Media directories

MarkTheNewf
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

MarkTheNewf

Good day.  First post.  Be gentle 😉.

My old Windows-based HTPC using Windows Media Center finally bit it after just shy of 14 years.  I'm in the process of replacing it with a Minis Forum PC.  It currently has Windows 11 and I've added a 1 TB drive (for media) atop it's 512 GB main drive.  I've just got all the basics up and running on my network within windows and have decided on Emby.  To that end, I will be using it as an OTA DVR (HD Homerun quad tuner), music, and some other videos (ripped BD, streaming, or similar).

I read that the system prefers to use directories based on titles.  This is not a big deal for ripped vids and such, but I've got just over 4700 MP3 audio files.  I've got all my files in a single directory with their internal ID metadata tags edited for the files.  The files are then renamed based on this metadata.  The files also have album covers included in them.

image.thumb.png.dd636f23f85530659a02ea97bba873ef.png

image.thumb.png.501e39803cb7a48e226b0c5ddb8edb62.png

So now my question is:  is it necessary to create a directory structure such as this below to get it to run correctly?

D:\Music\Iron Maiden\Powerslave\  (containing files "01-Aces High", "02-2 Minutes to Midnight", etc...)

D:\Music\Iron Maiden\Piece of Mind\ (containing files "01-Where Eagles Dare", "02-Revelations", etc...)

I'm looking into if my software (Tag&Rename) can do that automatically as well, though I've never had a reason to do that before.

Thanks!

Mark

Edited by MarkTheNewf
remove unecessary files

Hello MarkTheNewf,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

• Solution

Hi, for music everything comes from embedded metadata. You don’t need any specific directory structure.

• Like 1