How do I access remotely?

Kincaid

Hi, I am trying to access my video remotely but it doesn't work. I forwarded the port 8096 in my router and according to http://www.canyouseeme.org/ the port is open but I can't access the web client. I found a FAQ that said I should open 8945 too, don't know if TCP or UDP, tried both, but this doesn't work. I forwarded the port exactly like the first one but http://www.canyouseeme.org/ says the port is closed. Any ideas on this? Is my ISP blocking this port? If yes, can I change this port in MB Server? Or is this completely wrong and there are other issues?

Edit: It is working on my iPhone over 3G. Does this only work from another network? I can't access it from the same network my server is in.

Edited by Kincaid

SyntaxualMayhem

I've only been tinkering with MB and XBMC for about 24 hours now and working out the kinks, I'm having a couple of issues myself, but you should be able to access the server from a browser by typing the local IP address of the machine with the server installed, i.e. "192.168.x.x:8096/mediabrowser", or however your network is set up in regards to the IP address range. That or you can type the computer name "pc-name-here:8096/mediabrowser". Does that not work?

If not, then sorry I don't know, just thought I may be able to help.

I've only been tinkering with MB and XBMC for about 24 hours now and working out the kinks, I'm having a couple of issues myself, but you should be able to access the server from a browser by typing the local IP address of the machine with the server installed, i.e. "192.168.x.x:8096/mediabrowser", or however your network is set up in regards to the IP address range. That or you can type the computer name "pc-name-here:8096/mediabrowser". Does that not work?

If not, then sorry I don't know, just thought I may be able to help.

Access from the same network with the local ip works, I am using this for some years now. :) But I will be in another town for some time and want to view my videos from there, that's why I try to set up MB for remote access. I just tried it from my local network for testing and thought it doesn't work. When I think about it it's obvious that it can't work because every traffic that comes over the port 8096 is routed to my server so the client never gets anything on that port, right?

You need to setup port forwarding on your router so that inbound traffic on 8096 will go to your mb server machine port 8096.  If this works from outside your network but not inside it the router just may not be allowing loop-back through that port.

You said you had it working on 3G.  If that's the case, it should work from your remote location too.

Port 8945 is no longer used.