Guidance about using IPTV

BensonWright

BensonWright

Hi everyone,

I'm running emby on ubuntu 22.04 with mounted shares, xtremehd iptv, epg.best, iptv-org from github and xteve. The ubuntu is hosted on a hyper-v and on an older generation machine. 

XtremeHD has too many streams to be handled reasonably so I added xteve to filter out the playlist. The expectation would be that it could handle the stream and buffer, which it does however not consistently. It could be the hdhomerun of iptv tuners.

I need something that will work better and this is about tv afterall, so it should be possible to fix from an armchair. Any feedback welcome. Glad to post more about the setup.

Hi there, we are working on improving our channel management features, assuming that's what you're asking about.

BensonWright

Thanks for the response, Luke. That's great news. It's not the management aspect that is a problem for me specifically. That is straight forward. The indexing is more problematic since the database retains references to channels that the m3u list has changed and then multiple same channels are listed and not working, even when m3us are deleted from emby.

I keep checking emby against VLC for the TV streams. The HD Homerun channels work great and almost always in emby. It's the inconsistent streams from the m3u lists that are the main culprit I think. This is why I was excited about adding xteve to aggregate the playlists and feed a buffered stream to emby but it is not reliable enough so I am kind of stuck.

VLC forwards to the next channel if the stream stops; iptv smarters handles the streams more consistently. I've tried lots of combinations even stacking the xteves setting one as a perimeter tuner with a bigger buffer, invoking ffmpeg and vlc for restreaming and buffering various combinations with 50/50 success.

I really love emby and the tv streaming was initially a bonus since I was primarily looking for a personal media server for my MP3s. Again, works great with my hd homerun but not quite yet with the iptv streams. I hope this helps.  

Edited by BensonWright
  • Thanks 1

BensonWright

One tip that I got from you was to use an M3U to strm file script. I have the m3u script create series, movies and tv stream files daily and one of the emby servers indexes them currently. Works great with the on demand series and movies from XtremeHD. The folders are monitored for changes and may/may not be keeping up with the changes. Emby just keeps getting better. Eagerly anticipating the updates.

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
BensonWright

Many of the same issues in threadfin/xteve channel mapping stinks; could import the tags and make channel filters saving folks a buttload of tinker time. It's better than it was but still not working great with Emby, spins starting channel errors with no compatible streams. Hopefully threadfin continues to make improvements. More channels are working and streaming reliably than before.  I have threadfin using VLC as the restreamer. Still looking for a better option for an aggregator restreamer that works great with Emby.

• 1 month later...
BensonWright

Threadfin 1.0.19 and emby 4.8.0.55 are working. There are still issues with the playlist streams. It is hit or miss with many of the channels from the free playlists and iptv provider with the direct streams.

Edited by BensonWright
clarifying
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
BensonWright

Threadfin 1.0.23 is working well with the 4.8.0.61 beta. I am having some timeouts on some of the streams, some of them take a bit longer to load. If I start the stream with VLC first it muticasts and  then emby can play it. I am running nginx to proxy with caching and it really helps with the image loads. I'm considering adding in the Module ngx_stream_proxy_module. It has the proxy_socket_keepalive  that might help and reconnect a dropped stream, maybe, not sure.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
BensonWright

That's cool, how well does their playlist work with Emby? Is their EPG pretty good? XtremeHD has been pretty reliable for me and I've also had good success with Calipto but I do not feed them directly into Emby. I have been using the Threadfin restreamer  to aggregate and filter the playlistls and buffer the streams and with mixed success. With the VoD there are 10s of thousands of streams to get jumbled together through the IPTV tuner so I also create strm files from the m3u for the movies and series channels. The hdhomerun with 4 tuners has been rock solid. The setup has been working pretty well although still not prefect with the IPTV.  

• 1 month later...
BensonWright

Reporting back. Here are the logs from Threadfin 1.0.23 and Emby-Server 4.9.0.3 when I try to use a stream that works with VLC and that times out in Emby. If I start the stream with VLC, Threadfin multicasts the stream and emby can use it. Starting the stream on Emby solely times out and it says the client terminated the connection. 

