Please support DolbyVision

TurkeyMan

rbjtech

I'm just remuxing a DV8/DTS-HD/THD MKV to MP4 using the Dovi_Tools scripts - it will take a while - but it should proove that multi-audio tracks works just fine.

The advantage my C7 has over your CX is it also natively supports DTS and DTS-HD ... ;)

I'll report back when it's done ..

Edited by rbjtech

rbjtech

lol - now I know why I bought a Shield Pro !

Nightmare getting DV to work full stop - so I can't get DV8.1 working at all, DV5 appears to be ok but I've only got some demo's of that as I junked DV5 a long time ago as it has no HDR fallback layer as you know.  I also need to check DV7 as I'm sure I originally got that working (as an MP4) but may have needed to use TS.

Can't spend that much more time on this - but my advice would be to buy a Shield Pro (lol) - it will save you time - as it literally plays it all without conversion ...

ps - this is on the previous LG release (1037), not the new one as that appears to have lots of issues ...

Edited by rbjtech

TurkeyMan
1 hour ago, rbjtech said:

The advantage my C7 has over your CX is it also natively supports DTS and DTS-HD ... ;)

Really? You're fark'n joking! They *REMOVED* support for the super-common audio formats!

Personally, I'm not into attaching things to the TV if I can avoid it, and I see no reason to have an LG Emby client if it's not made to work as well as it can.

Trouble in my house is that family struggle to work inputs, and they just press Netflix or Prime instead of Emby if it's not there on the TV's home screen. This is the world we live in now! People can't operate technology anymore. In my household, if it's not on the TV's home screen, it simply doesn't exist...

For what it's worth, every piece of DV material I have, all DV profile versions I have available all follow the rules I've shown by my tests. Your TV is quite old now, and might have been one of the very first ones that supported DV. I think it's kinda settled in.

Edited by TurkeyMan

SamES
2 hours ago, rbjtech said:

So, again from memory, the LG App has a nasty habit of skipping the Audio track to find a playable track and not reporting this to emby - ie you think it's playing one track, but it's actually playing another.   The AVR display is the only way to see what the internal LG 'player' is actually using ...

Thanks @rbjtech.  Yes, this is very true, you need to be careful of this quirk.

If you really care about DV, DTS, ATMOS then Shield Pro is the way to go.

Unfortunately on the TV client apps (LG, Samsung, etc) we are limited by the manufacturer.

• Agree 1

TurkeyMan
1 minute ago, SamES said:

Thanks @rbjtech.  Yes, this is very true, you need to be careful of this quirk.

If we understand the characteristics of that quirk though, it's easy to compensate for it in the app by issuing a transcode instead of a copy in the remux as necessary.

Maybe the simplest, least-code solution is the path I initially suggested; since a container remux for MP4 is required anyway, then just mux in the one single selected audio track and drop the others, transcode if it's not in the supported codec set. That's pretty simple logic, it's foolproof, and resistant to differences in support between TV model years.

TurkeyMan

Did anyone feel any conclusions on which way to go with this? Should I anticipate a fix at some future time, or should I keep destroying my source media in lieu? :(

SamES
1 hour ago, TurkeyMan said:

Did anyone feel any conclusions on which way to go with this? Should I anticipate a fix at some future time, or should I keep destroying my source media in lieu? :(

It's not a quick fix.  For example, we need to determine if the TV supports DV, and if possible, which flavours, then determine if any model can direct play or if it needs a container swap (and any other quirks like multiple audio tracks, etc) and then we need to account for users that don't want any transcoding or container swaps (ie: they have a low powered server) and would prefer to forego the DV.  Many of these quirks vary from year to year, and even different models from the same year so there are multiple combinations and permutations to consider.  We also need to consider if this development effort best serves the user base, or if there are other more important things if this has a relatively easy work-around.

While we could possibly achieve all of this, there are a lot variables to consider and it would be a nightmare to support.  Despite all of this, we wouldn't keep everyone happy anyway.  We would make as many people unhappy ☹️ as we would happy 🥳

All just my opinion of course - Luke might have other thoughts and in the future it might become easier to support a concept like this, but I would say there aren't any current plans, and nothing that is going to solve your problems quickly.

If DV is important to you, as well as preserving as much original quality and variations of audio tracks as possible then you are better off manually converting these directly to your needs (you could do this easily with a script and ffmpeg) because even if this is eventually possible on the server, the solution would be a 'best fit' for everyone and not exactly to your liking.

Or...buy an nVidia Shield Pro and just enjoy the movie 🍿.

Edited by SamES
  • Agree 1

rbjtech
1 hour ago, SamES said:

Or...buy an nVidia Shield Pro and just enjoy the movie 🍿.

This - I figured my time is of more value than the frustration of getting media into a format that the LG would reliably play.

Yes it would be nice to use the Magic Remote etc of the LG, but just having the Shield Remote turn on/off the AVR, TV etc automatically - it really isn't that much grief.     You may even be able to use the LG Remote with the Shield, although I've never bothered to try.

I format all my DV movies into DV8/MKV now (with HDR10 fallback) and the LG seems to have no issues playing these as HDR10.   As it's the only LG in the house and has the Shield anyway, it's not an issue.  All my other devices such as the 4K Max play DV8/MKV just fine.

To note - the Shield Pro 2019 is obviously a few years old now - and thus it does not natively play AV1 - so bear that in mind if you do decide to get one.

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1