internet speed issue with emby server

El_Cookie
Go to solution Solved by El_Cookie,

Q-Droid

Even if Plex is somewhat faster both are slow for a LAN connection. You should see much faster download from server to local PC. Remote downloads will be limited by the service in between and as far as I know these are not governed by Emby settings for streaming limits.

Your problem is most likely something on TrueNAS or network. Have you tested file transfers from NAS to PC, assuming you may also be using TrueNAS for shared storage?

• Agree 1

rbjtech

Agreed - I'm getting wirespeed also - emby does not throttle this at all - LAN or WAN.   

(tbh we WANT to be able to throttle this but can't .. the opposite of what you want .. 😎 - I have to use rate_limit on nginx to throttle on the WAN..)

Edited by rbjtech

In your log I can see the server is being hit pretty hard with requests from something reporting a user agent of :

UserAgent: axios/1.2.2

Whatever that is I would shut it down. It's not really an equivalent comparison with Plex given that condition. Also something is being streamed to android tv during the time of this test, so I would eliminate that as well.

• Solution
El_Cookie

Hi,

I had exceeded the daily limit of reponse I could not respond. I am a noob here 😁 .

So, 

Even if Plex is somewhat faster both are slow for a LAN connection. 

It's normal my lan connection is 100 mbps, because of my faulty ethernetcable. But I fixed it.

In your log I can see the server is being hit pretty hard with requests from something reporting a user agent 

I don't know what is user agent : axios, but I don't get the requests that appear any more.

I won't go into too much detail about my research, but in the end the problem was due to the ZFS properties of the datasets.

The properties "primarycache" and "secondarycache" with the value metadata instead of all. By changing this value in the dataset, the download speed increased to 100 MB/s on Emby.

But I'd like to know why with Plex and Jellyfin I didn't notice any slowness, but with Emby I did ? 

El_Cookie

Last question, Is it normal to find errors in the hardware detection logs here ?

For example :

"Message": "Failed to open the drm device /dev/dri/renderD128"
Message": "GetDeviceName: unable to open pci.ids file "

I have a Nvidia T400 graphic card used by Emby and works.

Edited by El_Cookie

Q-Droid
23 minutes ago, El_Cookie said:

It's normal my lan connection is 100 mbps, because of my faulty ethernetcable. But I fixed it.

Yeah, that will do it.

23 minutes ago, El_Cookie said:

But I'd like to know why with Plex and Jellyfin I didn't notice any slowness, but with Emby I did ? 

This is speculation on my part. They all do things differently and my guess is that Plex and Jellyfin were just over the minimum threshold rate for what worked and Emby was just below the threshold. Either way they were all severely restricted by the bad cable and possibly the ZFS config.

El_Cookie

Don't worry about the cable, after changing the cable I still had the same problem of slowness but as soon as I changed the ZFS configuration the change in speed was radical.

Thanks for your time 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

rbjtech
2 hours ago, El_Cookie said:

Don't worry about the cable, after changing the cable I still had the same problem of slowness but as soon as I changed the ZFS configuration the change in speed was radical.

Thanks for your time 🙂

This is actually pretty interesting, as there was another thread recently on ZFS issue on high bandwidth playback - direct SMB was no issues, just emby.   I'm wondering if there is some correlation between the ZFS buffer size and the way emby 'reads' the data into it's buffers ..

2 hours ago, El_Cookie said:

I won't go into too much detail about my research, but in the end the problem was due to the ZFS properties of the datasets.

The properties "primarycache" and "secondarycache" with the value metadata instead of all. By changing this value in the dataset, the download speed increased to 100 MB/s on Emby.

I don't know ZFS at all - but if this fixed it for you - it may fix it for the other OP .. let me find the thread.

Thanks !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

El_Cookie
3 hours ago, rbjtech said:

This is actually pretty interesting, as there was another thread recently on ZFS issue on high bandwidth playback - direct SMB was no issues, just emby.   I'm wondering if there is some correlation between the ZFS buffer size and the way emby 'reads' the data into it's buffers ..

I don't know ZFS at all - but if this fixed it for you - it may fix it for the other OP .. let me find the thread.

Thanks !

I am delighted to know that my research can be of use to someone else.

I'm also interested in the thread if you find it

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

It sounds like this is a moot point now but I did find something that may impact transfer speeds and have made a change on the server beta channel.

• Like 1