Client video max bitrate auto detection deny transcode option

Zhadum101

Zhadum101

I would like a server side setting that can deny a transcode for a client requesting it due to client connection to server test.

The problem

The client when starting a stream does a connection test, based on this test if the video bit rate exceeds what the client  "thinks" it can stream the client requests a transcode.

***I want to disable this with a SERVER setting that tell the client NO direct stream this.

BUT

If the client says I cant play this as I cant decode HEVC or other non bandwidth related reason I want to allow the transcode 

The only way of doing this now is to on each client change the auto setting for video quality to NOT auto.  This is an issue as this setting has a mind of its own and switches back all the time as well as needing to do it on every client over and over again.

Additionally more options in the transcode section would be helpful a big one would be a global option for DO NOT TRASCODE 4K, just deny and try another copy you have that is not 4K.  For the most part the server does do this, but not always.  The above issue with the bandwidth test can result in the client getting a transcoded 4K stream which takes to many resources and degrades all the clients experience.  We try to help one client at the expense of them all.  

So Two things

1.  Client say I don't think I have enough bandwidth, for this stream, transcode please (Server side setting to say NO)

2.  Deny Transcode of 4K globally.

Users with larger library's would appreciate these features.  Especially users that optimize the library's with Tdarr or other tools.

For my library the idea is only to transcode if the client cant play HEVC.  I reduce bit rates on everything to below 4M even the 4K HDR content to below 4M

Zhadum101

Ah this is good for the second one, I hope that gets into the app

10 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Your second request is pretty much here:

Zhadum101

So when I see problems users are having like this these below two...(there are many more than these two, but these are just two examples)

These would all be addressed by add a server side option I mention as the main feature request of this thread.

1.  Client says I don't think I have enough bandwidth, for this stream, transcode please (Server side setting to say NO)

15 hours ago, Zhadum101 said:

These would all be addressed by add a server side option I mention

Maybe, maybe not.  What is for certain is such an option would create playback problems in many situations. You are never going to see reported the thousands of times the auto detection makes something play properly. 

Not to say an option like this won't be implemented, but we are very cautious about adding options that are very likely to cause at least as many problems as they solve.