atsc 3.0 drm playback plans?

bandit8623

bandit8623

Hello!

do you guys have any idea if you will support atsc 3.0 drm playback?  it sounds like hdhomerun is close to be able to play drm back on the device itself and on their apps...  but it sounds like every player in the chain needs to be certified to playback the drm content.  

tomorrow atsc 3.0 goes live in minneapolis and a few channels are reporting drm encrytion enabled.  

I realize that atsc 1.0 will for sure be available through 2027,  but just curious embys plans. as atsc 3.0 will likely be 1080p and better picture on those channels.  maybe 4k someday.

https://www.change.org/p/tell-the-fcc-no-drm-encryption-of-atsc-3-0-broadcasts?recruiter=73921937&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=psf_combo_share_initial&recruited_by_id=1eabd4b0-694e-11e3-b2dd-7ba90161b51e&share_bandit_exp=initial-36694718-en-US&utm_content=fht-36694718-en-us%3A8

https://cordcuttersnews.com/the-hdhomerun-nextgen-tv-atsc-3-0-ota-tuner-is-finally-certified-but-sadly-no-drm-support-yet/

thanks!

HI, we don't have an answer to this yet but we are certainly monitoring the industry to see how things shake out in regards to this.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
SHSPVR
On 8/15/2023 at 8:02 PM, bandit8623 said:

Hello!

do you guys have any idea Minionif you will support atsc 3.0 drm playback?  it sounds like hdhomerun is close to be able to play drm back on the device itself and on their apps...  but it sounds like every player in the chain needs to be certified to playback the drm content.  

tomorrow atsc 3.0 goes live in minneapolis and a few channels are reporting drm encrytion enabled.  

I realize that atsc 1.0 will for sure be available through 2027,  but just curious embys plans. as atsc 3.0 will likely be 1080p and better picture on those channels.  maybe 4k someday.

https://www.change.org/p/tell-the-fcc-no-drm-encryption-of-atsc-3-0-broadcasts?recruiter=73921937&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=psf_combo_share_initial&recruited_by_id=1eabd4b0-694e-11e3-b2dd-7ba90161b51e&share_bandit_exp=initial-36694718-en-US&utm_content=fht-36694718-en-us%3A8

https://cordcuttersnews.com/the-hdhomerun-nextgen-tv-atsc-3-0-ota-tuner-is-finally-certified-but-sadly-no-drm-support-yet/

thanks!

Unfortunately there's nothing you can do about this other than filing a following report with the FCC if you've been paying attention to lon's video and or antenna man you would know all about this post this on youtube and facebook and help get the word out let's other knows put a stop to this bs which is supposed to be free public airway not encrypt everything making dvr recording and other thing next to impossible, personally I think the ftc needs to revaluate this after all it falls under the Original VHS Hone Recording ruling which super exceeds the 1992 DMCA law which should not exist on public free airways as far as I'm concerned each local station can go under as I'm concerned this problem more than its worth it about all the big media giants who had bought them out and trying to control everything but in the end they always more many ways to get around this but there nobody to blame but themselves how things fail as typical corporate greed it try to take over thing.

If you have been paying attention to the FCC Listing and unfortunately does not look good with the amount of number of people that have posting feedback about this the numbers are shockingly low it be in the in millions by now when you consider the number of people that are actually using the airway my guess is they're trying to depress this really well especially when you consider the older community those that are on social security and etc even where I live which is 70 miles away that would really help benefit with the new ASTC 3.0 Signal  strength through walls and longer distance with benefit from this.

But in the end of the long grand scheme of things they have nobody but to blame them but themselves after all look what some of the free media streaming services are doing many people do not care about local services that much more to them has become it a serious joke since they do not do as good of a job as they used to back like in the 90s what good tv shows even I really enjoyed Stargate SG1, Atlantis and many others back in late the 90s I love sci-fi Including great amine whatever happened on saturday morning cartoons man talk about a joke nowadays. Sorry if I'm rattling on but I'm just ticked me off about the whole situation it turned into a real local **** show if you know what I mean that is not how the public airways supposed to work even the PBS has turned into a joke which I used to donate through the telephone to support my Favorite TV show Motor Week after all who doesn't want John Davis from motorweek Which I've been going since the 80s man talk about a long time yes I'm mold and I'm grouting grumpy oh well life moves on it wasn't deal with it.

bandit8623
49 minutes ago, SHSPVR said:

Unfortunately there's nothing you can do about this other than filing a following report with the FCC if you've been paying attention to lon's video and or antenna man you would know all about this post this on youtube and facebook and help get the word out let's other knows put a stop to this bs which is supposed to be free public airway not encrypt everything making dvr recording and other thing next to impossible, personally I think the ftc needs to revaluate this after all it falls under the Original VHS Hone Recording ruling which super exceeds the 1992 DMCA law which should not exist on public free airways as far as I'm concerned each local station can go under as I'm concerned this problem more than its worth it about all the big media giants who had bought them out and trying to control everything but in the end they always more many ways to get around this but there nobody to blame but themselves how things fail as typical corporate greed it try to take over thing.

