IPTV Poor UI and performance issues.

Darius

Hi folks, new emby premiere subscriber here, I am writing this because I really want this to work and to be nice so I hope I don't sound mean but I think before we reach the state of the art, there are a few things that need to be worked on.

IPTV is slow compared to VLC, sometimes randomly stops working, one cannot change channels with most remotes using dedicated buttons. One cannot input numbers to change channels as well…

Ideally the best way would be to set up a keyboard key for every menu feature to ensure that at least people can reassign buttons on their remotes with tools like flirc for instance. That way without worrying about every remote model you could support a bunch of them.

In order for the IPTV and playback features to work optimally, a lot of people resort to using Kodi with one of the Emby add-ons accompanied by xteve for hd homerun emulation.

Add to that some other tweaks such as manually editing the emby for kodi nextgen add-on m3u8 file to replace the links emby tries to serve with the actual links of my iptv provider. 

Things like iptv channels should keep their native m3u urls. Or at least make that an option please to serve the native links.

It's a lot of hoops just to get an advertised feature of Emby premiere to work properly 😥.

If I don't do that then changing channels is extremely slow, navigation is tedious in comparison to other open source alternatives or regular players.

The guide does not remember channel positions and does not have a dedicated key, pressing the menu button brings to 'on now' which is visually nice but less friendly to browse through what's being broadcasted on multiple channels with the guide view.

Emby theatre and the android app should be enough by themselves to cover anything Kodi is used for, especially after all these years. If I wanted to use Kodi that bad, then I would just run my own http server and do that.

The reliance of Emby devs on other software like Kodi and plugins to complete missing features is a bit over the top in my opinion (with all due respect) as all it does is introduce extra possible points of failure where things can go wrong and I really hope in the future that we can just use Emby by itself to fulfill all our needs.

To finish on a positive, that epg feature is very complete for my needs, now it just needs to be matched with a good live tv feature.

Honestly I think you guys are that close to be able to bring those missing features and others I will mention in separate posts so it would be sad to miss the window of opportunity here.