Continue Watching behaves unpredictable jumping accross seasons

rcutanda
Go to solution Solved by GrimReaper,

rcutanda

I am quite a new user to Emby. So far, I have used it to see films and it works great, even 4K HDR movies. However, my first experience with TV series is a bit annoying. The "Continue Watching" never directs to the next episode showing quite a random behaviour and I have to manually select the next episode. A video is worth a thousand words:

The funny thing is this behaviour is not so "random" because I have tried to delete the three seasons and start from scratch and the sequence of episodes/seasons shown in the video is always the same.

This is my folder stucture and naming:

Family Guy 1999 → Seasonxx → Family Guy - SyyEp (zz).mp4

For example:

Family Guy 1999 → Season05 → Family Guy - S05Ep (01).mp4

Family Guy 1999 → Season06 → Family Guy - S06Ep (01).mp4

Etc.

I must be missing something... but really, I have no idea. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Kind regards,

PS: This only happens with "Family Guy". With another series with multiple seasons the behaviour of Continue Watching is as expected in that other series.

Edited by rcutanda

• Solution
GrimReaper

Your episodes have not been recognized/identified properly (no metadata downloaded and likely have no ids associated) as you're using unsupported naming convention, so you're getting random results .

https://emby.media/support/articles/TV-Naming.html#episode-naming-conventions

Rename, rescan.

Edited by GrimReaper

rcutanda

Thank you, GrimReaper:

The funny thing is that I actually checked the link you suggest when I first set up the serve some weeks before posting this topic and I thought the naming of my files was just right because I got the three seasons and their episodes showing correctly in the app. And, when I whatch them manually, the next episode function has been working as expected. I never thought that the naming could affect the behaviour of the "Continue Watching" feature. Using the wonderful renamer included in the Powertoys by Microsoft I have just renamed all the episodes like this "Family Guy - SxxExx.mp4" and now everything is working like a charm. Thank you for the tip!

And just in case it can be useful for others in my situation, https://www.advancedrenamer.com is an even more powerful free renamer tool than Powertoys. I hope this helps.

Regards,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1