feature request paywall

cjlong45

cjlong45

hi as there are many feature requests that you get i was thinking why dont you create a paywall in which people can contribute towards that makes it worth devs time, so say i know lots of people want a proper book reader why dont you set a target say $500-$1000 once target has been met you do it and include in the next update i think it would be good becuse one it contributes to the platform two it helps the devs and three people actually get the feature they are after. its just a thought but i think it would help all round 

Hi.  Implementing a specific feature request isn't all about money - in fact, its usually about many other factors but they all usually boil down to suitability and a cost-benefit equation.  Not every feature everyone wants is necessarily suitable for the product unfortunately and, if we did implement every single request, it is very likely the system would become so complex that it would be too difficult to use and to maintain.

So, a pay for feature system isn't really going to help meet our goals for the product as we are striving for the best product for the most people, not the most features that someone is willing to pay for.

Some more discussion on the subject:

cjlong45
34 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Implementing a specific feature request isn't all about money - in fact, its usually about many other factors but they all usually boil down to suitability and a cost-benefit equation.  Not every feature everyone wants is necessarily suitable for the product unfortunately and, if we did implement every single request, it is very likely the system would become so complex that it would be too difficult to use and to maintain.

So, a pay for feature system isn't really going to help meet our goals for the product as we are striving for the best product for the most people, not the most features that someone is willing to pay for.

Some more discussion on the subject:

I didn't mean everything I mean things that are hand picked by the devs from the feature request section then put up with a price goal and once reached it will be done so that way users know what's going to be implemented that they can pay towards and devs can rule out ones that cant happen due to stability or usability I find the problem is first and foremost devs update emby with the necessary fixes and rarely add feature requests which is fine I understand that but this would add an incentive for the devs and the users and in terms of competition what competition plex? Because plex have money and are ahead already in lots of ways and I don't think they consider emby actual competition and jellyfin are yet to do lots of things it would be foolish to even try to compete with the likes of plex because of deep pockets plus although they are in front of you they are not customer focused anyway.  I just think its silly ruling out something that can help you make money! ?