Subtitles not working on Samsung S95B?

Yvese

As title says. Tried watching an anime movie with the emby app and subs don't show up. I had to reencode and burnin the subs for it to work. Movie use .ass subs.

I've also tried movies with srt and pgs and they don't show up either. My previous TV was a Q70R and subs worked fine on those.

TV and emby app are on latest update.

1 hour ago, Luke said:

Hi there, let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks!

Ok after messing around it seems after selecting a sub it doesn't actually turn on. It just switches back to 'off'

I've attached the log. Hopefully it has something useful in there. That or there's a setting I'm missing somewhere.

embyserver.txt

Edited by Yvese

1 hour ago, Yvese said:

Ok after messing around it seems after selecting a sub it doesn't actually turn on. It just switches back to 'off'

I've attached the log. Hopefully it has something useful in there. That or there's a setting I'm missing somewhere.

embyserver.txt 157.48 kB · 0 downloads

Hi, This is like your issue:

5c9b141743595_Untitled.png

2 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, This is like your issue:

5c9b141743595_Untitled.png

Ok I tried that and it works but now I'm transcoding instead of direct playing. As I said my previous TV works fine just direct playing as long as it wasn't pgs subs. Also tried the xbox app and same issue there with subs not displaying.

I tried playing a file directly through a usb and the subs worked. The problem on the emby app on my S95B is it refuses to even enable any sub. It's just stuck on 'off'. The video and audio are fine.

Edited by Yvese

Reinstalled the app on my tv and it seems I can select subs again but they're still not displaying. Subs are .ass and .srt.

46 minutes ago, Yvese said:

Ok I tried that and it works but now I'm transcoding instead of direct playing. As I said my previous TV works fine just direct playing as long as it wasn't pgs subs. Also tried the xbox app and same issue there with subs not displaying.

I tried playing a file directly through a usb and the subs worked. The problem on the emby app on my S95B is it refuses to even enable any sub. It's just stuck on 'off'. The video and audio are fine.

The Samsung TV does not natively support PGS subtitles, so between avoiding transcoding or having those subtitles, you'll have to choose which is more important to you.

Perhaps your middle ground is acquiring external text .srt subtitles.

1 minute ago, Yvese said:

Reinstalled the app on my tv and it seems I can select subs again but they're still not displaying. Subs are .ass and .srt.

Hi there, let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks!

Ok I tried extracting the srt/ass subs and put it in the same folder and that seems to work. I guess for some reason it doesn't work if it's in MKV container?

On 8/8/2023 at 12:47 PM, Yvese said:

Ok I tried extracting the srt/ass subs and put it in the same folder and that seems to work. I guess for some reason it doesn't work if it's in MKV container?

It works just fine, but extracting on the fly is probably just taking too long in your environment.