Why is it so problematic? Shield basic setup?

mikey63
Go to solution Solved by rbjtech,

mikey63

Hi folks, have been using Kodi to playback local media from 2 external USB drives on my Nvidia Shield. Getting tired of buggy problems, black screens and lockups etc. So wanted to look at alternatives. I tried Plex, but got stuck with endless can't connect to media errors. Tried Emby on my PC to see what it was like, and wow I was super impressed. So easy to set up and get running. So I tried Emby for the shield.

Firstly it asks to visit emby site/pin tried that method. Furthest I got there was to add a server, which asks for an IP address. Followed instructions on here about how to get IP address for the Shield. Says to go into network settings and then get the IP for Shield TV. When I go into my shield there is no "Shield TV" just the router connection, clicked on there and got an IP of 192... ... ... .. etc. So put that into the emby server dialog, and nothing happens when I ok it.

Tried the other way option 2, which was to enter IP (same dialog) and again nothing happens. One time it gave a connection error. I have Nord VPN running, so stopped that in case there was a conflict, but same result. The shield IP is what is reported on the shield. I pinged it from my PC and it pings ok.

Things to note.. 

1) Didn't have PC on when trying to set up Emby on the Shield.

2) The PC is ethernet connected and the Shield connects via wi-fi

3) Nord wasn't a problem stopped it running and made no difference.

It was so easy to set up on PC, but that was just a test. Am wanting it to run on the Shield with the media libraries on the USB drives. 

• Solution
rbjtech

So to confirm - you want to run Emby SERVER and the Emby CLIENT on the Shield itself correct ?

If yes, then the server is here - Emby Server for Android the client is here Emby for Android TV - Emby

The reason it just works on a PC (as a Server) is because the browser connects directly, there is no need for any 'Client'.

Install the Shield 'Server' first - and then the AndroidTV Client.   You can of course connect with any other client at this point as well - but you must have a functional SERVER first.

I hope that helps.

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mikey63 said:

Tried Emby on my PC

Hi.  Exactly what did you do here?  Did you install a sever on your PC and configure it with your content?

If so, then this was your problem:

2 hours ago, mikey63 said:

Didn't have PC on when trying to set up Emby on the Shield

The Emby app needs to talk to the server to get to your media.  If the server had been running at the time you installed the app on the Shield, it would have seen your server automatically and offered it for you to just select.

Emby is a Client/Server system whereas Kodi is just one big app.  Emby server manages and delivers your media and must always be running.  The apps connect to the server.

Does that make sense?

mikey63
7 hours ago, rbjtech said:

So to confirm - you want to run Emby SERVER and the Emby CLIENT on the Shield itself correct ?

If yes, then the server is here - Emby Server for Android the client is here Emby for Android TV - Emby

The reason it just works on a PC (as a Server) is because the browser connects directly, there is no need for any 'Client'.

Install the Shield 'Server' first - and then the AndroidTV Client.   You can of course connect with any other client at this point as well - but you must have a functional SERVER first.

I hope that helps.

Thank you for your reply, very much appreciated. I wasn't aware there were two packages. When I browsed the apps on the shield, there's only one. Which I think is the client (after checking your links). I did try the apk as well, but a server apk wasn't known. I'll certainly try this later, and fingers crossed this will be the solution.

• Like 1

mikey63
6 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Exactly what did you do here?  Did you install a sever on your PC and configure it with your content?

If so, then this was your problem:

The Emby app needs to talk to the server to get to your media.  If the server had been running at the time you installed the app on the Shield, it would have seen your server automatically and offered it for you to just select.

Emby is a Client/Server system whereas Kodi is just one big app.  Emby server manages and delivers your media and must always be running.  The apps connect to the server.

Does that make sense?

Hi, thanks for your reply, yes it does make sense, except that's not what I was doing. I only tried out Emby on the PC first to get a flavour of what it was like. My aim was to have Emby running only on the Shield.

On the shield, I downloaded Emby via the play store. There was only one download available, so assumed that included server and client software. As RJBtech points out there's two packages, so am hoping that once I install the separate server apk, I'll be able to configure that on the Shield, then use the other download to connect to it. 

