After Asustor AS6604T ADM update to 4.2.3.RK91, transcode fails

BrianJFox
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Do you by any chance have older logs lying around still from when it was detected? if you could provide both an emby server and hardware detection log from that, that would be helpful as well. Thanks.

BrianJFox

Luke,

Ran the following command after signing in via Putty:

`sudo chmod o+rw /dev/dri/renderD128`

And transcoding options re-appeared.   User suggesting this states it's non-persistent.   Appears to be a Asustor issue, not sure if you can/want to try to fix it in Emby. 

BrianJFox

Luke,

Not certain if that is monitored by the Asustor devs, despite appearing to be an official forum.   There are several users there who've opened tickets, plus mine. 

Not sure if you have any pull with them as this is breaking a key feature of the Emby app, causing support headaches for you.     Thanks.

9 minutes ago, BrianJFox said:

Luke,

Not certain if that is monitored by the Asustor devs, despite appearing to be an official forum.   There are several users there who've opened tickets, plus mine. 

Not sure if you have any pull with them as this is breaking a key feature of the Emby app, causing support headaches for you.     Thanks.

We do have a developer support contact so I'll send them a link to that forum posting.

BrianJFox

Luke,

Some additional detail on the changes Asustor made in the most recent update.  Not sure if this helps mitigate the impact on Emby, not really a Linux guy.

----

by Patrick » Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:47 am

Currently, ADM change the permission for /dev, and only allow root group to access it. This is the security improvement, and uBuntu also applied this kind of permission for /dev system folder.

For using /dev folder (especially for /dev/dri/renderD128 to use Hardware transcoding) in docker container, you can change the container as a non-root user, but keep it in root group.

Then it have no problem to use /dev/dri/renderD128 now.
  • Thanks 1

OK so it looks like we're going to have the install package add the correct group to our emby user. Thanks.

• Solution

@BrianJFoxthe stable packages on our website are updated with this change. It will also be in the 4.7.14 update that we're submitting to Asustor. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
BrianJFox

I was on vacation and unable to test until now.   Rebooted the NAS and confirmed the workaround from the Asustor forums isn't persistent.   Uninstalled the old *.14 release, re-installed the new release, and transcode options are indeed back.   This is all on ADM 4.2.3.RK91.   A new release of ADM is out for my NAS, but I'm going to let others beta test it. 

TL;DR: New version works.

• Thanks 1