-----

Threadfin log

-----

2024-02-16 09:37:33 [Threadfin] Streaming Status:       Playlist: XtremeHD Local - Tuner: 0 / 10

2024-02-16 20:20:31 [Threadfin] Buffer:                 true [ffmpeg]

2024-02-16 20:20:31 [Threadfin] Buffer Size:            8192 KB

2024-02-16 20:20:31 [Threadfin] Channel Name:           Ancient Aliens

2024-02-16 20:20:31 [Threadfin] Client User-Agent:      VLC/3.0.0-git LibVLC/3.0.0-git

2024-02-16 20:20:45 [Threadfin] Streaming Status:       Playlist: XtremeHD Local - Tuner: 1 / 10

2024-02-16 20:20:45 [Threadfin] FFMPEG path:            /usr/bin/ffmpeg

2024-02-16 20:20:45 [Threadfin] Streaming URL: [URL redacted]         

2024-02-16 20:20:45 [Threadfin] FFMPEG:                 Processing data

2024-02-16 20:20:45 [Threadfin] Streaming Status:       Receive data from FFMPEG

2024-02-16 20:20:51 [Threadfin] FFMPEG log:             [h264 @ 0x558f8a6828c0] non-existing SPS 0 referenced in buffering period

2024-02-16 20:21:03 [Threadfin] Streaming Status:       Buffering data from FFMPEG

2024-02-16 20:21:03 [Threadfin] Streaming Status:       Client has terminated the connection

2024-02-16 20:21:03 [Threadfin] Streaming Status:       Channel: Ancient Aliens (Clients: 0)

2024-02-16 20:21:05 [Threadfin] Streaming Status:       Channel: Ancient Aliens - No client is using this channel anymore. Streaming Server connection has ended

2024-02-16 20:21:05 [Threadfin] Streaming Status:       Playlist: XtremeHD Local - Tuner: 0 / 10

-----

embyserver.txt

-----

(The channel is in the database)

2024-02-16 15:12:51.336 Info LiveTV: Found epg channel in XmlTV  Ancient Aliens 25701

-----

(A terminated stream in both emby and vlc)

2024-02-16 15:20:29.381 Info Server: http/1.0 POST http://host1/emby/Sessions/Playing/Stopped?X-Emby-Client=Emby Web&X-Emby-Device-Name=Opera Windows&X-Emby-Device-Id=128c654e-c78d-456e-9bca-68b0ff62a05f&X-Emby-Client-Version=4.9.0.2&X-Emby-Token=x_secret1_x&X-Emby-Language=en-us&reqformat=json. UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/120.0.0.0 Safari/537.36 OPR/106.0.0.0
2024-02-16 15:20:29.382 Info SessionManager: Playback stopped reported by app Emby Web 4.9.0.2 on Opera Windows playing Ancient Aliens. Stopped at 18049013 ms

-----

(Trying to access the live stream with emby only)

