Samsung TV 1.5.5 & 1.5.6 versions lag and pixels on any media.

FancyNerd92

FancyNerd92

Hello, I have 4 Samsung TVs 2x 2021 models 1x2019 model and 1x2018 model. In 2018 model (7 Series 55") i have this problem as you see below. I use it only on summer because of the area of the tv so i don't know from what exactly version problem started. I had 1.5.5 and i change it to 1.5.6 and but i have the problem until now. As you see I'm in direct play on all and i use it 5gh wifi with router as you see and with cat cable. I have 1gbps local network and 100/10mbps internet network. WiFi 6 Asus routers AX88U (main) and 2xAX82U (nodes) via ethernet backhaul connection. Everything it run ok on other TVs in the same network.

*My hole setup is in my signature as you see.

Any ideas or help?

IMG_0872.DNG

IMG_0876.DNG

IMG_0873.DNG

SamES

My guess is that there are too many audio and subtitle tracks. Common if these are AppleTV rips and a known problem with Samsung TVs if you have more than a total of about 25 tracks

Use MkvToolNix or fffmpeg to strip out only the video/audio/subtitle and chapter tracks that you actually need into a new file. 

• Like 1

FrostByte
55 minutes ago, FancyNerd92 said:

@SamESIf that was the problem I would have it on all my devices on the same network... but don't.

I would go ahead and test it out on one file just to be sure if indeed you have that many tracks.  This is a well documented problem with Samsung TVs and could still be the issue even though you didn't see the issue with your other TVs.

Edited by FrostByte

FrostByte

Just FYI

2023-07-09 22:01:40.356 Debug TaskManager: IntervalTrigger fired for task: Disk Space Almost Full Notification
2023-07-09 22:01:40.356 Debug TaskManager: Queueing task DiskSpaceScheduledTask
2023-07-09 22:01:40.356 Debug TaskManager: Executing Disk Space Almost Full Notification
2023-07-09 22:01:40.368 Debug TaskManager: Disk Space Almost Full Notification Completed after 0 minute(s) and 0 seconds

SamES
1 hour ago, FancyNerd92 said:

@SamESIf that was the problem I would have it on all my devices on the same network... but don't.

It's not a hard limit and the performance and number of tracks limit does vary between model years, and even models of the same year (basic vs premium).  You'll just have to test it to confirm if this is even the problem.  I think over time it may have improved in newer models, but I can't say this for certain - it is very variable as it is a performance based issue with the Samsung internal player, not a hard limit that we can manage

• Like 1

FancyNerd92
On 10/07/2023 at 00:01, FrostByte said:

Just FYI

2023-07-09 22:01:40.356 Debug TaskManager: IntervalTrigger fired for task: Disk Space Almost Full Notification
2023-07-09 22:01:40.356 Debug TaskManager: Queueing task DiskSpaceScheduledTask
2023-07-09 22:01:40.356 Debug TaskManager: Executing Disk Space Almost Full Notification
2023-07-09 22:01:40.368 Debug TaskManager: Disk Space Almost Full Notification Completed after 0 minute(s) and 0 seconds

I have 3 x 18TB Disks and 2 of them have 10gb free, I know that but it's not a problem 😁😋

FancyNerd92

I will try again with a movie or another show without too many subs and I will write again.

• 3 weeks later...
FancyNerd92

ffmpeg-transcode-2666734f-e96b-47b1-aacd-022ff190b88d_1.txtffmpeg-transcode-efd727eb-53f2-4f40-9528-06e92b28dbeb_1.txtffmpeg-transcode-2a0b2c62-509f-4815-a57c-ae6724e52be7_1.txtffmpeg-transcode-47b3e482-373f-4e26-98fa-80a44cec340c_1.txtembyserver-63826876800.txtembyserver (1).txt

Same problem with remux files 85mbps  bitrate, eac3 5.1 sound (1st placed) 3 subs only.... What happen? Is any better the Android app to buy a Google TV device? I'm tired with all this. I want my server with high bit image and sound. Any ideas?

Hi, have you tried lowering the in app quality setting to see if a reduction in bitrate helps?

SamES
40 minutes ago, FancyNerd92 said:

Same problem with remux files 85mbps  bitrate, eac3 5.1 sound (1st placed) 3 subs only.... What happen? Is any better the Android app to buy a Google TV device? I'm tired with all this. I want my server with high bit image and sound. Any ideas?

Is it only a problem with very high bitrate files?  >80mbps is pushing it (and much higher than Samsungs documented limits).  

FancyNerd92

@SamESyes the new problem is only on high bitrate movies/shows.

@Luke yes but if i have transcode i don't have many fps and it stuck again and again...

Really what can i do? I'm tired guys... with every month updates, with lags with everything. I pay a a sh*tload of money on TVs, Soundbars, Routers, Server etc and I can't have a high end home cinema.... It's really annoing. I don't want a chopped full with artifacts movie/show on my 4K TVs. Do you think with another platform as Google TV will solve these problems?

