1.0.39 Intro skip is messed up

Dog_Bronson

Dog_Bronson

Hi

After updating to 1.0.39 the intro skip for shows is behaving strangely. Oftentimes the button that pops up to skip the intro is way late into the episode, and the prompt to skip to next episode or continue watching pops up near the beginning, sometimes even before the intro.

This was not an issue before updating and previous episodes that I know worked correctly now do not.

Going into the Intro/Credit Skip settings on the server that shows the times the credits and intro are detected by season shows the correct times, but the prompts don't come up at these times on the TV regardless. Resetting data has not helped.

seanbuff
3 hours ago, Dog_Bronson said:

Going into the Intro/Credit Skip settings on the server that shows the times the credits and intro are detected by season shows the correct times

Where exactly in the server are you seeing these timestamps? Are you perhaps using the plugin instead?

• Agree 1

rbjtech
7 hours ago, seanbuff said:

Where exactly in the server are you seeing these timestamps? Are you perhaps using the plugin instead?

The Core does not have the ability to do any of what the OP is using (edit, credit markers, reset etc ..) - so yes, I believe this is the Plugin ...

@Dog_Bronsonmake sure you turn OFF any introskip (Marker) options in the TV library - but turn ON the Client side introskip options (either manual or auto).

In the Plugin itself - turn OFF any 'Auto Skip' options (in the Tab) - as these have been replaced with the Core client features above.

Ensure you are running the 'IntroSkip Chapter Insertion' task in the Emby Scheduler - as this is the task which writes the necessary 'Markers' - exactly the same as the Core would do.  It also writes proper chapters (Intro and End Credits) but they have no reflection on the actual skipping.

To note - the times/details you see in the 'edit' function are the values stored in the Plugin Intro database - but they are not available in the Emby Core (chapter) database until you run the above scheduled task - so this is likely your problem.

I still run the Plugin (as do many others) and have not seen any issues with the latest Beta's - both server and clients - and unless Emby change the way the 'Markers' work - then it should continue to work alongside just fine.  

Edited by rbjtech

Dog_Bronson

Sorry, everyone. I thought I didn't have the plugin installed anymore but it turns out I do. I completely forgot somehow there even was a plugin.

6 hours ago, rbjtech said:

@Dog_Bronsonmake sure you turn OFF any introskip (Marker) options in the TV library - but turn ON the Client side introskip options (either manual or auto).

In the Plugin itself - turn OFF any 'Auto Skip' options (in the Tab) - as these have been replaced with the Core client features above.

Ensure you are running the 'IntroSkip Chapter Insertion' task in the Emby Scheduler - as this is the task which writes the necessary 'Markers' - exactly the same as the Core would do.  It also writes proper chapters (Intro and End Credits) but they have no reflection on the actual skipping.

To note - the times/details you see in the 'edit' function are the values stored in the Plugin Intro database - but they are not available in the Emby Core (chapter) database until you run the above scheduled task - so this is likely your problem.

I still run the Plugin (as do many others) and have not seen any issues with the latest Beta's - both server and clients - and unless Emby change the way the 'Markers' work - then it should continue to work alongside just fine.  

I already have those settings and I run the IntroSkip Chapter Insertion task (as well as the audio fingerprinting and title sequence detection) whenever I add new media to the library.

So I haven't actually done anything different up to now except update the LG app. It might not be the app update itself but maybe somewhere something went wrong with my data. The timing of it made me think the update broke introskip. Maybe I need to just uninstall the plugin, see if the core feature works, and go from there. I'll post later once I am able to this with the results.

rbjtech
2 hours ago, Dog_Bronson said:

Maybe I need to just uninstall the plugin, see if the core feature works, and go from there. I'll post later once I am able to this with the results.

Depends if you want the ability to view, shows level resets, episode edit, detection over 10mins inside the episode, credit detection, ability to exclude shows, correct chapter creation ....

There is a LOT missing from the bare bones introskip in the Core ... 🤔

Dog_Bronson
On 7/13/2023 at 11:24 PM, Luke said:

HI there, can you please provide a specific example? thanks.

I uninstalled the plugin and I've ran the Detect Episode Intros task. I'm still having the same problem as before where the skip intro prompt is often in the wrong place if it even comes up at all, and often the prompt to start next episode or continue watching shows at the beginning of the episode.

For example, in Malcolm in the Middle, about 30 or seconds or so into most episodes it asks if I want to play the next episode (before the intro sequence) and the skip intro button never appears at all (first attachment). This happens with nearly every show we've watched, though.

This problem only showed up after updating the LG app, but I'm thinking this is coincidental so it's probably on my end somewhere. I tried watching on my PC to see if the same thing happened. It does not prompt me to skip to the next episode until the end, so that's correct, but the skip intro button still doesn't pop up. Looking through the chapters, the intro was detected several minutes late (second attachment).

16 hours ago, rbjtech said:

Depends if you want the ability to view, shows level resets, episode edit, detection over 10mins inside the episode, credit detection, ability to exclude shows, correct chapter creation ....

There is a LOT missing from the bare bones introskip in the Core ... 🤔

I don't really care about any of that. At this point I just want to be able to skip intros and for whatever reason neither core nor plugin seem to be functioning correctly for me.

20230715_110117.jpg

Untitled.jpg

4 hours ago, Dog_Bronson said:

I uninstalled the plugin and I've ran the Detect Episode Intros task. I'm still having the same problem as before where the skip intro prompt is often in the wrong place if it even comes up at all, and often the prompt to start next episode or continue watching shows at the beginning of the episode.

For example, in Malcolm in the Middle, about 30 or seconds or so into most episodes it asks if I want to play the next episode (before the intro sequence) and the skip intro button never appears at all (first attachment). This happens with nearly every show we've watched, though.

This problem only showed up after updating the LG app, but I'm thinking this is coincidental so it's probably on my end somewhere. I tried watching on my PC to see if the same thing happened. It does not prompt me to skip to the next episode until the end, so that's correct, but the skip intro button still doesn't pop up. Looking through the chapters, the intro was detected several minutes late (second attachment).

I don't really care about any of that. At this point I just want to be able to skip intros and for whatever reason neither core nor plugin seem to be functioning correctly for me.

20230715_110117.jpg

Untitled.jpg

Now that you've removed the plugin, please try refreshing the metadata on impacted titles and running the detect intros scheduled task. If there's still an issue, then let's look at a specific example. Thanks.

rbjtech
15 hours ago, Dog_Bronson said:

This problem only showed up after updating the LG app, but I'm thinking this is coincidental so it's probably on my end somewhere. I tried watching on my PC to see if the same thing happened. It does not prompt me to skip to the next episode until the end, so that's correct, but the skip intro button still doesn't pop up.

Sounds like it's the LG App having issues - if it works in a Web Browser, then the Introskip 'Markers' are correct (in both the Plugin and/or Core).

To note, the Introskip detection (be it the Plugin or the Core) is not an exact science - so the intro 'may' not be 100% detected where you think it should be.

If it's just a couple of mis-detections - then use the Plugin to edit it (which you can't do now, as you have removed it ...) or use the ChapterAPI to correct the timings.   The Core has no ability to modify the incorrect detection.