Why does scrolling keep jumping back to the beginning??

Ronstang

Ronstang

Every time I scroll down in  the emby app on one of my TVs to find a movie at some point it suddenly jumps back to the top.  If I go to "S" to look at all movies that begin with the letter S and scroll down it will just jump back to the beginning of the S list again.....which is VERY annoying when you have a huge collection.  This isn't a new problem, I have seen it reported before, but I cannot find it in a search, and it has been going on for a LONG LONG time so why has this not been fixed??

I am not sure if this is a server issue or an emby app issue but whichever it is it is high time it was addressed.  It makes looking for a movie painful.  All my TVs are some flavor of Android that I have experienced this on, I am not sure on the LG TVs since I do not use them.

embyserver.txt

Ronstang

@seanbuffThanks, I knew I had seen it but that only proves one thing.....the issue is old and still hasn't been addressed.  I have noticed this for years too.  I really wish they would fix this, it is annoying....super annoying.

• Agree 2

rbjtech

@ebr

Agree - On AndroidTV it seems to work correctly for the 'first time' after loading but susequent alphabet picker attempts it does all sorts of weird stuff - for me it jumps to the last item.    Closing an re-opening fixes it again but there is clearly an issue here. 'A' and 'B' seems to work though .. ?

Previously we have had some issues with the special character from Aeon Flux (the combined A and E) but tried removing that but no joy.

A fix for this would be good.  Happy to help get this one sorted.

Thanks !

Ronstang
3 hours ago, rbjtech said:

for me it jumps to the last item.

I did notice it do that last night so I figured this is a new wrinkle due to Android Beta 2.0.88....but what choice do I have, I wanted my genres back that have been missing forever.

• 2 weeks later...
Ronstang
1 hour ago, Luke said:

Are you still having an issue with this?

Not sure since I have not been scrolling through my collection lately looking for something but I will try it next time I get a chance and let you know.

• Thanks 1

Ronstang

OK, I just tested this Luke.  It still pops back to the beginning of the list for the letter chosen to search under...occasionally, but it seems to be less frequent.  But....there is either a new wrinkle or one I have never noticed.  When you go to the alphabet list and select a letter in the margin if you go back and select a different letter before that letter in the alphabet when you hit the action button on the remote it will only go to "Z".  

I tried this several times by backing out of the library and re-entering it, which seems to reset this issue, and each time trying to pick a letter above the previous results in always selecting "Z".  It appears you can select a letter after the current choice and it will go to that letter but the minute you try to select a letter that comes before the current selection it always pops to "Z".

Strange, very strange....but hey it keeps things interesting.  LOL

13 hours ago, Ronstang said:

It still pops back to the beginning of the list for the letter chosen to search under

I still cannot reproduce this.

13 hours ago, Ronstang said:

When you go to the alphabet list and select a letter in the margin if you go back and select a different letter before that letter in the alphabet when you hit the action button on the remote it will only go to "Z". 

but I just found and corrected this.

• Thanks 1

Ronstang
46 minutes ago, ebr said:

I still cannot reproduce this.

It's been doing this forever for me.  Maybe it's an Android TV thing but it is definitely happening because other people are experiencing weird behavior like this too.  Scroll fast and see if it does it.  

Maybe we'll get lucky and the two issues are related.  You can test with the new beta.

Thanks.

Ronstang
9 hours ago, ebr said:

Maybe we'll get lucky and the two issues are related.  You can test with the new beta.

I just tested it and sure enough it still pops back to the beginning of the list for the chosen letter.  The other issue is not resolved but has changed.  I can chose a letter before the current one and it goes to that and when I choose one after it goes to that at times but at some point choosing one after the current results in it only going to "Z" and once it does that it won't go anywhere else.

I am running the latest betas of both the server and Android app on the TVs

Edited by Ronstang

rbjtech

AndroidTV - Latest beta.

After the first usage (which works), If I select A-G - no issues - if I try and select anything after G, then it always jumps to the very last item.

i have ~1300 Movies 

Tried multiple users - same result.

TV Series has the same behavior - works first time - then keeps jumping to the last item.

Edited by rbjtech

Ronstang
4 hours ago, ebr said:

How many items are in the list you are testing with?

4300....but that is a subset because I am only looking in one folder

Edited by Ronstang

21 hours ago, rbjtech said:

After the first usage (which works), If I select A-G - no issues - if I try and select anything after G, then it always jumps to the very last item.

Can you reproduce this once and then send a log from the app?

Thanks.

rbjtech
18 hours ago, ebr said:

Can you reproduce this once and then send a log from the app?

Thanks.

From the latest FireTV beta client.

user Rich @ 10:02 GMT

Selected Films, Selected Q - it jumped to Queen (the Film), then selected G and it jumped to Z (Zulu).  

Thanks.

4 hours ago, rbjtech said:

From the latest FireTV beta client.

user Rich @ 10:02 GMT

Selected Films, Selected Q - it jumped to Queen (the Film), then selected G and it jumped to Z (Zulu).  

Thanks.

Thanks.  I'll take another whack at it this week.

• Like 1

Ronstang
14 minutes ago, ebr said:

Took another shot.  Hope I got it...

I assume there is a new beta coming soon then?  Because it's not showing now.

seanbuff
On 23/08/2023 at 06:21, ebr said:

Took another shot.  Hope I got it...

2.0.90 is a really good update, thank you.

But unfortunately the issue for this topic still exists.

I find it is super easy to replicate when I choose the letter 'X' as there are fewer movies there, and you see the issue within 2 clicks of the remote.

Moving from the letter 'X' down to 'Y' ...as soon as focus almost hits the first title in 'Y' it will jump back up to 'X' 

Everything after that point seems okay, but if you jump out of that library and back in, it resets the issue again (as demonstrated in the video)

Ronstang

It appears with the new beta version of the emby app that both of these issues are fixed for me now, I will report if I am in error but I could not get it to reproduce either in a several minutes of scrolling and changing letters so it seems OK now.  Thanks!!

rbjtech
5 hours ago, seanbuff said:

2.0.90 is a really good update, thank you.

But unfortunately the issue for this topic still exists.

I find it is super easy to replicate when I choose the letter 'X' as there are fewer movies there, and you see the issue within 2 clicks of the remote.

Moving from the letter 'X' down to 'Y' ...as soon as focus almost hits the first title in 'Y' it will jump back up to 'X' 

Everything after that point seems okay, but if you jump out of that library and back in, it resets the issue again (as demonstrated in the video)

I can't re-produce this - everything is working ok now.  What Server version are you using ? 

I'm using Beta Server v4.8.0.42 and AndroidTV Client v2.0.90 

I presume you've tried an App cache delete and device reboot ?

Edited by rbjtech

seanbuff
10 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

I'm using Beta Server v4.8.0.42 and AndroidTV Client v2.0.90 

Same.

Are you referring to the issue in the OP, or the issue that you previously mentioned which jumps to the bottom?

rbjtech
2 minutes ago, seanbuff said:

Same.

Are you referring to the issue in the OP, or the issue that you previously mentioned which jumps to the bottom?

I've tested both issues but to be fair, I never had the 'forced to stay in the letter chosen' issue to start with, only the jump to Z issue.

• Like 1