Suggestion for Emby Android TV App - Customizable Media Player

shimakaze

shimakaze

I have a folder for anime and another one for movies. When accessing the anime folder, I'd like to use an external media player called "dandanPlay" as it provides enjoyable subtitle experiences for anime watching. For playing the files in the movie folder, I prefer using "Emby For Android" due to its superior video quality. However, it's quite inconvenient to switch between the two and adjust the playback options at the bottom of the settings each time.

Here are some suggestions for "Emby For Android":

1. I hope to have the ability to choose different media players for each library, allowing flexible selection of players for each library.

2. Furthermore, after setting the default media player for an entire library, it would be even better to have the option to select individual media and apply specific media player settings. Some of my media files are quite old, and only Kodi can decode them successfully. I would like to have separate player settings for these specific media.

In summary, the desired feature includes setting a global media player within the app, then being able to customize the player for each library, and finally having the option to set individual media player preferences for specific media files. I hope to achieve this level of flexibility.

Thank you.

The above content was translated for me by ChatGPT. The original text is as follows:

我有一个动漫文件夹和一个电影文件夹,当我使用动漫文件夹的时候,我希望调用其他播放器(dandanPlay),因为它能提供弹幕让我观看动漫更有乐趣。而播放电影文件夹内的文件时,我更乐意使用Emby For Android,因为它有更好的画质表现。但是每次动漫和电影切换又必须在设置里面调整播放选项的最下面,就很麻烦。

以下是我对与Emby For Android的一些建议: 我希望能对每一个库分别选择播放模式,能灵活的选择每个库是使用哪种播放器播放。 在此基础上,设置完整个库使用的播放器后,还能对单独的媒体选择那就更好了,因为我的有些媒体过于老旧,只能用kodi才能成功的解码,我想针对这些媒体进行一个单独的播放器设置。

整体逻辑如下:app内设置全局的播放器,然后在库中,可以针对库设置播放器,然后对每个媒体设置单独的播放器。我希望能达到这样的效果 谢谢

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

pwhodges

Anime subtitles are usually in SSA or ASS format.  These subtitles are correctly rendered by the Emby client for Android mobile.  What is the Dandan player doing which you feel is missing in the playback of these subs?

Paul

• Like 1

shimakaze
6 hours ago, pwhodges said:

Anime subtitles are usually in SSA or ASS format.  These subtitles are correctly rendered by the Emby client for Android mobile.  What is the Dandan player doing which you feel is missing in the playback of these subs?

Paul

Thank you for your reply, but what I'm referring to is not traditional subtitles like ASS or SSA. It's a type of on-screen comments called "danmaku," similar to those found on platforms like Niconico or Bilibili. Danmaku is a cultural phenomenon in Asia where viewers post real-time comments on the video. Unfortunately, Emby does not have this feature; it's only available through the Dandanplay player for viewing such danmaku comments.

• Agree 1

• 6 months later...
Shiki214

https://danmaku.movie.kg/

This third-party plugin can do this job, it also offers packed Android client, but I really wish that this function could be merged into the official EMBY. Because there's nobody ensuring those third-party plugin's stability.

shimakaze
24 minutes ago, Shiki214 said:

https://danmaku.movie.kg/

This third-party plugin can do this job, it also offers packed Android client, but I really wish that this function could be merged into the official EMBY. Because there's nobody ensuring those third-party plugin's stability.

Thank you. I have used this plugin, but this plugin can only be used on the web page. The downloaded Android client is not suitable for TV. I still hope to be able to set different playing methods according to different files.

43 minutes ago, shimakaze said:

Thank you. I have used this plugin, but this plugin can only be used on the web page. The downloaded Android client is not suitable for TV. I still hope to be able to set different playing methods according to different files.

Why do you think it’s not suitable for TV?

shimakaze
5 hours ago, Luke said:

Why do you think it’s not suitable for TV?

Thank you for your attention. The thing is, the types of dramas I like to watch are Japanese anime and American dramas. Regarding Japanese anime, there is a danmu culture, so when watching Japanese anime, I use Emby to call a External Player to play the video, and when watching American dramas, I use Emby to play itself. But it is very troublesome to switch players every time.

For information on danmu culture, you can refer to this page on Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danmaku_subtitling

The app that does particularly well in this regard is Dandanplay.

image.thumb.png.ec9ef8eeb9daab1857d4cc1755128df5.png

Every time I want to watch classic "经典老番" and "动画电影", I have to go to the settings to check 'Use External Player for Videos', and when I watch "电视剧集", I need to go to the settings to turn it off.

image.thumb.png.1e1ae4655df37a3ba1f158ac30142586.png

I hope to confirm whether the videos in these folders are played by the external Player or by Emby based on the folder.

Edited by shimakaze

Our standard app has an external player option as well. Is that your only concern?

shimakaze
6 hours ago, Luke said:

Our standard app has an external player option as well. Is that your only concern?

I am using the standard app, and it is possible that due to the inaccuracies of machine translation, you did not understand what I meant.
What I mean is that I need to switch the external player option frequently every time I watch a different type of episode, it's very inconvenient, I hope there is a shortcut!

1 hour ago, shimakaze said:

I am using the standard app, and it is possible that due to the inaccuracies of machine translation, you did not understand what I meant.
What I mean is that I need to switch the external player option frequently every time I watch a different type of episode, it's very inconvenient, I hope there is a shortcut!

OK but it's the same in both apps, right? How is it different?

Shiki214
21 hours ago, shimakaze said:

谢谢。我用过这个插件,但是这个插件只能在网页上使用。下载的Android客户端不适合电视。我还是希望能够根据不同的文件设置不同的播放方式。

Actually, There‘s an alternative way to use danmaku only in anime: Using official Android app for casual media like movie or TV shows, and using android Chrome browser for anime only. You can add an Web App to your android desktop using Chrome's Progressive Web App (PWA) feature. For example: 《How to install a PWA to your device?》

I knew that this solution sounds foolish, but it could be the best solution until official Emby supports danmaku.

Shiki214

By the way, there should be a button to turn on/off the danmaku easily in the plugin I introduced above.

"自动弹幕"

image.png.c69a20eddda20c9a351f777dd90f65ad.png

shimakaze
22 hours ago, Shiki214 said:

By the way, there should be a button to turn on/off the danmaku easily in the plugin I introduced above.

"自动弹幕"

image.png.c69a20eddda20c9a351f777dd90f65ad.png

其实我觉得这个就是太麻烦了,对于电视机来说,我还要插一个鼠标

shimakaze
On 2/3/2024 at 11:12 AM, Luke said:

OK but it's the same in both apps, right? How is it different?

There may still be translation errors.
I'll describe my needs in the simplest way possible.
The program I am using is your official standard program, and some of the media is played by your program by calling other programs with the "Use External Player for Videos" function.
I want the "Use External Player for Videos" feature to be set on each media individually, not on the whole program

• Thanks 1

acmby

I think the request is just an easier way to switch between internal and external players in the client Apps.  I've found myself wanting this feature myself since Emby has historically not been able to handle subtitles well.  Jellyfin has an option to prompt you for which player you want to use when you play an episode.  It would be nice if you could do this or have a setting where you could specify the video player by library or series.

Edited by acmby

More options are certainly possible for future updates. Thanks.