Audio Playback Issues

Dreakon13

Dreakon13

Hi, so I have a media file where if I start an episode new it seems to work okay, but if I resume the episode from in the middle somewhere I get weird results.  Sometimes it'll play the Japanese audio, despite English audio being selected.  Sometimes it'll play the correct English audio then quickly bug out (going silent, stuttering, desyncing, etc).  It's tough to get one specific thing happening consistently, besides it simply not working, which is the case every time.  It is direct playing everything, though I kinda wonder if maybe the OPUS audio should actually be transcoding.

My Roku's and the web app seem to work okay, so it seems to be specific to my Samsung Smart TV.

This is the server log... I rebooted beforehand to clean up the log, then I just resumed the episode.  Relevant playback starts at 2023-07-16 07:54:17.965 I believe.

embyserver.txt

This is the format...

image.thumb.png.18aa576492ec523544c90bfe16ed19a1.png

Here are the answers to these questions...

Samsung model number:
Model Code - QN60Q60BAFXZA

Samsung firmware version:
(nothing specificially says firmware on the TV but this is the "software version")

Samsung Emby client version:
Emby for Samsung 1.4.8

Emby server version:

Let me know if there's anything else I can provide to help please

Edited by Dreakon13

SamES

Is it just this one episode that has an issue?  Opus should be fine to DirectPlay.

My guess is that it might just be a file related issue.  There isn't much that we have control with when it DirectPlays, and the fact that is a bit random leads me to think that, particularly if it's only this file. 

What happens if you try swapping between audio tracks during playback after you resume?  

Dreakon13
46 minutes ago, SamES said:

Is it just this one episode that has an issue?  Opus should be fine to DirectPlay.

My guess is that it might just be a file related issue.  There isn't much that we have control with when it DirectPlays, and the fact that is a bit random leads me to think that, particularly if it's only this file. 

What happens if you try swapping between audio tracks during playback after you resume?  

Tried a different episode with the same formats and I'm still seeing the issues.  Honestly, I might've just been testing things too fast... but I think both starting the episodes over and resuming are having issues.  Within 5-10 seconds the audio cuts out/stutters in both scenarios, both the Japanese and English audio tracks.  This is an issue a user mentioned to me, I just happened to have a Samsung TV to try with so I'm learning a bit as I go.

If I switch audio during playback it works for maybe 2-3 seconds then back to cutting out/stuttering.

I watched the episode for maybe 5 minutes on my Roku and it's ok, so I don't think its inherently an issue with the file.

23 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

Could you tell us how many subtitles are in that file?  Picture cuts off.

6 subtitles on that one.  4 on another episode I tried.

Edited by Dreakon13

Dreakon13

For what it's worth, I pulled one of the files down and remuxed it with just the video and audio tracks (no subtitles) and the issues are still present.

4 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

For what it's worth, I pulled one of the files down and remuxed it with just the video and audio tracks (no subtitles) and the issues are still present.

Can you try converting the audio to aac or mp3?

Dreakon13
1 hour ago, Luke said:

Can you try converting the audio to aac or mp3?

I converted the two audio tracks to AAC, muxed them back with the same video track, and it's working now.

It's a roughly 900+ episode series so I'm kinda hoping I don't have to do that for all of them lol.  The original OPUS tracks seem to work on Roku devices, web app, playing them locally, etc.  It seems like it's just the Samsung TV having trouble playing them back.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

SamES
29 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

I converted the two audio tracks to AAC, muxed them back with the same video track, and it's working now.

It's a roughly 900+ episode series so I'm kinda hoping I don't have to do that for all of them lol.  The original OPUS tracks seem to work on Roku devices, web app, playing them locally, etc.  It seems like it's just the Samsung TV having trouble playing them back.

Is the Roku DirectPlaying these files, or is it converting the audio?

Dreakon13
12 minutes ago, SamES said:

Is the Roku DirectPlaying these files, or is it converting the audio?

Hmm... Roku is transcoding to AAC actually.  The web app is also transcoding (to MP3).

I just tried it on my Android phone now and it's direct playing it, and works.

