Buffering issues when watching HDR10 movies on Nvidia Shield Pro

Fuze1444

Fuze1444

Hello everyone,

I do hope we can resolve the bug I have because I like Emby a lot :)

When I watch movies on HDR10 format, the movie experience a sudden freeze for ~15-20 sec and afterwards the movie starts to freeze and buffer for around 5 seconds every few minutes and the movie becomes unwatchable. I must say that the initial freeze ("the big freeze") that starts the whole mess always happen at the same exact spot in the movie (in the tested movie for the generated report I attached in this post, the initial freeze appears when the entire screen goes bright white).

The freeze and buffering are only unique to HDR10 movies. Dolby Vision and everything else plays smooth!

To test the movie to exclude corrupted files, I played the HDR10 movie on other players such as VLC, Kodi, Just Player...the movie worked smooth without a single freeze, then I switched back to emby internal player and the freeze happened again.

I have emby premiere and so hardware acceleration is on...if it helps somehow. I switched every imaginable option in the playback settings and "the big freeze" that starts the mini freezes onwards always keep happening in the exact spot to the millisecond.

My emby server is installed on Nvidia shield pro.

Emby_Debug_Report.txt

Fuze1444
35 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi. Your server is on the same device as the client app viewing it?

Yes. Everything is installed on Nvidia shield pro. Nvidia shield is connected to AVR and AVR is connected to the TV.

Your log indicates that the remux and audio conversion are moving fast enough so I suspect either I/O or CPU bottlenecks on the device trying to handle everything.

If you choose an audio track that doesn't need to be converted (that one was True HD), does it work better?

Fuze1444

Not sure what do you mean by "Choose and audio track that doesn't need to be converted"...anyway, I played a different movie that has more than one audio track.

Played the movie on Dolby TrueHD 7.1 audio - the movie froze, buffered for few minutes and resumed play.

Then I played the same movie, but this time picked up AC3 5.1 Audio track - the movie froze in the exact same spot as with Dolby TrueHD..

Attaching Log.

Any ideas?

ffmpeg-directstream-e29967fe-7ef3-4bc6-b05f-deb71860c396_1.txt

It is still getting run through ffmpeg and it is a very high bitrate item (78mb/s).  My guess is this is just too much for the device to handle at once (all the I/O and processing required).

Fuze1444

I don't think the device is the problem, and my internet is fiber with 1000mb/s.

Other very high bitrate movies on different formats such as Dolby Vision plays fine. Also, when I change inside Emby's client the media player from internal (ExoPlayer) to VLC, the movie runs smooth (The same movie that got bufferings and freezes with Emby's native media player).

If it's too complicated to pin point the issue with Emby's native player, I don't mind playing media with external player (option inside the client that enables swapping between players...), but I couldn't find a media player that supports Dolby Vision codec on google play store.

Can you recommend on such (not "Just (Video) Player" as this player has its own issues)? 

Thanks.

8 hours ago, Fuze1444 said:

I don't think the device is the problem, and my internet is fiber with 1000mb/s.

Other very high bitrate movies on different formats such as Dolby Vision plays fine. Also, when I change inside Emby's client the media player from internal (ExoPlayer) to VLC, the movie runs smooth (The same movie that got bufferings and freezes with Emby's native media player).

If it's too complicated to pin point the issue with Emby's native player, I don't mind playing media with external player (option inside the client that enables swapping between players...), but I couldn't find a media player that supports Dolby Vision codec on google play store.

Can you recommend on such (not "Just (Video) Player" as this player has its own issues)? 

Thanks.

Hi.  Can you try sideloading our standard android app on the same device and see how that compares?

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

Thanks.

• Facepalm 1

Junglejim
5 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi.  Can you try sideloading our standard android app on the same device and see how that compares?

Thanks.

@Lukeis this your standard scripted response for people with problems with ATV or are you just hellbent on promoting your standard android install?

Please try to fix these problems in the ATV app because your android app is not ready for the big screen!!

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, Fuze1444 said:

If both the app and server are on the same Shield then the internet connection would not come into play.

21 hours ago, Fuze1444 said:

Other very high bitrate movies on different formats such as Dolby Vision plays fine

They probably were able to direct play - thus not needing to involve ffmpeg.  When ffmpeg is involved, the data path would be something like:

storage server -> emby server -> internal file system -> ffmpeg -> internal file system -> emby server -> emby client app -> video player (decoders etc) -> screen

That's a lot of I/O on the same channel and a lot of activity on the device processor.  It is definitely worth trying the sideloaded app to see if any of that is more efficient in that case.

Fuze1444
38 minutes ago, ebr said:

If both the app and server are on the same Shield then the internet connection would not come into play.

They probably were able to direct play - thus not needing to involve ffmpeg.  When ffmpeg is involved, the data path would be something like:

storage server -> emby server -> internal file system -> ffmpeg -> internal file system -> emby server -> emby client app -> video player (decoders etc) -> screen

That's a lot of I/O on the same channel and a lot of activity on the device processor.  It is definitely worth trying the sideloaded app to see if any of that is more efficient in that case.

Sorry for my ignorance, I'm not that much of a tech guy. I will try every solution you guys propose if I can understand what to do. What exactly is the meaning of "It is definitely worth trying the sideloaded app"???

Do I need to install something extra on the Nvidia?

1 hour ago, Fuze1444 said:

What exactly is the meaning of "It is definitely worth trying the sideloaded app"???

Do I need to install something extra on the Nvidia?

Yes, you would need to "side-load" or manually install the APK referenced here:

14 hours ago, Luke said:

Thanks.

Fuze1444

Thanks for the help everyone!
I solved the problem by downloading external media player (mx media player pro), and replaced Emby's native media player (ExoPlayer).

Emby's feature that enables integrating external player proved to be very helpful.

Everything works now without issues.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
MrPaulo

Silly question - if the media is in the same box why use a client server solution like Emby? Emby is a mazing when streaming media to a client. I would use the likes of Kodi when all the media is in the same box - simpler.