If you have been paying attention to the FCC Listing and unfortunately does not look good with the amount of number of people that have posting feedback about this the numbers are shockingly low it be in the in millions by now when you consider the number of people that are actually using the airway my guess is they're trying to depress this really well especially when you consider the older community those that are on social security and etc even where I live which is 70 miles away that would really help benefit with the new ASTC 3.0 Signal  strength through walls and longer distance with benefit from this.

But in the end of the long grand scheme of things they have nobody but to blame them but themselves after all look what some of the free media streaming services are doing many people do not care about local services that much more to them has become it a serious joke since they do not do as good of a job as they used to back like in the 90s what good tv shows even I really enjoyed Stargate SG1, Atlantis and many others back in late the 90s I love sci-fi Including great amine whatever happened on saturday morning cartoons man talk about a joke nowadays. Sorry if I'm rattling on but I'm just ticked me off about the whole situation it turned into a real local **** show if you know what I mean that is not how the public airways supposed to work even the PBS has turned into a joke which I used to donate through the telephone to support my Favorite TV show Motor Week after all who doesn't want John Davis from motorweek Which I've been going since the 80s man talk about a long time yes I'm mold and I'm grouting grumpy oh well life moves on it wasn't deal with it.

im well aware of the things you posted.  I completely agree with what you said,  but my post was for emby to respond.  they did and we will see where i goes.   its more on hdhomerun and other ethernet tuners to stand up as well.  but they let this happen pants down.  

SHSPVR
9 hours ago, bandit8623 said:

im well aware of the things you posted.  I completely agree with what you said,  but my post was for emby to respond.  they did and we will see where i goes.   its more on hdhomerun and other ethernet tuners to stand up as well.  but they let this happen pants down.  

Emby and other will probably most likely not be able to get DRM playback certification we are probably gonna have to go back to the old school route of using a HDMI splitter to bypass the HDCP encryption and use HD PVR 2 or Colossus 2 to record just like with Cable and Satellite set top boxes.

HDHomeRun is worthless at this point because you will not be able to record but you should be able to watch and you'll have to use their software that if they can get it certified 

bandit8623
3 hours ago, SHSPVR said:

Emby and other will probably most likely not be able to get DRM playback certification we are probably gonna have to go back to the old school route of using a HDMI splitter to bypass the HDCP encryption and use HD PVR 2 or Colossus 2 to record just like with Cable and Satellite set top boxes.

HDHomeRun is worthless at this point because you will not be able to record but you should be able to watch and you'll have to use their software that if they can get it certified 

It sounds as if you will be able to record with hdhomerun software once certified but the drm includes options to set times on how long that file can be saved before it deletes..

emby would need to get certified drm as well which who knows what that would entail. Sounds like it's a pain. And likely won't happen. 

I'm sure someone will figure out a way to bypass this bull hopefully.

• 5 months later...
scott46953
On 8/16/2023 at 1:35 AM, Luke said:

HI, we don't have an answer to this yet but we are certainly monitoring the industry to see how things shake out in regards to this.

ATSC 3.0 Nextgen OTA TV Makes Changes to Its DRM to Help DVRs like Tablo & HDHomeRun

Just seen this pop up on my Google news today...

Any plans on getting this to work? I got several DRM channels that I would love to get working, also after the last update hevc live channels seem to transcode much easier hardware accelerated, only issue is the AC4 audio always seems to software transcode, or none of the streaming devices compatible with ac4?  Also is there any hardware acceleration for AC4?  Last question, when will I be able to switch my streaming from server to my devices from h264 to hevc-h265?  I see it in the transcode options, it's enabled, hardware and software.. but I don't see a button to turn it on.  The only time I can get hevc-h265 to my devices is directly, either from a recording or sent directly from my HD home run 3.0 stream.