Edited by Dreakon13

• 2 weeks later...
Dreakon13

Just wondering if there were any more thoughts on this issue.

I get that some other devices are transcoding and AAC seems to work better, but if OPUS is supposed to work on this TV then I'd really rather not have to re-encode the audio on a 900+ episode series.  Anything I can do to test further or is there a place I could drop the file maybe for the experts to test with?

On 7/31/2023 at 6:53 AM, Dreakon13 said:

I get that some other devices are transcoding and AAC seems to work better, but if OPUS is supposed to work on this TV then I'd really rather not have to re-encode the audio on a 900+ episode series.  Anything I can do to test further or is there a place I could drop the file maybe for the experts to test with?

Since you're able to convert files, can you try doing a remux of a file and just keep the same original streams intact? Sometimes that helps with these kinds of issues.

If not, then I have another answer which you're probably not going to like - there is a long list of devices that support opus, but sometimes have trouble doing so. We may have to add Samsung to that list.

SamES
On 31/07/2023 at 20:53, Dreakon13 said:

Luke may be correct with his last comment, but do you want to PM me a link to a file I can test?

Dreakon13

Thanks guys, I passed the file along to @SamES

If it ends up being that this file is technically supported and the playback is just botched for some weird non-Emby related reason, I'm okay with that.  Just appreciate that someone with a bit more knowledge than me can take a look.  It'd be cool if there's some sort of fix or solution to the problem, but if not I can figure out a plan B.  Thankfully I don't have a ton of media that uses OPUS besides this show.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Thanks 1

SamES

I've tested this on both my 2017 and 2022 Samsung models.  It works fine in both cases.  Both the Eng and Jap tracks work, I've watched at least several minutes of each.

I've tried switching tracks during playback, as well as stopping and resuming mid-way.  Skipping forward and back is also fine.

Is your TV on the same local network as the server, or is it a remote connection?

Dreakon13
59 minutes ago, SamES said:

I've tested this on both my 2017 and 2022 Samsung models.  It works fine in both cases.  Both the Eng and Jap tracks work, I've watched at least several minutes of each.

I've tried switching tracks during playback, as well as stopping and resuming mid-way.  Skipping forward and back is also fine.

Is your TV on the same local network as the server, or is it a remote connection?

That's a shame, was hoping it'd at least give you the same troubles.  Hard to troubleshoot what you can't see.

On my TV, it's the same local network.  On the person who originally pointed out the issue to me, it's a remote connection.

Would it help if I took a video of it not working with my phone? lol

Edited by Dreakon13

So it could be device/model specific or it could be that the data isn't getting there quickly enough and this is causing playback issues.

Dreakon13
1 hour ago, Luke said:

So it could be device/model specific or it could be that the data isn't getting there quickly enough and this is causing playback issues.

If it were the latter, I would think that the data wouldn't get there quick enough for AAC and other formats too right

And it is my local network so I'd be very surprised if it were a speed issue.

Edited by Dreakon13

3 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

If it were the latter, I would think that the data wouldn't get there quick enough for AAC and other formats too right

No, I don't think you can make that assumption.

Dreakon13

I appreciate you're trying to come up with an explanation for it, though I don't totally agree with the line of thinking.  I'm not an expert in audio formats or networking, but if the video works and all other audio formats work, I wouldn't necessarily suspect bandwidth.

Here is a 50 second clip of the issue if it helps to make sense of it at all.

Please turn the volume up loud enough to hear it.  As soon as the video starts you'll hear the Japanese track play very briefly, then it switches to English.  At about the 35 second mark, the audio will cut out altogether.  In the last few seconds of the clip, you can hear the audio stutter back in a little bit.

Edited by Dreakon13

SamES
21 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

On my TV, it's the same local network.  On the person who originally pointed out the issue to me, it's a remote connection.

Do you both have the same model TV?  Can you please confirm both model numbers?

Please check again your firmware version - if possible find your model on the Samsung site for your country and download the latest as it is often newer than the automatic download version.  Maybe the latest is 1420.9, but it will depend on your country. Manuals & Software | Official Samsung Support US