Synology Package Server showing 4.7.11 as latest available version

MrMRM513

MrMRM513

Haven't been able to run Emby server since the security issue and still waiting for Synology Package Center to show 4.7.12 or later. Is that version available? If so, where do I find it? How do I force Synology to locate the package?

FrostByte
40 minutes ago, MrMRM513 said:

Haven't been able to run Emby server since the security issue and still waiting for Synology Package Center to show 4.7.12 or later. Is that version available? If so, where do I find it? How do I force Synology to locate the package?

You can download 4.7.13 from the link below.

https://emby.media/download.html

Then from Package Center install the file you downloaded by clicking manual install.

MrMRM513

I cannot find the hosts file on the synology server. I installed WinSCP and am searching folders in the NAS but cannot locate the Hosts file for editing.

Synology isn't covered in the linked Linux tutorial.

Why did Emby make this issue so hard to solve for novice users? I've been at this for months.

MrMRM513

Furthermore, I located an apk of 4.7.12 which the page says fixes this issue. I installed it.

It still won't start.

MrMRM513

I found the location of the hosts file. There are three. Hosts, Hosts.allow, and hosts.deny.

To which should the line be added?

MrMRM513

Also, editing any of the files results in "permission denied."

Which file must I edit, and how do I get it to save?

MrMRM513

The tutorial page has a listing for Linux. It says when prompted I must enter my sudo password. WinSCP never prompts for that password.

Any suggestions?

FrostByte

If you want to setup WinSCP as super user try this which will give you full access to your NAS.  Otherwise, you will need to use command line terminal or putty and switch to su.

You want this host file:

etc/hosts

The files you need to delete will be here:

/volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer/plugins/configurations

1 hour ago, MrMRM513 said:

Furthermore, I located an apk of 4.7.12 which the page says fixes this issue. I installed it.

It still won't start.

The fix prevents the issue from happening again, but if you've been impacted, you'll still need to go through he manual recovery process. Please let us know if you need help. Thanks.

MrMRM513

I do need help. After editing the hosts file, I can't get it to save on the Synology NAS. Permission denied.

MrMRM513

I can't delete the files for the same reason. Permission denied. I don't know how to log into the Synology NAS to allow those permissions.

Please assist.

FrostByte
42 minutes ago, MrMRM513 said:

I can't delete the files for the same reason. Permission denied. I don't know how to log into the Synology NAS to allow those permissions.

Please assist.

You can't delete or modify files unless you are super user.  I gave you the instructions how to modify winscp

MrMRM513

I located on the Emby forum an article titled "How to access Synology NAS as Admin or Superuser using WinSCP". I followed the instructions, built the script on Synology, created the necessary login in WinSCP, edited the Hosts file, and deleted the files as indicated in the instructions. I deinstalled and reinstalled 4.7.13.

Emby server 4.7.13 still shuts itself down.

• Like 1

FrostByte
1 minute ago, MrMRM513 said:

I located on the Emby forum an article titled "How to access Synology NAS as Admin or Superuser using WinSCP". I followed the instructions, built the script on Synology, created the necessary login in WinSCP, edited the Hosts file, and deleted the files as indicated in the instructions. I deinstalled and reinstalled 4.7.13.

Emby server 4.7.13 still shuts itself down.

Okay.  You might need to have @Carloassist then.  He can remote into your NAS and take a look if you wish, or he may have some other ideas.

MrMRM513

I changed the syntax to the server name in the instructions to move the home IP to the left of the server name and separated the two by a tab.

I can't recall my password to get into Emby. I ran the instructions to reset password, and found the text documents in the VAR directory. I cannot access the URL to put in the PIN.

When I checked again, the server had stopped. Again.

FrostByte
43 minutes ago, MrMRM513 said:

I don't know who Carlo is. Please have him contact me to resolve this.

He works for Emby and has remoted into several systems to help.  Good guy.

• Like 1

MrMRM513

I reread the instructions, traced my steps, and made sure to delete or alter each element in turn from a check list. Emby Server 4.7.13 is now up and running smoothly. Carlo is off the hook.

A couple of other items about the Emby Server does not start - Security advisory 2023-05-25 instructions. It's heavy on peer-to-peer shorthand, and was clearly written by engineers to an audience of system administrators and Linux professionals. As a noob in the woods, this document left me way out in the weeds. Nowhere does it explicitly state the Hosts file fixes and file deletions had to be done in addition to installing the new version. The document assumes the reader knows this. Under the bottom header Install Emby Server 4.7.12 Security Update appears the wording

Watch out for this update and install as soon as it becomes available unless you are already running Emby beta 4.8.0.31+ which also has the necessary fixes

Which I read as an alternative instruction to the file fixes. "I can do all the hard Linux stuff," I thought, "or I can wait for 4.7.12 and install that instead because it has the necessary fixes." Perhaps I deluded myself, but I think I didn't know enough to know what I didn't know. I read these instructions literally dozens of times and never thought any differently until yesterday. Also, the patch still isn't available in the Synology Package Center and the latest version download isn't linked on the fix page. I think both are huge oversights.

Also, the Linuxize link addressing Host file editing doesn't mention the need to access the NAS as a superuser. That's also assumed. There's no link to the Emby page explaining how to log into Synology as a Superuser in the security advisory page; I had to drill that out myself only after I learned I'd need it, and it wasn't easy to find.

Remember, this security breach affected all Emby Server users, not just the most Linux savvy. In all, I'd wager Emby disillusioned many users unfamiliar with Linux who used the Synology server, but dumped it in frustration due to this fix being so vague, complicated, and difficult. The Security Advisory is certainly a map, but the map is not the ground. You must describe the paths and pitfalls in addition to pointing the way. Even though it's months old, please consider editing this page to include these suggestions, to help new users who may yet stagger in the forest.

• Thanks 1