Thanks again. I'll post back with results.

mikey63

Thanks for the help guys, I installed the server apk but didn't realise I had to then configure it via a browser on my phone. The Shield doesn't seem to have a decent or m(any) browser applications. So after a lot of configuring, I got it to work. My gf loves it and so do I. It keeps popping up that I'm on a trial version? I'm not sure what will change after the trial expires, hopefully I can still access the media etc. Am looking at premiere option and transcoding might be a plus, not sure.

Thanks anyway. very much appreciated.

• Like 1

MrPaulo
On 05/08/2023 at 12:25, mikey63 said:

Hi folks, have been using Kodi to playback local media from 2 external USB drives on my Nvidia Shield. Getting tired of buggy problems, black screens and lockups etc. So wanted to look at alternatives. I tried Plex, but got stuck with endless can't connect to media errors. Tried Emby on my PC to see what it was like, and wow I was super impressed. So easy to set up and get running. So I tried Emby for the shield.

Firstly it asks to visit emby site/pin tried that method. Furthest I got there was to add a server, which asks for an IP address. Followed instructions on here about how to get IP address for the Shield. Says to go into network settings and then get the IP for Shield TV. When I go into my shield there is no "Shield TV" just the router connection, clicked on there and got an IP of 192... ... ... .. etc. So put that into the emby server dialog, and nothing happens when I ok it.

Tried the other way option 2, which was to enter IP (same dialog) and again nothing happens. One time it gave a connection error. I have Nord VPN running, so stopped that in case there was a conflict, but same result. The shield IP is what is reported on the shield. I pinged it from my PC and it pings ok.

Things to note.. 

1) Didn't have PC on when trying to set up Emby on the Shield.

2) The PC is ethernet connected and the Shield connects via wi-fi

3) Nord wasn't a problem stopped it running and made no difference.

It was so easy to set up on PC, but that was just a test. Am wanting it to run on the Shield with the media libraries on the USB drives. 

Hi,

I would not try to use the shield as a media server - it is the king of players not the king of servers in my opinion. Depending on your needs I would get an intel/amd box to run a server. I had for years a windows 10 pro machine with remote desktop connection as a server running plex - this was for a time when transcoding 1080p was needed for the likes of slow hotel connections for remote playing for example. I since abandoned that - I have a synology with a docker container with emby (emby/embyserver)(4 core amd cpu with 32GB ram - emby docker image needs very little memory - this is shared between multiple other dockers). the only thing the synology does not do is transcode 4k video - Nowadays with fast internet connectivity and apps such as the emby player that can process any type of video I found that transcoding is not needed as it would have been 10 years ago therefore I can save electricity and have the emby server run on the same cpu as my nas.

Docker is amazing. Strongly recommended.

Edited by MrPaulo
  • Thanks 1

GrimReaper
3 hours ago, mikey63 said:

It keeps popping up that I'm on a trial version? I'm not sure what will change after the trial expires, hopefully I can still access the media etc.

Android TV app has a two-week trial, after which for full playback you'll either have to unlock app (one-off payment) or subscribe to Premiere, else you'll be limited to 1-minute playback only.

Emby Premiere Feature Matrix | Emby Documentation

• Thanks 1

mikey63

Thanks MrPaulo for the suggestion, early days here, so will see how it goes. If I do run into difficulties, synology seems to be from what you said the way to go. 

GrimReaper delivering the news I didn't want to hear. Will have to think now about whether Emby is a fit. 😕  Understand devs need paying, but already paying for other services. Thanks for the info.

mikey63

Well, for playback unlock, I see that its a reasonable amount, but an error flashes up so quickly I can't read properly what it's saying when I go to unlock. Something about billing api v3 not installed ? 

Does the Shield have an internet connection? Is there anything that would prevent it from being able to reach google play store billing services?

mikey63
11 hours ago, Luke said:

Does the Shield have an internet connection? Is there anything that would prevent it from being able to reach google play store billing services?

It does have internet connection and nothing stopping accessing the billing services, signed in and can browse the store etc.

mikey63

Hey Luke, 

Thanks for the suggestion, I fixed this last night. Turned out the play store app was in need of a manual update. I did that, and the billing went through. Thanks for your help.

• Thanks 1