SHSPVR
Just now, scott46953 said:

ATSC 3.0 Nextgen OTA TV Makes Changes to Its DRM to Help DVRs like Tablo & HDHomeRun

Just seen this pop up on my Google news today...

Any plans on getting this to work? I got several DRM channels that I would love to get working, also after the last update hevc live channels seem to transcode much easier hardware accelerated, only issue is the AC4 audio always seems to software transcode, or none of the streaming devices compatible with ac4?  Also is there any hardware acceleration for AC4?  Last question, when will I be able to switch my streaming from server to my devices from h264 to hevc-h265?  I see it in the transcode options, it's enabled, hardware and software.. but I don't see a button to turn it on.  The only time I can get hevc-h265 to my devices is directly, either from a recording or sent directly from my HD home run 3.0 stream.

That not good news it more like bad news that's the only allow direct access from those tuners you most likely not be able to record from it and as Emby it has to pass certification which I highly doubt any 3rd party software is going to be able to pass this includes Plex, NextPVR and many others,  you should spend more time focusing on getting people to put a stop this encryption by going to FCC Filing Docket 16-142 have them put there 2cent in on our local airways besides the way things are going I don't think this is going to do much good because more and more people are going to online streaming so all those local TV station broadcasters are going to pretty much be SOL.

bandit8623

This also confirms that when atsc 1.0 sunsets the group will be able to lock down everything even more .  

scott46953

They're not locking it down they're making it to where we can watch it again cuz right now, we can't even watch it at all.. you're talking about they can lock it down in the future when atsc1.0 disappears, but the current problem is we can't watch some channels now because of the DRM.. they already have the ability to turn off and they did, but now they're working on fixing it.  Here is a short text that they posted, please do a search if you want to read the full article on Google news...

The fix could be as simple as HD home run firmware update, and then a secondary update from emby if needed. 

"""This change means that Tablo DVRs and HDHomeRun amount others could build DVRs for ATSC 3.0 that support the new DRM standard. This change will let them stream OTA TV channels to a long list of supported devices. “The new A3SA DVR specification supports in-home streaming to applications hosted on common media consumption platforms such as Android, Fire, Roku, WebOS, and Tizen, with iOS support in process.  The spec supports dynamic memory provisioning for media playback (an advantage for consumer devices) and enables developers of new NEXTGEN TV platforms to bring to market innovative new options.” A3SA said in a statement sent to Cord Cutters News.

This is great news for fans of OTA DVRs that stream their recordings to multiple devices. Now we just have to wait for them to build these DVRs for customers. """

bandit8623
10 minutes ago, scott46953 said:

They're not locking it down they're making it to where we can watch it again cuz right now, we can't even watch it at all.. you're talking about they can lock it down in the future when atsc1.0 disappears, but the current problem is we can't watch some channels now because of the DRM.. they already have the ability to turn off and they did, but now they're working on fixing it.  Here is a short text that they posted, please do a search if you want to read the full article on Google news...

The fix could be as simple as HD home run firmware update, and then a secondary update from emby if needed. 

"""This change means that Tablo DVRs and HDHomeRun amount others could build DVRs for ATSC 3.0 that support the new DRM standard. This change will let them stream OTA TV channels to a long list of supported devices. “The new A3SA DVR specification supports in-home streaming to applications hosted on common media consumption platforms such as Android, Fire, Roku, WebOS, and Tizen, with iOS support in process.  The spec supports dynamic memory provisioning for media playback (an advantage for consumer devices) and enables developers of new NEXTGEN TV platforms to bring to market innovative new options.” A3SA said in a statement sent to Cord Cutters News.

This is great news for fans of OTA DVRs that stream their recordings to multiple devices. Now we just have to wait for them to build these DVRs for customers. """

its not great news its a wolf in sheeps clothing.  its better than nothing but not great.  they are making kit seem great,  this is to make it look to the fcc like the issues are worked out...  when in reality they can just do what they wanted in the first place in 2027.  watch this and see why.

Edited by bandit8623

SHSPVR
12 minutes ago, scott46953 said:

Actually that is not true you're missing the whole point of encryption they're forcing you to get a certification and you know what this is all about so they don't have another repeat of locast other than that what there freaking point of add encryption on top of the broadcast signal just make a standard broadcast signal without this garbage

Edited by SHSPVR

SHSPVR
Just now, bandit8623 said:

its not great news its a wolf in sheeps clothing.  its better than nothing but not great.  watch this and see why.

Exactly apparently someone didn't get the message of how this is really going work

• Like 1