Has the app been updated to support new 2023 TVs like the LG G3?

andrew0404

andrew0404

I have been using the Roku app for years and just got a G3.  I thought the app was working fine, but then I started to notice that on many videos, the playback would hang indefinitely after a few seconds.  I can skip to another chapter and it will play for a few more seconds and hang.  I'll have to get logs when I get home, but after a quick test it seems that it is a transcoding problem.  I finally noticed that it is transcoding when I have DTS audio.  I specifically got the G3 because it now can decode DTS.  I know previous LG TVs could not.  I can turn off transcoding and everything seems to work correctly.  This isn't a long term solution however, since I have other Roku TVs in the house and I do depend on transcoding for some media since the Roku has a fairly limited playback ability, and I use the same account for those.  If I could disable transcoding on a device basis, that would make this a viable work around, since I never really want to transcode for this primary TV.

I think there are 2 issues here, correct me if I am wrong.

1. The server still seems to think that LG can't handle DTS

2. There is a bug somewhere with transcoding that is freezing playback

I will try to generate the logs and information to append to this tonight, but thought I would go ahead and post in case these are known issues.  I'll be glad to help with any troubleshooting/testing.

Edited by andrew0404
20 years...

HI, we have not added this DTS support in for the LG G3 but we can get it into the next app update. THanks.

@andrew0404Are you still using the Roku?

What I mean is:
1) You are using the Roku app connected to the LG G3 and something is wrong?
2) You are using the LG G3 app on the TV itself and something is wrong. There is no Roku involved.

I suspect you mean the question in number 1. Whereas Luke suspects your question is number 2. It is hard to discern from your original post which it is. Honestly.

Can you confirm which platform your issue is with? The LG G3 app or the Roku app. Thanks.

Edited by speechles

rbjtech
49 minutes ago, andrew0404 said:

I know previous LG TVs could not. 

Just to correct you here -  any OLED model before the C9 worked fine with DTS/DTS-HD.   Glad to see LG have finally seen the light and put in support for DTS/DTS-HD-MA and DTS:X 👍 

Lets hope other manufacturers start to follow .. 

• Agree 3

andrew0404

@Luke- Glad to hear it!  Do you think the freezing is unrelated?  If so I can help debug.  I would think that it should play fine even with transcoding, in which case I probably wouldn't have even noticed that it wasn't playing direct.

@speechles - #2. I have other Roku TVs in the house, but I am using the LG webOS app on my G3.  No Roku is connected.  I do know that that is another work around, but I would hate to have to re-connect my Roku to my nice new G3.

@rbjtech - Good to know.  I was not very well informed on the subject, but did know from scanning previous posts that DTS audio had been an issue on LG TVs. 

Edited by andrew0404
Fixed tags

andrew0404

I think I found the issue.  I knew the most likely reason was bandwidth, but I thought that couldn't be MY issue.  I have gigabit networking in my house.  I am only using a 140Mbps stream.  I didn't realize that TVs only have 100MB ports...  

I am not seeing the freezing while transcoding while using wireless.  Just ordered a USB to Ethernet adapter which should get me 300 - 400 Mbps.

• Like 1

rbjtech
20 minutes ago, andrew0404 said:

I think I found the issue.  I knew the most likely reason was bandwidth, but I thought that couldn't be MY issue.  I have gigabit networking in my house.  I am only using a 140Mbps stream.  I didn't realize that TVs only have 100MB ports...  

I am not seeing the freezing while transcoding while using wireless.  Just ordered a USB to Ethernet adapter which should get me 300 - 400 Mbps.

There is a post about doing just this on my C8 in the LG Sub-forum from a few years ago now - it solves the problem .. ;)

Soon after that however, I got fed up with the Dolby Vision MP4 limitations of the LG Player - and invested in a Shield Pro - and never looked back.    I haven't used the Emby LG Player in years ...

But it may work out for you - it really depends on the formatting and construction and portability of the source files - the LG isn't particularly fussy, but unless MKV support for DV has been introduced since I last tried and the fact HD Audio cannot be passed from the LG App (even with EARC) - then that was a deal breaker for me, thus getting the Shield.

Edited by rbjtech

andrew0404

With the G3 that 

4 hours ago, rbjtech said:

the LG isn't particularly fussy, but unless MKV support for DV has been introduced since I last tried and the fact HD Audio cannot be passed from the LG App (even with EARC)

This was one of the things I made sure of before purchasing the G3.  It does now pass HD Audio via eARC.  One of the selling points was the webOS infrastructure, and of course the availability of the Emby App.  I'll try to utilize it for a while, but may end up moving to a home-grown solution.  I used Kodi before moving to emby, so that or perhaps plasma bigscreen are always options.  For now I will try to utilize the webOS tools and see what is lacking.

