/opt/emby-server/lib/libstdc++.so.6 error on Proxmox Debian 12 CT

tmurd87
Go to solution Solved by tmurd87,

• Solution
tmurd87

error after upgrading to Debian 12 on Proxmox. 

apt: /opt/emby-server/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.29' not found (required by /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libapt-private.so.0.0)
apt: /opt/emby-server/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.29' not found (required by /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libapt-pkg.so.6.0)

I verified the differences in both /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6 and Emby version with strings /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6 | grep GLIBCXX and strings /opt/emby-server/lib/libstdc++.so.6 | grep GLIBCXX Emby was indeed was missing the version so I ran 

mv /opt/emby-server/lib/libstdc++.so.6 /tmp/libstdc++.so.6.bk && cp /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6 /opt/emby-server/lib/libstdc++.so.6

and it fixed the error

TMCsw

I didn’t have any problem with Debian 12,  but I started from scratch:

• fresh install Proxmox 8.0.2 (update and upgrade)
  • create Debian 12 CT (from Proxmox Debian 12 template) (update and upgrade) (add hardware pass through)
  • install emby 4.8.0.39 (set-up normally)

Every thing is working fine so far (including QuickSync VAAPI and RTM) … … no lib errors or otherwise.

This is my first time testing out if I want to switch my regular server to run Proxmox - looks promising...

tmurd87
25 minutes ago, TMCsw said:

I didn’t have any problem with Debian 12,  but I started from scratch:

• fresh install Proxmox 8.0.2 (update and upgrade)
  • create Debian 12 CT (from Proxmox Debian 12 template) (update and upgrade) (add hardware pass through)
  • install emby 4.8.0.39 (set-up normally)

Every thing is working fine so far (including QuickSync VAAPI and RTM) … … no lib errors or otherwise.

This is my first time testing out if I want to switch my regular server to run Proxmox - looks promising...

Probably because your running Proxmox 8.0.2 I forgot to note I'm running 7.4-16 still. I haven't upgraded my servers yet. did you have any issues when upgrading to 8 from 7 or did you do a clean install? I love Proxmox Really haven't had any major issues and the backup server is amazing. for me it's been best I prefer it over others like Truenas etc.

Edited by tmurd87
added few things

TMCsw

No I didn’t upgrade, did a clean(fresh) install as this is the first time I’ve used Proxmox. I’m testing this on a laptop to see if I’d want to replace my Ubuntu server with Proxmox.

Testing laptop: i7-8550U @ 1.80GHz (4c/8t) w/UHD 620, 16GB ram/250gb SSD/1TB HDD

tmurd87
4 hours ago, TMCsw said:

No I didn’t upgrade, did a clean(fresh) install as this is the first time I’ve used Proxmox. I’m testing this on a laptop to see if I’d want to replace my Ubuntu server with Proxmox.

Testing laptop: i7-8550U @ 1.80GHz (4c/8t) w/UHD 620, 16GB ram/250gb SSD/1TB HDD

Yea I upgraded to Proxmox 8.0.3 and still get the error after installing latest beta when updating the container it throws the error unless I complete the steps mentioned above

alucryd

What action is triggering that error exactly? Everything in the deb is compiled against the same libstdc++ version, which is shipped in the package, so this should not happen in theory.

tmurd87
4 hours ago, alucryd said:

What action is triggering that error exactly? Everything in the deb is compiled against the same libstdc++ version, which is shipped in the package, so this should not happen in theory.

the beta version was missing GLIBCXX_3.4.29. verified with strings /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6 | grep GLIBCXX and strings /opt/emby-server/lib/libstdc++.so.6 | grep GLIBCXX

TMCsw

For me it looks like emby is using GLIBCXX_3.4.28 Not .29 (or 30). Perhaps you have a plugin or something else that requires a newer update?

image.png.076e1996c15292b9baa009be62897751.png

alucryd

We are shipping and building against .28 indeed, we use the same toolchain for everything and have no direct dep on the system, because for docker we don't use a base image like ubuntu so we need to provide everything for emby to work. The deb contains the same files as the docker container, you can verify it only requires glibc from the system by looking at the control file, and in the shlibs file you will see that every lib is provided by our package.

Package: emby-server
Version: 4.8.0.39
Architecture: amd64
Maintainer: Emby LLC <apps@emby.media>
Installed-Size: 665132
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.27)
Section: misc
Priority: optional
Description: Emby Server is a personal media server with apps on just about every device.

@tmurd87That did not answer my question, when do you get the error, when installing the server, when starting it?

• 3 weeks later...
tmurd87

Sorry for the late response wife had a flair up and haven't had a chance to do anything. I finally had was able to make a new container with Debian 12 and fresh install and put stuff back from a back up and everything is normal. weirdly enough the error wasn't causing issues with emby it's self when running apt update it would throw the error saying the emby libc was missing the correct stuff. I think maybe when I did  a upgrade from debian 11 to 12 something might of went wrong. 

On 7/23/2023 at 6:33 PM, TMCsw said:

For me it looks like emby is using GLIBCXX_3.4.28 Not .29 (or 30). Perhaps you have a plugin or something else that requires a newer update?

image.png.076e1996c15292b9baa009be62897751.png

You are correct emby does run 28 and not 29 or 30 but It was something to do with the base container throwing the code like the base system was relying on emby libc and not it's own. cause when I installed the emby update I couldn't run apt update to update the container or I would get the error. I did a fresh install of debian not a upgrade and it's all working fine as intended. since it happened only when I installed the emby update I was assuming it was caused by that and not the base system upgrade from 11.

@LukeSorry for the late response  

• Thanks 1