Aspect Ratio isn't correct on playback

Dullard

Dullard

Hello!  I've done my best to research this, the threads I find are quite old and not the same problem I'm experiencing.

My media is from DVDs.  I've put them into MKV containers without transcoding.  So they are MPEG2 with 720 x 480 resolution.  The problem I am having is that they are shown at 1.5:1 aspect ratio.   MediaInfo reports the Display Aspect Ratio as 4:3.   I believe this may be related somehow to anamorphic DVD flag - but that's a guess.  They look just fine when play in a browser or VLC, but on the LG TV they are all stretched.   There is no transcoding taking place on the server (I checked the logs).   Before the pretty new LG client, they worked just fine.

I apologize if this has been covered before, I did try to do some research first.

Thank you!

Hello Dullard,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

unisoft
On 05/08/2023 at 02:51, Dullard said:

Hello!  I've done my best to research this, the threads I find are quite old and not the same problem I'm experiencing.

My media is from DVDs.  I've put them into MKV containers without transcoding.  So they are MPEG2 with 720 x 480 resolution.  The problem I am having is that they are shown at 1.5:1 aspect ratio.   MediaInfo reports the Display Aspect Ratio as 4:3.   I believe this may be related somehow to anamorphic DVD flag - but that's a guess.  They look just fine when play in a browser or VLC, but on the LG TV they are all stretched.   There is no transcoding taking place on the server (I checked the logs).   Before the pretty new LG client, they worked just fine.

I apologize if this has been covered before, I did try to do some research first.

Thank you!

On a couple of videos, I have the opposite, where despite an anamorphic flag it still shows as 4:3, but every other media player out there including even Apple TV shows it as 16:9.

For the one or two videos, I put it down to just how LG player interpreted the exact image size and decided 4:3. It's very rare - literally one or two videos out of thousands.

For tons of other videos, the anamorphic video flag works fine for me, but realise this could be player specific even model specific.

Dullard

I am attaching log files.  I turned on debugging and then started the Addams Family and paused it.  I have a photo too if you need/want it.  It just shows the image filling the screen instead of the vertical black bars that should be there.

embeyserverDebug.txt

On 8/11/2023 at 7:37 PM, Dullard said:

I am attaching log files.  I turned on debugging and then started the Addams Family and paused it.  I have a photo too if you need/want it.  It just shows the image filling the screen instead of the vertical black bars that should be there.

embeyserverDebug.txt 104.89 kB · 0 downloads

Hi, the Emby app is direct playing this which means that the problem is in the LG video player. Unfortunately there isn't really a way to resolve other than having the server transcode it.

Can you provide a copy of the media info from the bottom of the web app detail screen? Thanks.

Dullard

Here is Media Info from Web App:

Video

Title 480p MPEG2VIDEO
Codec MPEG2VIDEO
Profile Main
Level 8
Resolution 720x480
Aspect Ratio 1.5:1
Interlaced No
Framerate 29.97
Bitrate 6 mbps
Color Primaries smpte170m
Color Space smpte170m
Color Transfer smpte170m
Bit Depth 8 bit
Pixel Format yuv420p
Reference Frames 1

I am attaching mediainfo output from the command line too.

mediainfo.txt

OK, have you considered converting the file to mp4 or mkv? As this is a problem in the LG video player, our options for fixing it are limited because of that.

Dullard

They are MKV. The codecs are MPEG2 and AAC.  i chose this because there is no transcoding.  The funny thing is, that before i upgraded to the new Emby player they looked just fine.  For fun, i connected to the Emby server via the LG-WebOS DLNA client and watched the same video.   There the AR was just fine - 4:3 with two vertical black bars. @SamES

unisoft

720x480 is a standard SD NTSC resolution so the LG player really shouldn't have a bug if the anamorphic flag is set.  If the resolution veered off from that standard, then there could be an LG player bug.

For LG to mess up a standard resolution like that would be worthy of an LG update but they must have had others report similar. I suppose if this was this video played on a European LG model, then could be more likely an LG player bug as standard SD res for UK PAL is 720x576 for example....

SamES

I have a similar 2017 LG model and can't reproduce this.

A couple of questions (apologies if you've covered them above, it helps to get these answers in one location):

• What server version are you running?
  • Has this always been a problem or did it start after a recent server or app update?
  • Is it only this file or many files?

Can you please provide me with a link to this file for testing?

When it's DirectPlay there is nothing specific that the App does - the LG player just does its thing.  It is possible that the files have actually been encoded incorrectly and the header doesn't match the video content - I've seen this on rare occasions before.  If you encoded them yourself, what software did you use?

You can also try the putting the file on a USB drive and connecting it directly to the TV and playing it using the TV's internal player to see how it plays.

Dullard

Hi

Server is Version 4.7.13.0

The App is: Emby for LG 1.0.39

---------

The problem has resolved itself.  I bought a new TV set.  No not because of this issue 🙂 but rather because it was going wonky.  So perhaps it was the TV.  At any rate everything looks fine on the new set.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1