No thumbnails on Nvidia Shield

binerf

binerf

Hello,

Just received my Shield to replace my old box.

After installing and configured Emby application (installed from Google play), I can access my Emby repository but images don't show (icons of movies for instance):photo_2023-07-22_08-52-49.thumb.jpg.258fc05676ade14c3acd6dc4b5a908cb.jpg

I read in some other posts that could be a problem caused by IPv6 but I disabled IPv6 on this shield and on the server.

For information, Emby works perfectly on others boxes at home and except this issue, playing movies on my Shield is OK.

Any idea ?

Thank you.

6 hours ago, binerf said:

Hi,
See attached file.

Didn't mention that I use docker version with a reverse proxy in front.

Thanks

embyserver.txt 29 kB · 0 downloads

Hi.  Can you try sideloading our standard android app on the same device and see how that compares?

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

Thanks.

GrimReaper
1 hour ago, binerf said:

which version of the apk I should take for the Nvidia Shield ?

Arm7

22 hours ago, binerf said:

Hi,
See attached file.

Didn't mention that I use docker version with a reverse proxy in front.

Thanks

embyserver.txt 29 kB · 1 download

Hi.  That log has almost no activity in it.  Can you please provide one from when the problem occurred?

Thanks.

binerf
7 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

Arm7

Thank you !

Sideloaded and it works !!

I'll keep using this version but how to avoid sideloading to upgrade when a new version is released ? 🤔

binerf
3 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  That log has almost no activity in it.  Can you please provide one from when the problem occurred?

Thanks.

Basically, I restarted the server, launch app on my Shield (issue with images) and sent you the server log.

justinrh
2 hours ago, binerf said:

Sideloaded and it works !!

I'll keep using this version but how to avoid sideloading to upgrade when a new version is released ? 🤔

Right.   This isn't a solution, but only a work-around.  The production app should work (as it does for me).  I hope ebr can help you get to the root of the issue.  Be sure to also send an app log.

Edited by justinrh
  • Agree 1

karensmith6789

Sideloading emby apk didn't work for me. I can't stopn the server switching from ipv4 to ipv6

pwhodges

Have you any specific reason to want it not to use IPv6 (given that the OP said it didn't make a difference)?

Paul

Guest karensmith678

The thumbnails display fine under ipv4 but when the server switches to ipv6 they no longer display

rbjtech

Here's an idea - why doesn't emby fix the issue on the version everybody is using on their Shields's - ie the AndroidTV version on the Android/Google Store.

Asking people to compromise their device security by sideloading an untrusted (and Beta) app (by not going though the store) is wrong.   

• Like 1

CBers
2 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Here's an idea - why doesn't emby fix the issue on the version everybody is using on their Shields's - ie the AndroidTV version on the Android/Google Store.

Asking people to compromise their device security by sideloading an untrusted (and Beta) app (by not going though the store) is wrong.   

See this post by Eric in my thread about the same issue.

Seems it's a 3rd-party issue, but I don't know if there is an alternative to that library.

• Thanks 1

binerf

I don't understand the issue with IPv6.

I've disabled IPv6 both on the Shield (there is a setting to disable IPv6 in the Network configuration) and server.

So, why should it be still an issue with IPv6 ? 🤨

rbjtech
38 minutes ago, binerf said:

I've disabled IPv6 both on the Shield (there is a setting to disable IPv6 in the Network configuration) and server.

Did you delete the App and App cache, restart the shield - and reinstall the App (using just IP4) ?

Edited by rbjtech

Guest karensmith678
1 hour ago, binerf said:

Can you show me how to do this?

seanbuff
6 hours ago, karensmith678 said:

Can you show me how to do this?

In the Settings menu of the Shield, click on Network & Internet

image.png.7eeda39b00b8c3e4223f118c04f0999d.png

Toggle 'Enable IPv6' to Off

Restart your Shield device

Re-install the TV App and try again

Edited by seanbuff
  • Like 1

On 7/24/2023 at 9:43 AM, CBers said:

Seems it's a 3rd-party issue, but I don't know if there is an alternative to that library.

While there is a new library that has come along recently, a move to that would require a lot more work than we can put into this app at this time.  The library we are using is still supposedly the "number 1" Android image library and is also supposedly endorsed by Google but they still haven't fixed this issue in it.

• Like 1

binerf
On 7/25/2023 at 5:01 PM, ebr said:

The issue with IPv6 here would be on the server end.  I don't think the address of the client device should matter.

So, just be sure you are connecting to your server via IPv4 by directly entering that address.  If it still doesn't work, please follow the instructions to send a log from the app.

Hello,

Tested with IPv4 and it works (images are loaded).

But I still don't understand why, after disabling IPv6, it still doesn't work with dns name.