API support for 'icon' images (square TV & movie posters)

NadineNB

NadineNB

Hello all,

First of all, thank you so much for creating Emby! It's been over year 2 years that I use it (even decided to go with the lifetime subscription recently) and I'm thrilled with the app! It's been life-changing interacting with my media files through Emby's elegant and optimized interface.

The way I use Emby has evolved over the years: I'm now using Discord daily and would like to display an activity status of what I watch or listen to, on Emby. The amazing 'alexbcberio' made it possible by creating an Emby Discord Rich Presence solution via Premid. It relies on Emby's API to display on Discord the album covers, TV show posters and movie posters found on my local folders. Almost all I have to do, is log into my account through Emby Connect, and Discord picks up the proper image automatically.

Now, Discord activity status images are designed to be square images. This type of images are called 'icons' on TheTVDB, see 'icon' tab here: https://thetvdb.com/movies/guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-3#artwork.

They are also typically used by App stores, such as Google Play Store. See here: https://play.google.com/store/tv/show/Real_Husbands_of_Hollywood?id=2Og5_qbMcQY

So, here are my questions:

1) would it be possible to implement an image type called 'icon' in the image picker window of the app? TVDB could potentially deliver those images through its API.

2) could the featured 'icon' image be reachable through Emby's API, so that it may be used in Discord Rich Presence solutions (and other similar use cases)?

I'm attaching mockups to better illustrate my points.

Cordially.

Emby-Icon-support-mockup_image-pick-window.jpg

1-emby-icon-support_mockup_tv_1.jpg

2-emby-icon-support_mockup_tv_2.jpg

3-emby-icon-support_mockup_movie.jpg

Hi, that's very interesting and definitely doable. @GrimReaper @Happy2Playanyone want to file feature requests to fanart and moviedb to support these?

Does tvdb have a lot of these or is this just something they added recently?

• Like 1

NadineNB

Awesome, thank you for looking into it!

I have only noticed the icon recently after their redesign, they seem to be adding them more consistently for recent shows & movies (aired/released in the last 1-2 years).

• Thanks 1

GrimReaper

Tbh, I don't see those gaining much traction nor do I see what would be their use within media server. The only trace of that image type can be found on TVDB (random check on few popular/recent titles shows vast majority without Icon artwork type), purpose of which still eludes me. 

Kodi doesn't list it neither as Common nor Other artwork type, nor could I find any related discussion on Fanart.tv forums (where term Icon is very often used interchangeably with Logo) - not to mention TMDB and their mess with artwork in general.

If target is only to display Rich Presence on Discord - Icon/image on profile is already so small/scaled down that any distinction is barely possible, so IMHO it doesn't really matter what's on it as practically you won't be able to read what's written on it anyway, aside from my personal assumption (which might as well be wrong) that userbase for such function is/would be very limited.