SamES
2 hours ago, FancyNerd92 said:

@SamESyes the new problem is only on high bitrate movies/shows.

@Luke yes but if i have transcode i don't have many fps and it stuck again and again...

Really what can i do? I'm tired guys... with every month updates, with lags with everything. I pay a a sh*tload of money on TVs, Soundbars, Routers, Server etc and I can't have a high end home cinema.... It's really annoing. I don't want a chopped full with artifacts movie/show on my 4K TVs. Do you think with another platform as Google TV will solve these problems?

Just be aware that with >80mbps, you're stretching the limits.  When I say this, I'm assuming lower bitrate files work fine.  If this is not the case, then let me know.  I just want to be clear that we are solving one issue at a time.

In your video in the first post, the video artifacts that I see are caused when there are too many subs or audio tracks.  You have reduced these but as you are now using testing with a high bitrate file, do you see the same or different video issues?  I suspect it is different.

Can you get a playback scenario with Asterix where this is DirectPlaying?  You will need to remove any bitrate limits to test this.  Does that work OK?  I'm trying to determine if it is only in transcode scenarios where this is an issue.

FancyNerd92

All my files are on the Highest Bitrate you can find. I don't have the same problem with all media with the same amount of subs. For example all other Netflix show that i have they have same amount of subs with Witcher but they play normal. Same on Apple TV sereis for example Foundation S02 and Silo have the same problem (with Wicher) but not all Apple TV shows Black Bird, Slow Horses, Ted Lasso etc they have not any problem and plays normal.

Asterix and Obelix is Direct playing and i have these issues. I think don't have any bitrate limit, i have full settings on auto (4K 140mbps). I ask with what way can have smooth play on these high bitrate files except Samsung. On what platform Emby plays smoothly these files? Can you answer me Google TV solve this problems? Do i need better hardware on server for better transcode for ex. RTX 3060 Ti (I have GTX 1070 OC 8GB) more RAM for ex. 64 (i have 16GB). Transcode it happening on TVs' CPU or on my Server? Give me a feedback how can play high bit files.

Thanks!

SamES

There is no easy answer to your issue.  DirectPlay is the right answer of you want the best quality (which I'm assuming is the case since you are choosing such high bitrate files).  If you are transcoding then you might as well get slightly lower bitrate files and DirectPlay.

Again, the files you are trying to play are on the limit or exceed Samsungs documented limits for your model.  The TV's cpu, network interface and overall TV performance will limit what you can play, and it will differ by model and year of TV.  Your server, disks, router and network will have an impact as they are adding latency and delays into the whole process, and at some point this will exceed the TV's ability to cope.  The higher the bitrate, the higher the demand and the closer you get to exceeding the limitation of your specific TV model.

If you are DirectPlay then the graphics card has no impact, but server CPU, disk speeds, network adapters, bandwidth, OS, other server activity, routers, networks, switches, wireless interference and many other components will impact the final outcome.  I moved to Linux which for me improved performance compared to Windows, but I can't say whether that will improve yours.  Overall performance is an aggregate of all these things.

I can say with some certainty that for most AppleTV rips they will have a high number of sub and /or audio tracks and you will need to strip them out for Samsung TV's.  This may or may not fix your issues every time, but you can only try for each.  I believe Samsung may have resolved this on 2019 and newer TV's, but not 2018 models

Unfortunately there is no single quick fix answer that will help other than being aware that the more you push the limits, the more you will need to fine tune everything, and be prepared that sometimes you will hit the limit - it is unavoidable.

With all that said, if we stick to one specifc example, can you please provide a video showing the issue you are experiencing with Asterix while it is DirectPlaying.  Please also attach the full media info and server log (with debug enabled) for that same test.

Can you please also explain the connection from your server to the TV - ie: what routers and switches are between them, which sections are wireless vs wired and the distance between wireless components?

FancyNerd92

Here I am, i have my full specs of my server and the video of direct play also my server logs.

Screenshot2023-08-14032543.png.c8d3ad16761ab00c7158d86a6d6ba455.png

Screenshot2023-08-14032610.png.ae1d2713750217dd51f52087841f6fe8.png

Screenshot2023-08-14032622.png.5f2a9086c6c88838ce834c87fbe3078c.png

Screenshot2023-08-14032641.png.fb845a841dfa7d77c2d8d6d45b1d8a0f.png

embyserver (2).txt

Here my main router RT-AX88U - https://www.asus.com/networking-iot-servers/wifi-routers/asus-gaming-routers/rt-ax88u/techspec/

and my nodes on my (aimesh network) RT-AX82U - https://www.asus.com/networking-iot-servers/wifi-routers/asus-gaming-routers/rt-ax82u/techspec/

CAT 6A Network Cable connected. 1GB local and i have my tvs on wifi 5Ghz and not on ethernet (becvause of 100mbps connection of Samsung eth connector)

My TVs:

