Settings explained how to have Emby to scan and show chapters

bacardi8

bacardi8

Hi Guys,

a quick question here :
How do I get Emby to use existing chapters in a music concert movie. The movie  has chapters and is either mkv or mp4 file types.

I have read and tried almost all suggestions around here, but i still not get it function.

Could someone here maybe suggest me how exactly the settings for that should be..??

cheers

seanbuff
42 minutes ago, bacardi8 said:

but i still not get it function

What do you mean by this? What do you see on the concert details page?

What do you have set for this in your Library options?
image.png.f504bc6e06395d1314ec9efd273b713f.png

Perhaps you haven't had a scheduled library scan complete yet since adding media?

• Like 1

bacardi8

Hi seanbuff,

I have exact these settings also, but so far no chapters shows up, and also if I manually try to scan for thumbnails it takes 2 sec to finish.

on the concert details page I just see the main movie and below that is suggestions in the same category, no chapters.

do you think I should try to completely remove the library that holds all concerts, rescan, create the library again with the above mentioned settings...??

So far I have just tried to create chapters in my existing library.

Thanks for your reply by the way.

seanbuff

And you're positive that your files have embedded chapters? 

For example if you use 'MKVToolNix GUI' on your MKV using the 'Chapter Editor' -- do you see something like this?
image.png.4614a41b21d6a3ff48ae8a0bbfb4ae62.png

Never the less, at the very least Emby should be creating them if there are none in the file with the settings above

23 minutes ago, bacardi8 said:

do you think I should try to completely remove the library that holds all concerts, rescan, create the library again with the above mentioned settings...??

Probably don't need to remove the library, just run a library scan on it and post a server log after it completes.

bacardi8

yes, all movies has chapters.

I will try to run a library scan and post the server log when i get home from work.

thanks 

12 hours ago, bacardi8 said:

yes, all movies has chapters.

I will try to run a library scan and post the server log when i get home from work.

thanks 

How did you verify that your movies have chapters embedded?

berrick

Hi everyone,

Just like to add that I too had a similar problem which seemed only to affect mp4's which already existed in my library and didn't have chapter images.

No matter what settings I chose images wouldn't be created. The task would start and run sometimes take a long time to complete but mostly only ever taking 2 seconds.

What seems to be working for me, though a bit of a ball ache, is to have the library advanced options for video preview thumbnails set as below 

image.png.cb706b3f7bb136c5a63443bcdf7fd251.png

• Then remove the folder containing the video in question from the library
  • wait some time to give Emby time to update
  • then add the folder back into the library
  • wait some more time to give Emby time to update

Be patient, in my case it take minutes not seconds. I also found it useful to have the  \EmbyMediaCache\cache\temp folder open with the Windows view layout set to large.

This way I could see the chapter marker images being temporarily saved. Once the temp folder for this video was deleted when I went back to Emby and looked at the relevant video the chapter images had been added.

Happy days :)

I just hope when I get round to doing this with the many many video's that wont update automagically they all work ;)

Hope this helps

bacardi8

@ Luke,

I verify it by vlc, plex and jellyfin, these 3 all shows the chapters.

@berrick,

thanks for the tip, i will try it out.

On 7/28/2023 at 12:50 AM, bacardi8 said:

Hi seanbuff,

I have exact these settings also, but so far no chapters shows up, and also if I manually try to scan for thumbnails it takes 2 sec to finish.

on the concert details page I just see the main movie and below that is suggestions in the same category, no chapters.

So far I have just tried to create chapters in my existing library.

Thanks for your reply by the way.

Where are you looking for them? can you please show us a specific example?