Disable transcoding for unsupported subtitles?

Samkook
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Samkook

Is there any way to disable transcoding a video when it detects that one of the subtitle is unsupported?

I have a few videos with closed captions which kodi doesn't support and it forces a transcode instead of just ignoring the closed caption which is kodi default behavior and what I would like.

That means I have to ignore using embycon, play the video directly and then manually set the watched status in emby later.

I have "Allow subtitle extraction on the fly" enabled which doesn't help and doesn't seem to work at all actually since it always ask me to burn subtitle in when any transcoding is required, unless I'm misunderstanding what the option means but sounds right from the description.

• Solution

Hi, there is currently no way to do this, although it’s not a bad idea.

The on the fly extraction works just fine, but only applies to certain  format subtitles.

• Like 1

Samkook

Hmm, guess it worked differently than I expected or the embycon behavior is different. Seems you have to choose one subtitle before playback and it can be used during playback.

I just expected all supported subtitles to be copied automatically to be available to the transcoded file seamlessly since it not really harder and it's more convenient not to have to ask or make a decision before playback.

Samkook

I did a quick test with simply an external srt and a video with no internal subs(I know the option I mentioned doesn't come into play for that test) and it asked to select the sub before playback so from what you're saying, I'm assuming it's an embycon limitation of some kind since doing the same test in a browser it doesn't ask anything and the subs are available.

I wrongly assumed it always burned in the subs when asking to select them before playback which is why I was under the impression the option wasn't working.

• Thanks 1