Emby Theater not changing refresh rates

SteveFintel

SteveFintel

I have Emby Theater set for gpu-next, enable display refresh rate switching checked and everything else set for Auto. When I play 24 fps content (or anything other than 60 fps), the refresh rate doesn't change. I'm running Windows 11 on a 10th gen Core i5 system (and Intel NUC). Here's what media info shows for this content. Log file attached.

Video

Title4K Dolby Vision HEVC
CodecHEVC
ProfileMain 10
Level150
Resolution3840x2160
Aspect Ratio16:9
InterlacedNo
Framerate23.976
Bitrate16 mbps
Video RangeDolbyVision
Color Primariesbt2020
Color Spacebt2020nc
Color Transfersmpte2084
Bit Depth10 bit
Pixel Formatyuv420p10le
Reference Frames1

mpv-log.txt

SteveFintel

Here you go. This is the media info:

Video

Title720p H264
CodecH264
ProfileHigh
Level41
Resolution1280x548
Aspect Ratio320:137
InterlacedNo
Framerate23.976
Bitrate6 mbps
Color Primariesbt709
Color Spacebt709
Color Transferbt709
Bit Depth8 bit
Pixel Formatyuv420p
Reference Frames1

mpv-log.txt

SteveFintel

@generiqAny update on this? Although the various Android streaming devices support 4K HDR, they don't support TrueHD streams. My theater PC does support both, but only at lower refresh rates and if Emby Theater won't change refresh, then I'm stuck.

generiq
19 hours ago, SteveFintel said:

@generiqAny update on this? Although the various Android streaming devices support 4K HDR, they don't support TrueHD streams. My theater PC does support both, but only at lower refresh rates and if Emby Theater won't change refresh, then I'm stuck.

I'm afraid this an emby developer issue. But based on what you're saying,  what you're actually trying accomplish is HDR with Atmos, correct? And your receiver only supports HDR at lower refresh rates, yes? If so, you can try setting your refresh rate to 30hz. That will enable HDR and play video smoothly. At 30hz, the Theater UI might judder a little,  but function correctly. 

SteveFintel

I am trying to do HDR with Atmos. I've tried setting the refresh to 30 Hz permanently. Some programming (not just the UI) looks pretty bad at that rate.

In any case, having Emby Theater change the refresh rate to match the content should work. My Firestick does that and the content looks terrific. But the Firestick doesn't support Dolby TrueHD.

rbjtech
On 19/07/2023 at 01:06, SteveFintel said:

The Shield Pro supports all the HD Audio codecs - the only video codec it does not support is AV1.  It also does not support HDR10+, but does support HDR10, DV5,DV7 and DV8.  Refresh rates changes to 23.976 or 24 works fine.    I think there may be 'some' other non-name devices that can do this - but it is the 'go-to' client if you want trouble free 4K HDR/Dolby Vision with HD Audio passthrough for a 'Cinema' type setup with an AVR.

edit - this is obviously AndroidTV - but emby are forcing the Android (non TV) client hard - but the AndroidTV client still works 100% for me on all 4K high bitrate remux's (up to ~100Mbit/sec) - troublefree.

Edited by rbjtech