Supporter Key issue again

390x99xdsa

390x99xdsa

Hi

So I (finally) got around to retrying the supporter key. This time it sent me a key, but is is the same key that you generated the last time for only 30 days. (After the whole misunderstanding / refund last time).  So this key doesn't work - still says expired. 

So if you could please

1. DON'T REFUND

2. DON'T REFUND

3. Create a lifetime key that won't expire.

4. Send it to me.

Tying it to a different email address is not really an option, that would work for me.

I would like to proceed to send you another $10 for the MBPlus even though it doesn't play the smartlists is the order they appear from the webclient, and it only shows the clock in 12 hour and not 24 hour format, but I can't do that until the server reports that the supporter key is valid.

Thanks.

Andrew

390x99xdsa

Hi - Thanks for the follow up, but well when I started today it said that key was a 30-day key and it expired a few days ago.

When it sent me the supporter key today the number was exactly the same starting the a "c" and ending with 96.

Not realizing that immediately, though I simply went and updated the key value with what I was sent (again "c...96")

Is there a way I can post a screen shot of what my server is saying now?

On the main dashboard I still have a link Please Support Media Browser.

On the Support:Supporter Key screen the "Supporter Key" field is background rgb(255,​ 182,​ 193) (which as you know is a "red/pink").

and below says

-----

Supporter key is missing or invalid.

In order for any premium content to be registered, you must also be a Media Browser Supporter. Please donate and support the continued development of the core product. Thank you.

-----

390x99xdsa

However,

/System/SupporterINfo reports

Email  *** Supporter Key  c****96 Expiration Date 2050-12-31T00:00:00.0000000Z Registration Date  2014-09-11T09:06:26.0000000Z Plan Type Lifetime Is Active Supporter false Is Expired Supporter false

Should the Is Active Supporter be false if it is a lifetime key?

390x99xdsa

And so for the MBPlugin, I can't proceed to go any further, because it doesn't think I have a valid supporter key

The trial period for this feature has expired

This plugin will require an active supporter membership in order to purchase after the 14 day free trial.

NB: "will require an active supporter membership", which based on the above output from SuporterINfo, says that "Is Active Supporter" is false, without exploring further, it seems that MBPlus is checking that very flag and if it returns false won't produce the link to actually donate to get the MBPlus key.

Looks like something doesn't toggle the Is Active Supporter flag back to true when a key status is changed from expired.

Is there any chance that "Is Active Supporter" is only evaluated on server startup?

Potentially, if the key didn't actually change (expiring keys is a new concept).  Have you not tried re-starting the server?

390x99xdsa

Yes once I got home I restarted and it now correctly states Is Active Supporter is true.  So, if you're going to have expiring keys and not issue different keys, then you really should consider making the server's detection of the rights conferred and expiration of key dynamic, or at a minimum provide a UI to restart the server, even if is running as Windows Service (which mine is, which is why I couldn't restart it remotely) -- I allow access to the MB server HTTP via VPN, but I don't allow RDP or other Windows protocols from anything but the local LAN. 

If a server restart is going to be necessary to complete licensing in some circumstances, I think that should be made clear (at the very least) in the UI, even if you don't provide a UI to actually restart server (esp in case of it being a Windows Service -- since I know you have plug in to restart the server if it is not a Windows Service).

So it appears it maybe the same issue now that I paid you for MBPlus, it still says expired, so I have to restart the server again to make it see the MBPlus rights now conferred by the same key. 

So restarting the server process the 2nd time allows the MBPlus plugin to recognize it as registered.

So now I'm concerned, if my Internet access fails for any reason, does that mean that the MB server will think the licensing is expired or invalid, and make it so that MBPlus wouldn't run.  Do you have live "call-home" validation process for licensing? -- I'll guess I'll cross that bridge if it ever happens.

It would be double whammy for the Internet to be out and then have the MB stop working because of that so, not only is the Internet down, but watching MB served content would be broken too.

Anyway, I guess at least for me this is a done deal. 

Thanks for the previous follow up.

You aren't supposed to have to re-start the server.  If you do, that is a bug and it is a new one because the system has been designed from the get-go to not require that and I know it has worked in the past.

@@Luke?