2024-02-16 15:41:07.268 Error MediaSourceManager: Error opening live stream
    *** Error Report ***
    Version: 4.9.0.3
    Command line: /opt/emby-server/system/EmbyServer.dll -programdata /var/lib/emby -ffdetect /opt/emby-server/bin/ffdetect -ffmpeg /opt/emby-server/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /opt/emby-server/bin/ffprobe -restartexitcode 3 -updatepackage emby-server-deb_{version}_amd64.deb
    Operating system: Linux version 5.15.0-92-generic (buildd@lcy02-amd64-005) (gcc (Ubuntu 11.4.0-1ubuntu1~22.04) 11.4.0, GNU ld (GNU Binutils for Ubuntu) 2.38) #102-Ubunt
    Framework: .NET 6.0.25
    OS/Process: x64/x64
    Runtime: opt/emby-server/system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
    Processor count: 8
    Data path: /var/lib/emby
    Application path: /opt/emby-server/system
    MediaBrowser.Model.Net.HttpException: MediaBrowser.Model.Net.HttpException: Connection to: [URL redacted] timed out
     ---> System.Threading.Tasks.TaskCanceledException: The request was canceled due to the configured HttpClient.Timeout of 30 seconds elapsing.
     ---> System.TimeoutException: The operation was canceled.
     ---> System.Threading.Tasks.TaskCanceledException: The operation was canceled.
     ---> System.IO.IOException: Unable to read data from the transport connection: Operation canceled.
     ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException (125): Operation canceled
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.AwaitableSocketAsyncEventArgs.ThrowException(SocketError error, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
       at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.AwaitableSocketAsyncEventArgs.System.Threading.Tasks.Sources.IValueTaskSource<System.Int32>.GetResult(Int16 token)
       at System.Net.Http.HttpConnection.InitialFillAsync(Boolean async)
       at System.Net.Http.HttpConnection.SendAsyncCore(HttpRequestMessage request, Boolean async, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
       at System.Net.Http.HttpConnection.SendAsyncCore(HttpRequestMessage request, Boolean async, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
       at System.Net.Http.HttpConnectionPool.SendWithVersionDetectionAndRetryAsync(HttpRequestMessage request, Boolean async, Boolean doRequestAuth, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
       at System.Net.Http.DiagnosticsHandler.SendAsyncCore(HttpRequestMessage request, Boolean async, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
       at System.Net.Http.RedirectHandler.SendAsync(HttpRequestMessage request, Boolean async, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
       at System.Net.Http.HttpClient.<SendAsync>g__Core|83_0(HttpRequestMessage request, HttpCompletionOption completionOption, CancellationTokenSource cts, Boolean disposeCts, CancellationTokenSource pendingRequestsCts, CancellationToken originalCancellationToken)
       at System.Net.Http.HttpClient.HandleFailure(Exception e, Boolean telemetryStarted, HttpResponseMessage response, CancellationTokenSource cts, CancellationToken cancellationToken, CancellationTokenSource pendingRequestsCts)
       at System.Net.Http.HttpClient.<SendAsync>g__Core|83_0(HttpRequestMessage request, HttpCompletionOption completionOption, CancellationTokenSource cts, Boolean disposeCts, CancellationTokenSource pendingRequestsCts, CancellationToken originalCancellationToken)
       at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpClientManager.CoreHttpClientManager.SendAsyncInternal(HttpRequestOptions options, String httpMethod)
       at Emby.LiveTV.EmbyTV.GetChannelStreamWithDirectStreamProvider(BaseItem dbChannel, String providerChannelId, String streamId, List`1 currentLiveStreams, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
       at Emby.LiveTV.LiveTvManager.GetChannelStream(String id, String mediaSourceId, List`1 currentLiveStreams, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
       at Emby.Server.Implementations.Library.MediaSourceManager.OpenLiveStreamInternal2(LiveStreamRequest request, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
    Source: Emby.Server.Implementations
    TargetSite: Void MoveNext()
    InnerException: System.Threading.Tasks.TaskCanceledException: The request was canceled due to the configured HttpClient.Timeout of 30 seconds elapsing.
    Source: System.Net.Http
    TargetSite: Void HandleFailure(System.Exception, Boolean, System.Net.Http.HttpResponseMessage, System.Threading.CancellationTokenSource, System.Threading.CancellationToken, System.Threading.CancellationTokenSource)
       at System.Net.Http.HttpClient.HandleFailure(Exception e, Boolean telemetryStarted, HttpResponseMessage response, CancellationTokenSource cts, CancellationToken cancellationToken, CancellationTokenSource pendingRequestsCts)
       at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpClientManager.CoreHttpClientManager.SendAsyncInternal(HttpRequestOptions options, String httpMethod)
    InnerException: System.TimeoutException: The operation was canceled.
    Source: 
    TargetSite: 
    InnerException: System.Threading.Tasks.TaskCanceledException: The operation was canceled.
       at System.Net.Http.HttpConnectionPool.SendWithVersionDetectionAndRetryAsync(HttpRequestMessage request, Boolean async, Boolean doRequestAuth, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
       at System.Net.Http.DiagnosticsHandler.SendAsyncCore(HttpRequestMessage request, Boolean async, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
       at System.Net.Http.RedirectHandler.SendAsync(HttpRequestMessage request, Boolean async, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
    InnerException: System.IO.IOException: Unable to read data from the transport connection: Operation canceled.
    Source: System.Net.Sockets
    TargetSite: Void ThrowException(System.Net.Sockets.SocketError, System.Threading.CancellationToken)
       at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.AwaitableSocketAsyncEventArgs.ThrowException(SocketError error, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
       at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.AwaitableSocketAsyncEventArgs.System.Threading.Tasks.Sources.IValueTaskSource<System.Int32>.GetResult(Int16 token)
    InnerException: System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: Operation canceled
    Source: 
    TargetSite: 