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/08/2023 at 02:34, andrew0404 said:

The server still seems to think that LG can't handle DTS

Have you tested this to confirm?

On the server in the user configuration in the server settings, set only these options (don't forget to save at the bottom of the page)

You need to set these back after the test or they can cause other issues.

image.thumb.png.2bb88b279fc11ab4280f582fac97da25.png

On the TV, restart the app (or logout, then login the user) and try playback of a DTS file.  Please select a file with only a single DTS audio track and no other audio tracks.  The reason for this is that if the DTS track can't be played the TV will automatically play the next audio track and you won't know that this has occurred (unless it is a different language, commentary track, etc)

Please check whether you get full passthrough DTS to your receiver, but also try just with the TV speakers and confirm that you also get audio.

Please also check a few different DTS formats if you have them.

Please let me know how these tests perform

• Like 1

On 05/09/2023 at 08:07, SamES said:

Have you tested this to confirm?

On the server in the user configuration in the server settings, set only these options (don't forget to save at the bottom of the page)

You need to set these back after the test or they can cause other issues.

image.thumb.png.2bb88b279fc11ab4280f582fac97da25.png

On the TV, restart the app (or logout, then login the user) and try playback of a DTS file.  Please select a file with only a single DTS audio track and no other audio tracks.  The reason for this is that if the DTS track can't be played the TV will automatically play the next audio track and you won't know that this has occurred (unless it is a different language, commentary track, etc)

Please check whether you get full passthrough DTS to your receiver, but also try just with the TV speakers and confirm that you also get audio.

Please also check a few different DTS formats if you have them.

Please let me know how these tests perform

@andrew0404, were you able to test and confirm this?  Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
andrew0404

Yes, I have confirmed that.  Right now the only way I can do Direct Streaming with most of my HDR media is to turn off transcoding temporarily.  I just have to re-enable it for my Roku players when I am done.

I grabbed several of the DTS-X demos from demolandia.com and tested with them.

DTS-X and Dolby Atmos both work with the LG G3

Edited by andrew0404

48 minutes ago, andrew0404 said:

Yes, I have confirmed that.

What exactly did you do and what exactly happened?

andrew0404

I confirmed that I can turn off transcribing and direct play DTS-X videos on the G3.  I used DTS-X files from demolandia.com.  The audio plays just fine over the G3, surround sound works as expected.  I only have 5.1, but it was a 7.1 channel sample.  See below.

Screenshot 2023-10-02 164450.png

If there are any other samples/formats you would like me to test just link them or let me know what profiles.

Edited by andrew0404
  • Thanks 2

tomasb87
On 10/2/2023 at 11:46 PM, andrew0404 said:

If there are any other samples/formats you would like me to test just link them or let me know what profiles.

Hello Andrew, sorry to bother you. I believe you have confirmed that the LG built-in player now supports Dolby Atmos/DTS:X playback through MKV. Did you test this from USB directly connected to the tv?

I have read this thread and I don't think you mentioned anything about Dolby Vision. Sorry if I missed it. I'm really curious if the 2023 LG models support Dolby Vision playback from MKV files. Have you tried this by any chance? My current LG C9 doesn't support this and neither does it support Dolby Atmos/DTS:X from MKV.

I know you said you have the G3, but hopefully the same applies for the C3, which I'm in the market for.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if this is all confirmed to work then this would mean that the Emby app for LG tv's should now be able to support this as well (after an update)?

andrew0404

I'll have to see if I have any media samples with Dolby Vision.  I have played Dolby Vision media from streaming sources such as Netflix and it works correctly.  I either get a HDR banner in the top right, or a "Dolby Vision" banner. 

All of my tests are done using the LG webOS emby app.  I have not tried to play media via USB.

That is my hope, that we will get an update soon for webOS' emby app that does not try to transcode these formats.

I am not sure about the C3 vs G3.  You would need to do some investigation there.  I know that this was a new feature with the G3.

Andrew

Edited by andrew0404

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
e606er
On 2/2/2024 at 10:02 PM, Luke said:

Hi, as soon as it gets through lg review, thanks.

Hello. 

I'm new user of LG g3 and i have issues with DTS HD MA on Emby with no transcoding - No sound. But when i play video from HDD it plays correctly and transfer audio to receiver thru eARC. Maybe it possible to release app in Homebrew-repo or just give a link to .ipk file with a new release?

Emby for LG TV's 1.0.41 has been released. Stay tuned to the blog for the release announcement.

• Like 1