Openelec Gotham Playback Issues

Xzener

dark_slayer

When using Openelec/XBMC as my default bootable OS, my other PC's don't see it on the network as a PC. Only as a media playback device. I have never had to deal with samba shares... I setup my home network with file sharing and never looked back

Hey Xzener, cool seeing you around here

I can't shine light on why your setup isn't working unfortunately, but a couple questions and info can't hurt I suppose

1) My wife's W7 laptop, my W8.1 server, and OSX rMBP all see my openelec htpc as a network PC with the name "OPENELEC"

2) This makes downloads/updates/logs easy because you can navigate to the "Logs" folder of the OPENELEC share and it will zip your logs up for you

3) I don't know for sure why yours isn't showing up as a PC, but instead only a media player - I think this is an issue, but not sure that it causes folder rips to fail

4) Out of curiosity (fairly sure it doesn't affect anything) how is your network sharing setup?

Xzener

Hello Dark_Slayer, fancy seeing you here too. I have a basic home network (via Windows) setup. Allowing full permissions for shared folders. MBS is setup with UNC paths pointing to my HD, DVD movies, and TV series shared folders. For some reason, XBMB3C will only playback MKV videos. I can browse my entire collection... But when I click play, I receive the "opening stream" popup, moments later... nothing happens. After trying a couple more, I'll receive the "one or more items failed" popup.

The other windows machines see "Openelec" as a media player only. Its very strange. I'm new to Linux (at home), and don't know what to try next.

Going to post some logs tomorrow, hopefully we can figure things out.

Thanks.

xnappo

Well there is always makemkv :D 

I will see if I can reproduce tonight, but I only have one DVD rip, everything else is MKV.

xnappo

xnappo

The only way that log file could happen is 'if addonSettings.getSetting('playFromStream') == "true":'

xnappo

Yeah, it is under 'Network' in the XBMB3C settings.  Please make sure it is OFF and post another log.

Thanks,

xnappo

Have you tried browsing and playing these files from within XBMC itself (direct from network location bypassing MB)?  This would tell you if it is an access problem which is what it sounds like may be going on.

Xzener

Yeah, it is under 'Network' in the XBMB3C settings. Please make sure it is OFF and post another log.

Thanks,

xnappo

It is not there? Only "Play from HTTP instead of SMB" is an option.

Is there a configuration file that I can manually set it to "off"?

Edited by Xzener

xnappo

It is not there? Only "Play from HTTP instead of SMB" is an option.

Is there a configuration file that I can manually set it to "off"?

That is the one.  The playFromStream is what the variable is called in the code, that setting sets it.  If it is DEFINITELY off in your settings, please post another log.  It had to have been on at the time your last log was posted...

xnappo

Edited by xnappo