FLAC in video not playing right

TurkeyMan

TurkeyMan

I've seen lots of FLAC issues, but not quite matching what I'm testing.

There's heaps of DV content floating around these days, and Emby won't transcode for DV, so I'm doing it manually.

I'm finding that LG TV's will play DV only if it's in an MP4 container, and it also has just one audio track in a supported audio format.

Most blurays have DTS HD MA, and I've been normally transcoding to EAC3, and it's all working fine, but then I felt bad to destroy the audio track, and started trying FLAC instead.

Surprisingly, LG TV's do natively play multitrack FLAC audio in MP4 containers, so I transcode some DTS HD MA film to FLAC as a test, but the audio is all messed up. It feels like the channel assignment is incorrect; volumes of different channels are all messed up and/or they're in the wrong place.

I play the same media on the PC (downmix to 2 channels), and the file sounds identical to the original DTS HD MA. So I don't think the problem is Emby unless the problem was corrected by the down-mix in the PC software, but I guess it's the TV itself.

What I do notice is that the DTS HD MA track has channel layout: C L R Ls Rs LFE

The transcoded FLAC track has: L R C LFE Ls Rs

So, maybe the PC software respects the channel layout metadata, but the TV is assuming a layout that it expects from DTS file?

I transcoded the same media to EAC3 as a test. It sounds correct on the TV, and the channel layout reports: L R C LFE Ls Rs

So, surprisingly EAC3 uses the same channel layout as FLAC, not the same as DTS...

Anyway, does anybody know anything? I might be way off course, but it's the only lead I've got to work with.

Does anyone know how to force the FLAC codec to assign the channels such that they match DTS?