedux
5 minutes ago, SamES said:

I guess you won't see this response, but maybe you were too impatient for us to help and you didn't check all the available options?  You can select Folder as default from here!

image.thumb.png.a488132a9b3ad6b7c0982d001d644cfb.png

I have no idea what that menu is and I have nothing that looks like it.

EDIT: derp, found it. Still not going to use Emby though.

Edited by AtlasRedux

AtlasRedux
5 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, can you please give an example of this so that we can look for possible improvements?

Metadata overrides filenames at all times, or not at all if I completely disable metadata. I don't want it to override filenames at all times. I want to have the option to see filenames for specific folders and items. In Emby, this is annoying and convoluted. In Jellyfin, I can opt to simply view it.

Edited by AtlasRedux

2 minutes ago, AtlasRedux said:

Metadata overrides filenames at all times, or not at all if I completely disable metadata. I don't want it to override filenames at all times. I want to have the option to see filenames for specific folders and items. In Emby, this is annoying and convoluted. In Jellyfin, I can opt to simply view it.

From the upcoming 4.8 release, more fields can be displayed:image.png

Or already in 4.7, there is table view:

image.png

AtlasRedux

I don't want table view. When is 3.8 coming to Tizen? I don't care about WebOS, I am not switching back again as I said. I'm of course not asking for refund for my key though, I have used it for a few months and will keep up a server for my mother until Jellyfin supports Tizen without having to sideload.