fast forward and rewind behavior with a remote control

Darius

Hi folks, I was watching shows with my remote and noticed a few setbacks using emby theater.

General playback with fast forward/rewind should be like this: press once FF 2x, press twice FF 4x etc. until I press play, pause or press the opposite direction just like Kodi and most cable boxes. Give users the ability to disable this whole 'chapters thing' completely, while I can appreciate for movies, it's useless for a lot of content.

SikSlayer

Depends on the remote. Some have FF/RW buttons, some have Next/Previous chapter buttons, and most commonly these days, just the four way directions, with an Enter/OK button in the middle. And that's not even mentioning dedicated Play/Pause buttons, which isn't a guarantee either!

While I agree that dedicated FF/RW buttons should work as you describe, provided your remote has them, many, if not most these days don't. It's kinda hard to establish a standard for what the buttons do if everyone doesn't have the same buttons on their remote.

I do however, vehemently disagree about the usefulness of chapters in TV shows. I make as much use of chapters watching TV as I do watching films on Emby.

Can't really see a logical purpose of having an option to disable chapters. Just my two cents. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Hi.  We are trying to design towards more modern playback interfaces than Kodi and cable boxes - which use jumping and visual seeking with thumbnails to allow you to navigate right to where you wish. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SikSlayer said:

I do however, vehemently disagree about the usefulness of chapters in TV shows. I make as much use of chapters watching TV as I do watching films on Emby.

Can't really see a logical purpose of having an option to disable chapters. Just my two cents. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Fair enough make it optional then it won't hurt anyone. For me personally and the type of content I watch I have no use for it. That way it won't affect you but it will benefit people who want that.

Ohh and by the way even if people do not have these dedicated buttons on their remotes other comparable software allow both behaviors: the arrow keys and the ff/rw for those that have these buttons.

6 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  We are trying to design towards more modern playback interfaces than Kodi and cable boxes - which use jumping and visual seeking with thumbnails to allow you to navigate right to where you wish. 

Well, it would be nice if we could have some better control of that  behavior because I often find myself skipping to the next episode accidentally the first few jumps with the arrow keys are okay but they get too big too fast. It seems that there is no mention of that in the playback settings.

It just says 10 seconds by default but if you press the arrow key multiple times to fast forward it jumps way more than that sometimes half an episode or even the next one (spoiling myself in the process) etc.

2023-08-29_18-23.png.14d20e992cd2713123303238fe087128.png

Also why not just assign these incremental ff/rw to at the very least some keyboard keys so people can assign them to their remote using other tools outside emby like flirc etc. The current keys available could use a few additions. That way it won't cost you too much development time but people who want will be able to figure it out on their own.

'We are trying to design towards more modern playback interfaces than Kodi and cable boxes'

If so then don't you think it's important to have greater control over the seeking on a video file with a remote control? Which is the whole concept of a media center and what not?

I understand that not all remotes have these features but I think this is certainly a point that needs some improvements, the current seeking with a remote happens way too fast and you often find yourself at the next episode already.

Also I think in this case the incremental ff/rw is the default behavior that so many people use and this formula has been proved so many times there was no need to really change that. Or at least it would be cool make it an option through a keyboard assignment as mentioned before.

Edited by Darius