Skipping, freezing and general playback issues

KLF&TLF

KLF&TLF

Hi guys, while I have reported these issues previously it is getting more frequent now and really frustrating. So this is where I have Emby playing:

On a TCL (Google Smart TV), a Blaupunkt TV (Google Smart TV), through an up to date Apple TV on a Samsung TV, on an iMac, MacBook Pro 2016, MacBook Pro 2018 along with 2 iPhone 12s.

So it cant be written off to being one operating system. Additionally I have now ruled out that the drives I am using aren't the issue nor is the actual file we are viewing it is Emby and there is no rhyme nor reason to it.

For example last week watching Hijack through Apple TV at the 21 min mark it went out of sync completely. Solution for us on the Apple TV device was to actually watch through Apple TV and forget Emby but you forget these things when you have so many subscription services and Emby doesn't allow you to bring them altogether like Plex does. Then on the weekend someone else on the same network was watching the same Episode of Hijack on the Blaupunktbut this time time only got 12 minutes in. The solution this time was watching the episode on the MacBook Pro without a problem.

So this is one example where it was the same file different devices and different time spots. So this brings me to the ones of the last few nights have gone to watch Traitors on the Apple TV and couldn't even get 2 minutes in without it being out of sync and unwatchable. The solution for this was watch through Plex without a problem. Now because when I have asked previously what log files you want I dont get a clear answer I have given you everything in my log directory as at time of writing via Dropbox link

I prefer Emby to Plex but this issue is becoming more frequent and frustrating that I think I am about to bite the bullet and go back to Plex unless you guys can fix it. 

I have tried to put my support hat on and that is why I have eliminated drives, devices and found where it is plays without issue. I can also confirm the files play perfectly with VLC and Quicktime so the common denominator is Emby but as I said there is no logic to which file.

Thanks in advance

KLF&TLF

Hi Luke, after reading the how to the only thing I didn't tell you was that I am using the latest version of the Emby App on Apple TV, and the latest edition of the Emby Server otherwise I have told you the problem, what I have done to try and resolve it as well as ALL the log files so if I am wrong please tell me what else you need.

Thanks

KLF&TLF

Hi, Apple TV updated last night so haven't watched anything yet so wont know till it happens again on Apple TV but it doesn't explain why it is also happening on other devices

• 2 weeks later...
KLF&TLF

Hi Luke, sorry for the delay, but the update on Apple TV didn't fix the problem. Again I want to emphasise I get where you are coming from but trial and error and elimination Emby is the common denominator. I can't exactly recreate the problem on all devices but I have been able to narrow down more information for you.

Reality shows ALWAYS have this problem. If there is GoPro footage in the show and then it swaps to another camera that is where the problem starts. I cannot say that it happens in the same spot of the GoPro footage on all devices using Emby but Emby is the issue. I have even then tried the next option of using VLC and the iMac, MacBook Pros and I dont have the issue at all. I have even recoded the file and run it on the TV's from a USB thumb drive and dont have the issue so as I said Emby is the common denominator.

Sorry I cant be of more help but it is driving me bat shite crazy 

• 2 weeks later...
KLF&TLF

OK sorry for the delay in getting back to you but have been unwell. However in saying that I have more information for you.

I have updated everything, TV's, OS's etc and I still have the same problem across all platforms. BUT ....

Please don't tell me that it is me because honestly it can't be when exactly the same file works perfectly on the same devices in Plex. 

So I have narrowed it down a little and I don't get it at all but it is "reality shows" if there is Go Pro images and then it goes to normal camera work this is where the lagging comes from. Examples that correct themselves are Bering Sea Gold, Hoffman Family Gold, Below Deck however and this is now a big however The Traitors (regardless of country of origin) does not play catch up and the only way to watch the show is to view not using Emby. 

As I said I am at a loss and I asume you will be too and I have tried everything to work out what the issue is and have been able to get it to this point but honestly it not me as I have taken this further afield and given the same file to a friend who uses emby to try on their network and they have the same problem and they only run Android devices so it Emby not the user. I am truly sorry to say that but it is the only common denominator.

KLF&TLF

I will create a Dropbox folder with examples on it for you with the original files. I just don't get it at all sorry 

25 minutes ago, KLF&TLF said:

I will create a Dropbox folder with examples on it for you with the original files. I just don't get it at all sorry 

That would be great, thanks !