USB Vids with a decent video, music, slideshow player.

jrcb1969

jrcb1969

Hello,

Have a ROKU device. I wish to hook up my external hard drive and view videos directly from USB onto ROKU. However, their media player really sucks. Is the Emby app a good app for this? The hard drive is a Mac OS Extended format or HFS. All vids are MP4s. The regular Roku media player works but is limited and really sucks. I want something with better options for fast forward and rewinds and slow motion forward and slow motion rewind at variable speeds if such an app on the ROKU exists. Is the Emby app a good selection for this, or should I choose a different app. Thanks.

Gilgamesh_48
11 minutes ago, jrcb1969 said:

Hello,

Have a ROKU device. I wish to hook up my external hard drive and view videos directly from USB onto ROKU. However, their media player really sucks. Is the Emby app a good app for this? The hard drive is a Mac OS Extended format or HFS. All vids are MP4s. The regular Roku media player works but is limited and really sucks. I want something with better options for fast forward and rewinds and slow motion forward and slow motion rewind at variable speeds if such an app on the ROKU exists. Is the Emby app a good selection for this, or should I choose a different app. Thanks.

I do not believe it is because Emby requires a server and its server must run on a PC of some sort and I believe that computers on the network cannot access storage connected to the Roku's USB port. That means that the Emby server cannot serve the content.

It has been a very long time but I believe there are several media players available in Roku's app store and I believe some have interfaces at least as good as Emby.

jrcb1969

Awesome. If someone on here knows one of those players on ROKU since emby apparently won't work, I would love to know what they are. 

Gilgamesh_48
17 minutes ago, jrcb1969 said:

Awesome. If someone on here knows one of those players on ROKU since emby apparently won't work, I would love to know what they are. 

I just looked and it seem the only survivor in the Streaming apps section is ;
"Shelby Usb Media Player"
I have absolutely no idea if the quality of the app is any good or really if it will do what you want.

There used to be a lot more but a year or two ago Roku changed their rules and the changes forced a whole lot of apps out of the store.

There are also third party unofficial apps (apps loaded by entering a code) and there used to be a ton of those but the changes Roku made caused all of the ones I had to go away or fail to load.