Merge two different Emby server instances?

my95z34
Go to solution Solved by GrimReaper,

my95z34

So, I've been running two Emby server instances for quite some time now.  One for people in my home, the other for friends and family outside my home.  I am looking at merging them, for ease of management.  But I don't want anyone to lose their watched statuses and whatnot.  Is this something that is possible to do?  

Thanks in advance.

GrimReaper
9 minutes ago, my95z34 said:

I am looking at merging them, for ease of management.  But I don't want anyone to lose their watched statuses and whatnot.  Is this something that is possible to do?  

Use Backup & Restore plugin, transfer user data only. 

• Like 1

my95z34
6 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Use Backup & Restore plugin, transfer user data only. 

That wouldn't remove current users, just add the new ones, essentially?  That's the part I was worried about.

• Solution
GrimReaper
5 minutes ago, my95z34 said:

That wouldn't remove current users, just add the new ones, essentially?

Nope, you can add new users and/or merge watched statuses to an existing user or users. 

Recent related topic:

Edited by GrimReaper
Link
  • Like 1

my95z34
1 minute ago, GrimReaper said:

Nope, you can add new users and/or merge watched statuses to an existing user or users. 

Recent related topic:

Awesome, I appreciate the help.  I didn't want to try it and accidentally nuke all of my current users, lol.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
RonnieSK

Dear community !

Since i dont want to create similar topic, i try to ask here.

I successfully migrated from "free competitor" to Emby Premiere, and i have to say that this was one of the best choices i made ! Thank you for this great piece of software, the difference between the mentioned "competitor" is really incredible and worth every cent !

However im struggling with "issue" which is very much related to this topic and i would like to kindly ask for a solution :

My Emby server is running at my home (call it HOME), sharing my collected content for my family. The device is powerful enough to perform all "server" tasks, including mentioned Emby Server and transcoding, with optical network connection. I decided to share this content to my parents house (call it GARDEN) and during home HW upgrade i gifted them an AppleTV (we are running only Mac Hardware) with installed Emby Client and deployed a VPN connection. So we, my kid and they can also enjoy the content im sharing from HOME from Emby Server. Since network connection in their location is very poor (without upgrade possibilities) all content is transcoded because of speed limits, but everything works GREAT ! I decided to add a dedicated server to GARDEN also (because of different purposes) and add locally some media content. The purpose of this was to watch some titles without transcoding and grabbing network bandwith, also to have some playable content if network connection drops or something happened to my server at HOME, or VPN..whatever.

Do i have any other options to play content stored in server in GARDEN on AppleTV in GARDEN :

- without letting flow datas from GARDEN to my HOME where Emby server is located, transcode and stream back to GARDEN ?

- without switching server in GARDEN AppleTV Emby client to switch from my HOMEserver to GARDENserver ? (I dont prefer this option, they are not very technically "equipped", age plays also role here.. Im glad they learned to click play movie and they are happy )

My preference is to use MY SERVER as primary device, since im unsure if the GARDEN one will be capable of handling transcoding with right speed

I think this would be a fantastic example of how merging two servers would be great, but maybe there is some other possibility how to achieve a good solution for this.

Thank you very much for your responses !

Edited by RonnieSK

- without switching server in GARDEN AppleTV Emby client to switch from my HOMEserver to GARDENserver ?

Hi, without doing this, no, there really isn't a way.

Happy to hear that everything you're currently doing is working well though !