2024-02-16 15:41:07.276 Error Server: Error processing request
    *** Error Report ***
    Version: 4.9.0.3
    Command line: /opt/emby-server/system/EmbyServer.dll -programdata /var/lib/emby -ffdetect /opt/emby-server/bin/ffdetect -ffmpeg /opt/emby-server/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /opt/emby-server/bin/ffprobe -restartexitcode 3 -updatepackage emby-server-deb_{version}_amd64.deb
    Operating system: Linux version 5.15.0-92-generic (buildd@lcy02-amd64-005) (gcc (Ubuntu 11.4.0-1ubuntu1~22.04) 11.4.0, GNU ld (GNU Binutils for Ubuntu) 2.38) #102-Ubunt
    Framework: .NET 6.0.25
    OS/Process: x64/x64
    Runtime: opt/emby-server/system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
    Processor count: 8
    Data path: /var/lib/emby
    Application path: /opt/emby-server/system
    MediaBrowser.Model.Net.HttpException: MediaBrowser.Model.Net.HttpException: Connection to [URL redacted] timed out
     ---> System.Threading.Tasks.TaskCanceledException: The request was canceled due to the configured HttpClient.Timeout of 30 seconds elapsing.
     ---> System.TimeoutException: The operation was canceled.
     ---> System.Threading.Tasks.TaskCanceledException: The operation was canceled.
     ---> System.IO.IOException: Unable to read data from the transport connection: Operation canceled.
     ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException (125): Operation canceled
       at Emby.LiveTV.EmbyTV.GetChannelStreamWithDirectStreamProvider(BaseItem dbChannel, String providerChannelId, String streamId, List`1 currentLiveStreams, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
       at Emby.LiveTV.LiveTvManager.GetChannelStream(String id, String mediaSourceId, List`1 currentLiveStreams, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
       at Emby.Server.Implementations.Library.MediaSourceManager.OpenLiveStreamInternal2(LiveStreamRequest request, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
       at Emby.Server.Implementations.Library.MediaSourceManager.OpenLiveStreamInternal(LiveStreamRequest request, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
       at Emby.Server.Implementations.Library.MediaSourceManager.OpenLiveStream(LiveStreamRequest request, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
       at Emby.Server.MediaEncoding.Api.MediaInfoService.OpenMediaSource(OpenMediaSource request, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
       at Emby.Server.MediaEncoding.Api.MediaInfoService.GetPlaybackInfo(GetPostedPlaybackInfo request, Boolean allowMediaProbe, String newPlaySessionId, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
       at Emby.Server.MediaEncoding.Api.MediaInfoService.Post(GetPostedPlaybackInfo request)
       at Emby.Server.Implementations.Services.ServiceController.GetTaskResult(Task task)
       at Emby.Server.Implementations.Services.ServiceHandler.ProcessRequestAsync(HttpListenerHost httpHost, IServerApplicationHost appHost, IRequest httpReq, IResponse httpRes, IStreamHelper streamHelper, RestPath restPath, String responseContentType, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
       at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpServer.HttpListenerHost.RequestHandler(IRequest httpReq, ReadOnlyMemory`1 urlString, ReadOnlyMemory`1 localPath, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
    Source: Emby.Server.Implementations
    InnerException: System.Threading.Tasks.TaskCanceledException: The request was canceled due to the configured HttpClient.Timeout of 30 seconds elapsing.
    TargetSite: Void HandleFailure(System.Exception, Boolean, System.Net.Http.HttpResponseMessage, System.Threading.CancellationTokenSource, System.Threading.CancellationToken, System.Threading.CancellationTokenSource)
    InnerException: System.TimeoutException: The operation was canceled.
    Source: 
    TargetSite: 
    InnerException: System.Threading.Tasks.TaskCanceledException: The operation was canceled.
    InnerException: System.IO.IOException: Unable to read data from the transport connection: Operation canceled.
    Source: System.Net.Sockets
    TargetSite: Void ThrowException(System.Net.Sockets.SocketError, System.Threading.CancellationToken)
    InnerException: System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: Operation canceled
    Source: 
    TargetSite: 
-----

Edited by GrimReaper
URLs redacted

BensonWright

Hi Luke! Thanks for responding. The URL is reachable internally on my network with the .local URL. It's just timing out when I try to start the stream through emby alone. Once the stream is multicasting, Emby will pick it up. These streams from the IPTV service provider can take a long time to access but I hesitate about requesting an increase to the timeout. Here it is working in the embyserver.txt:

2024-02-16 15:58:33.218 Info SessionManager: Playback start reported by app Emby Web 4.9.0.2 playing Ancient Aliens. Started at 0 ms  

Edited by BensonWright

BensonWright

I can't seem to edit the post with the threadfin info in it. I made a rookie mistake and I need to remove some information from it if possible or delete it. I should have scrubbed it better. 

Edited by BensonWright

GrimReaper
26 minutes ago, BensonWright said:

I can't seem to edit the post with the threadfin info in it. I made a rookie mistake and I need to remove some information from it if possible or delete it. I should have scrubbed it better. 

URLs redacted. 

• Facepalm 1

• 2 weeks later...
BensonWright

The IPTV services suck, that's the problem. The HDHomerun is rock solid. Any video on the file server plays without an issue. The strm files work from the m3u lists and manage the huge libraries of content-searchable. All the other media works great just needing patience about getting reliable streams from reliable service providers. I finally have it working with a single stream continuous for several days off of threadfin only seeing minor glitching with full motion video.

BensonWright

The searches take a while and that is probably on my end; the ubuntu VMs are in hyper-v and on old hardware; Emby has indexed all of the strm files from the service provider m3u and it's a ton. Just to report that the searches have been iffy on the iphone app and emby theatre. 4.9.0.5 seems to be working better with all of the above than 4.8.1.0 and with the IPTV streams. I've been toying with this for a while so I'm glad to see some big improvements. Hopefully this helps.

BensonWright

The geekiest thing I did was put the differencing disks on ram cache drives, sorry.