Plex layoffs

gene0915

Gilgamesh_48

There, probably, is some justification for posting this here but, as I have been told before, Plex and Emby are two different programs and what Plex does is of less interest to me than when my neighbors dog takes time to pee.

But, to be honest, I wish Plex would just die and go away. I started with Plex a long time ago and they were a good company then but greed took over and they have become just as evil as the largest companies and I moved totally to Emby many year ago.
I welcome the layoffs as it might just indicate the upcoming demise of Plex. I will attend the online wake if they die and rejoice in the overall gain of integrity that the business world and even the internet that the loss of Plex will have.

• Haha 1

gene0915

Totally agree with you! My intent wasn't to post this to stir debate or have a pity party for Plex, just as awareness for the Emby devs that they might see an influx of money if Plex goes under because if that happens, I'm immediately telling my friends that the Plex party is O_V_E_R and they need to buy Emby for their streaming devices ASAP.

Currently, I maintain a Plex -and- Emby server. Most of my friends still use Plex (mainly because that's what I started them with and people are normally resistant to change) but several got tired of codec/playback issues and moved to Emby and while they preferred the Plex interface, they like the solid playback that Emby gives them.

I've been ITCHING for a reason to dump Plex and hopefully this will be it.

I don't like seeing people lose their jobs but Plex's bad business decisions, and their continued neglect of some server and client issues, is driving me up the wall.

Gilgamesh_48
41 minutes ago, gene0915 said:

I don't like seeing people lose their jobs but Plex's bad business decisions, and their continued neglect of some server and client issues, is driving me up the wall.

If the people that lose their jobs are really any good they will find employment easily. However if they are not any good then Walmart is almost always hiring or MacDonald's or the local convenience store. People in most areas that want work can find it.

• Agree 1

Gilgamesh_48

In the Plex forums this was discussed a bit.
Plex forum about the layoffs

I do not really think it adds much, except a lot of noise, but it does provide some insights.
But I am quite surprised that the thread stayed open. Plex really really really does not like their dirty laundry aired in public.

• 1 month later...
tedfroop

Typical of a lot of software/hardware companies.  They hire and add on for development and when that cycle is done, lay off those they don't need.

On 19/07/2023 at 17:13, Gilgamesh_48 said:

Plex really really really does not like their dirty laundry aired in public.

No they sure don't.  When I was using their software if I wanted action just mention one of their exec's having a pissing contest with theTVDB a few years ago (yeah - they cut out an excellent meta provide because some exec was unhappy with them) and I got instant help so they could delete the thread as fast as possible.......