Emby doesn't wake my Asustor AS1102T

MaidenHell
Go to solution Solved by MaidenHell,

MaidenHell

Everything is set fine on my server to be awakened, but Emby is not able to do it.

Emby does start fine on a server restart, so for now I have my server set to restart every morning, and Emby is fine all day.

I shouldn't have to do this, but for now it's all I have that makes it work properly.

Live TV still stinks, never worked great with Plex either. That's why I had retired my older HDhomerun and bought a new one thinking the other was just too old, nope same thing with Emby on Live TV. I'm not sweating that though, just the no wakeup thing, hopefully there is a solution for this.

I'm loving Emby though.

MaidenHell

My computer sitting next to the server -Win 11, Samsung TV, Samsung Galaxy A13 5G, TCL Roku TV.

Instead of it opening, I get the pick a server page, which it won't see my server.

It's fine after a server restart, and everything can connect to Emby. I can get to anything else on the server, and they work fine, but Emby still has the pick a server page, so I know the drives are awake, but Emby still couldn't see it. I've made sure the ports are all set right, and they are. But Emby is fine if you do a server restart, physical restart.

My computer sitting next to the server 

What Emby app are you using on the computer?

You said page, so if you mean the web app, then web apps can't wake machines on the network. Our windows app can though.

rbjtech
2 hours ago, MaidenHell said:

The computer next to the server is running Win 11 pro using the Microsoft store app.

I would try the Windows Desktop App - it is far superior to the Store App

https://emby.media/emby-theater.html

If the PC Emby Client and Emby Server are on the same LAN - then a Magic packet' is sent on Emby client startup, which 'should' wake the target device...

Edited by rbjtech

On 8/11/2023 at 12:24 PM, MaidenHell said:

The computer next to the server is running Win 11 pro using the Microsoft store app.

How exactly did you try to wake the server from the app?

MaidenHell
On 8/12/2023 at 1:23 PM, Luke said:

How exactly did you try to wake the server from the app?

On the app if it's not opening like it should, there is an option to wake the server, never worked on waking it up.

MaidenHell
18 hours ago, Jägs said:

Just to double check, do you have WOL(Wake On LAN) enabled?  I don't think it is by default in ADM, so you will want to check to make sure you have it turned on:

https://www.asustor.com/en/online/College_topic?topic=103

Another option would be to prevent your server from sleeping altogether, which is in the same settings area.

The server is set to wake WOL. For now a server restart in the morning solves it... so to speak, because since I set the server to restart every morning before I get up Emby connects fine to it all day.

MaidenHell

double posted

Edited by MaidenHell
double posted am trying to delete it, don't see that option

MaidenHell
On 8/11/2023 at 1:46 PM, rbjtech said:

I would try the Windows Desktop App - it is far superior to the Store App

https://emby.media/emby-theater.html

If the PC Emby Client and Emby Server are on the same LAN - then a Magic packet' is sent on Emby client startup, which 'should' wake the target device...

I'll give that a run, but it's every device and TV that when opening Emby, I get the pick a server page or window

2 hours ago, MaidenHell said:

I'll give that a run, but it's every device and TV that when opening Emby, I get the pick a server page or window

Let us know how you get on. Thanks.

scb99

This may be a stupid comment, and apologies if so, but once the NAS went to sleep you need to send a WOL packet to it to wake it up again, and obviously Emby isn't going to do that

9 hours ago, scb99 said:

This may be a stupid comment, and apologies if so, but once the NAS went to sleep you need to send a WOL packet to it to wake it up again, and obviously Emby isn't going to do that

The Emby Windows, Android and iOS apps can send WOL packets to the server machine.

scb99
9 hours ago, Luke said:

The Emby Windows, Android and iOS apps can send WOL packets to the server machine.

That‘s very interesting and sorry for the misunderstanding.

Can I just ask, what triggers the app to send a magic packet?

3 hours ago, scb99 said:

That‘s very interesting and sorry for the misunderstanding.

Can I just ask, what triggers the app to send a magic packet?

The command in the context menu on the server selection screen.

• Thanks 1

MaidenHell

For now I'm just going to leave it at restarting my server every morning before I wake up, it's working fine that way, and I have no problems accessing it. Which reminds me I need to look at config on my PCIe 2,5GbE card on it's wake up, I remember it had a choice of a 10 or100 wake up signal, or maybe it was Emby, I have to look when I'm not so worn out. Seems like one of them defaulted to 10Mbps on the WOL, but I think my NIC card doesn't do 10Mbps, only 100 -2500.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

rbjtech
10 hours ago, MaidenHell said:

For now I'm just going to leave it at restarting my server every morning before I wake up, it's working fine that way, and I have no problems accessing it. Which reminds me I need to look at config on my PCIe 2,5GbE card on it's wake up, I remember it had a choice of a 10 or100 wake up signal, or maybe it was Emby, I have to look when I'm not so worn out. Seems like one of them defaulted to 10Mbps on the WOL, but I think my NIC card doesn't do 10Mbps, only 100 -2500.

It's actually a very valid reason for it to not send the signal - sometimes the switch itself is not compatible with 10Mbit Ethernet - and the port will power itself off or simply think nothing is connected.  Good catch !

• 2 weeks later...
  • Solution
MaidenHell

At least on the 2.5 GbE NIC on my computer was what had the 10Mb set for the WOL, That's changed now to the 100Mb setting.

I retired the AS1102T.

I just got through setting up my new server Asustor Lockerstor Gen 2 AS6702T, this thing is flying along now, I was able to take my 2- 8TB HGST and pretty much just stick them in, and it updated ADM and all the Apps. I also put in 2- 1TB 2280 NVME drives for read/write cache, and I have a place for two more NVME's that I can use for storage also.

I deleted the morning restarts of the server, I'll know tomorrow if it's all good, I bet it is.

Thank you everybody!

• Thanks 1