Buffering Movies

WatchingMovies
Go to solution Solved by speechles,

WatchingMovies

I believe I'm having a transcoding issue with some of my movies but I can't figure out why.  I'm running the client app on a Roku Ultra over 100m wifi, server is running on a new WD EX2 Ultra, new Version 4.7.13.0 emby server install.  Sever is cat5 to router.  Some movies play for a few minutes, then I get a circle with 25%, 33%, etc. then it plays for a new minutes, then same circle.  The movies that have the issue are smaller old ones, the new movies that are 1080p, 4k, bigger file sizes play fine.  Movies play find on my windows laptop, same wifi network.  Let me know if anything else is needed.  I'm an emby premiere lifetime member if that matters.

embyserver.txt

WatchingMovies

I believe I'm having a transcoding issue with some of my movies but I can't figure out why.  I'm running the client app on a Roku Ultra over 100m wifi, server is running on a new WD EX2 Ultra, new Version 4.7.13.0 emby server install.  Sever is cat5 to router.  Some movies play for a few minutes, then I get a circle with 25%, 33%, etc. then it plays for a new minutes, then same circle.  The movies that have the issue are smaller old ones, the new movies that are 1080p, 4k, bigger file sizes play fine.  Movies play find on my windows laptop, same wifi network.  Let me know if anything else is needed.  I'm an emby premie re lifetime member if that matters.

embyserver.txt ffmpeg-transcode-0f17216c-f549-4d35-a5a4-f61bfb296a89_1.txt

It is having to transcode due to the framerate being 23.97 and your server simply cannot do it fast enough.  I'm not sure what alternatives you have other than converting the file.

WatchingMovies

converting the file to what?  I have other movies that are having the same issue and I can convert them, just need to know what conversion is needed.

WatchingMovies

just to be certain, converting the file from M4V to H.264/AVC and one of (.MKV, .MP4, .MOV), correct?

Hi.  No, it is the framerate that is incompatible although that seems kind of strange as, usually, it would just interpolate that on the device.

@speechlesthoughts...?

• Solution

"AverageFrameRate":23.9817371,"RealFrameRate":120,

@ebrThe video stream inside has conflicting information. Do you trust the AverageFrameRate or RealFrameRate? This might be able to be fixed with MKVTookNix GUI and a remux. It is something in the header of the file not correct. We are doing the right thing and transcoding since the Roku only supports up to 60 frames.

pwhodges

It's rhetorical - which of the two should the code prefer in the case of conflict?  Who knows, indeed...

But choosing the unlikely 120 over the commonplace 23.97 would seem an odd choice for the coder to make, unless that parameter is known to be the more likely to be correct in other situations.

Paul

WatchingMovies

Is there an adjustment I need to make in the creation of the video file or in the server setup in emby relative to the 120 over the commonplace 23.97 comment?

WatchingMovies

Would you please be more specific, sorry, not that technical.  I looked up MKVTookNix and there are several sites and tools.  Also, what are the settings I will need once using the tool.  Can this be accomplished with Handbrake?  I use that for my file creation.  Is there a setting I should be putting at a certain level to keep this from happening?

Thanks

image.png.43110a73f7be024dfc0eb587f12e7097.png

Sorry we thought most users on the forums were familiar with this software.

https://mkvtoolnix.download/downloads.html

Above is the URL to download. Find your Operating System in the list and download the appropriate application.

Once you start the app you can see the screenshot above

Drag your video to the top pane. It is shown by the number 1 arrow.
You will see all the streams inside shown by the number 2 arrow. You can enable or disable streams here. If a stream were highlighted the inactive panel on the right would show properties for that stream we can change.
But since we just want to create a new header and such we just need to start multiplexing which is shown by number 3 arrow. You can change the filename if you wish.

Once you click start multiplex a new file will be created in the same path as the old file. You can then just have Emby rescan your library. The new file will show in the "Version" drop down for that file. You do not need to remove the original unless you want to. The new file created should be Roku friendly and no longer transcode.

Edited by speechles

WatchingMovies

Worked like a charm.  When I create new files, is are there settings I should use in Handbrake so I don't have to do this with files in the future?  Thanks.

pwhodges
8 hours ago, WatchingMovies said:

Can this be accomplished with Handbrake?  I use that for my file creation.  Is there a setting I should be putting at a certain level to keep this from happening?

I would expect HandBrake to produce a good file; but maybe in this case you might need to select (on the video tab) the actual frame rate rather than the "same as source" option. 

However, note that using HandBrake will also re-encode the video - using MKVToolNix doesn't do that.

Paul

• 3 weeks later...
tedfroop

Here....Constant frame rate and same as source under the video tab.  I had the same issue long ago.   

I also found this to be a problem with 24 FPS theatrical cartoons. It skipped frames and I would get single still frames rather than smooth motion sometimes.

handbrake.png