Pleasant audio performance at the start of videos

Gilgamesh_48

Gilgamesh_48

On some videos, mainly seen on TV shows, when the video starts the audio is about 40-50% of what it "should" be and ramps up to the full 100% over about 5-10 seconds. I really like that behavior but I have not been able to find a way to make any of my encoding software produce videos that behave that way.

The videos where it happens are all older to very old (the original "Lone Ranger" and "Family Affair" being two of the eldest.) I did not encode those as I inherited them, already encoded, from an uncle that I did not know even liked me much, (He left a LOT of media, many TV Shows and a few movies) and the tool(s) that produced them may no longer work or even be available.

I have had to re-encode some shows due to problems with drives at one time or another (I still have the original DVDs or, in many cases, VHS tapes.) None of my re-encodes have the volume ramp up feature working, They all start at the volume they will play at for the entire video. I have been able to make similar effects work but it takes a good bit of time and effort for each video.

It is not really important but it would be pleasant and I would like to have the ability to produce effects like that when I have to re-encode.

I have tried to find an encoding system where I can make it produce features like this but I simply cannot find one.

I own Handbrake, FreeMake, FFmpeg AV batch converter and I have tried many others and I simply cannot find one that can be set up to make the audio behave as I have observed.

Has anyone else seen this? (asking in case I am actually insane and just thinking I hear what I I believe I hear.)

Does anyone know of a encoding software that can be configured to make this happen? It is not worth a lot of money to me, so I prefer free software, but I would also not be adverse to paying something reasonable for software that could do what I want.

It even could be some little trigger that makes Emby's playback behave that way but it is really hard to tell for sure.

BTW: The original "Lone Ranger's" opening sequence with the "William Tell Overture" is really quite nice with the ramp up feature.

• 2 weeks later...
visproduction

1) I would extract the audio possibly using: MKVCleaver: http://blogs.sapib.ca.apps  (Watch out for small ad popup)
Extracting with more things to click through is possible with MKVToolsNix or even VLC.  Although VLC is so large, the Media convert is rather hidden and takes a lot of steps.  But it can work for all sorts of videos.

2) Adjust the fade in or any other audio issue with: https://www.audacityteam.org/download/

OR

Alternatively, you can use EMBY settings to set the default volumn lower so each video starts at a lower volumn and the user has to decide what they want to do.  This seems like a more elegant solution and solves every media playback volumn problem at once.  Of course this does not affect what a user sets for their music amp volumn for external speakers for desktop type users.  But a high volumn setting is on them.