Problems with using external players

Playing a video with an external player will force transcoding if the video contains subtitles in SRT format, which will make it impossible to use fast forward when playing the video.

OK the problem is that if we don't burn them in then you won't get any subtitles at all because there's no way to pass the subtitle url to the player. So it's kind of pick your poison, which problem do you want. I guess we'll just go ahead and do that though.

2 hours ago, Luke said:

OK the problem is that if we don't burn them in then you won't get any subtitles at all because there's no way to pass the subtitle url to the player. So it's kind of pick your poison, which problem do you want. I guess we'll just go ahead and do that though.

Why can't I transcode using ass subtitles?

2 hours ago, Luke said:

Ass subtitles can be used without transcoding.

9 hours ago, 17732 said:

Ass subtitles can be used without transcoding.

Yes but there’s no way to pass the subtitle URL to the external player, so they’ll need to be embedded.