Q80A 75'' -2021 model https://www.samsung.com/us/televisions-home-theater/tvs/qled-4k-tvs/75-q80a-qled-4k-smart-tv-2021-qn75q80aafxza/

Q60A 43'' - 2021 model https://www.samsung.com/gr/tvs/qled-tv/q60a-43-inch-qled-4k-smart-tv-qe43q60aauxxh/

Q60T 43'' - 2019 model https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/QE43Q60RATXXU/

7 Series 55'' - 2018 model https://www.samsung.com/hk_en/support/model/UA55NU7100JXZK/

Screenshot2023-08-14034541.thumb.png.dabfc7c7578736b8452efab02511b6c7.png

------

I hope to give all the right stuff. I want to know what it's going wrong and I will fix it. Need something to change? Need update ffmpeg directly somehow? Do I need an RTX 3060? (maybe i have old version...) I don't know what else can i think... Because i have problem even with transcoding. I'm getting the worst lag... and no subs even srt (with no more than 3 at total)...

Edited by FancyNerd92

19 minutes ago, FancyNerd92 said:

Here I am, i have my full specs of my server and the video of direct play also my server logs.

Screenshot2023-08-14032543.png.c8d3ad16761ab00c7158d86a6d6ba455.png

Screenshot2023-08-14032610.png.ae1d2713750217dd51f52087841f6fe8.png

Screenshot2023-08-14032622.png.5f2a9086c6c88838ce834c87fbe3078c.png

Screenshot2023-08-14032641.png.fb845a841dfa7d77c2d8d6d45b1d8a0f.png

embyserver (2).txt 2.13 MB · 0 downloads

Here my main router RT-AX88U - https://www.asus.com/networking-iot-servers/wifi-routers/asus-gaming-routers/rt-ax88u/techspec/

and my nodes on my (aimesh network) RT-AX82U - https://www.asus.com/networking-iot-servers/wifi-routers/asus-gaming-routers/rt-ax82u/techspec/

CAT 6A Network Cable connected. 1GB local and i have my tvs on wifi 5Ghz and not on ethernet (becvause of 100mbps connection of Samsung eth connector)

My TVs:

Q80A 75'' -2021 model https://www.samsung.com/us/televisions-home-theater/tvs/qled-4k-tvs/75-q80a-qled-4k-smart-tv-2021-qn75q80aafxza/

Q60A 43'' - 2021 model https://www.samsung.com/gr/tvs/qled-tv/q60a-43-inch-qled-4k-smart-tv-qe43q60aauxxh/

Q60T 43'' - 2019 model https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/QE43Q60RATXXU/

7 Series 55'' - 2018 model https://www.samsung.com/hk_en/support/model/UA55NU7100JXZK/

Screenshot2023-08-14034541.thumb.png.dabfc7c7578736b8452efab02511b6c7.png

------

I hope to give all the right stuff. I want to know what it's going wrong and I will fix it. Need something to change? Need update ffmpeg directly somehow? Do I need an RTX 3060? (maybe i have old version...) I don't know what else can i think... Because i have problem even with transcoding. I'm getting the worst lag... and no subs even srt (with no more than 3 at total)...

Hi, please supply the corresponding ffmpeg log as well. Thanks.

SamES

Thanks, just remember if your issues are during DirectPlay then the graphics card and transcoding settings won’t be having any impact.

FancyNerd92
SamES
49 minutes ago, FancyNerd92 said:

Sure, but let's try and fix one thing at a time, otherwise it's too confusing.

The most basic is DirectPlay with no subtitles (and this means no DTS or TrueHD/ATMOS track).  If we cannot make that play smoothly then we haven't fixed your core problem.  When that plays smoothly, then we can introduce subs, transcoding etc.

In your early video you show a wifi router next to the TV.  Is that what the TV is connecting to receive its signal?  Keep in mind that being too close to the router is also an issue for Wifi.

For a test, can you try a completely wired connection between server, routers and TV - ie: no wifi?  This will confirm whether wifi is an issue or something else.  I know you are concerned about LAN port speed, but my 2017 Samsung TV is connected to a wifi access point via its 100Mb LAN port (ie: router wifi -> wifi access point -> TV LAN port). I have no problem playing this file at 90mbps (I don't even have a graphics card in my server, and no on chip GPU)

image.png.deb78127a37421aa9047faf5d6488aa9.png

Edited by SamES
  • Like 1

FancyNerd92

You're right it plays (in 75'' tv) 3:30 mins without any lag in DP and when it was lag i pause it and play again and it was ok until 5 mins. So 100mbps Ethernet is better than 6000 5ghz wifi?? How can have a play without any lag? Can i press pause and leave it to "loading" for some minutes? 

Edited by FancyNerd92

SamES
Just now, FancyNerd92 said:

You're right it plays 3:30 mins without any lag in DP and when it was lag i pause it and play again and it was ok until 5 mins.

I've seen that on occasions.  If the server loads up or the disks or router gets busy then this can happen. If I'm playing more than 70-75mbps then I know this can happen maybe once or twice in a movie - pause for 30 seconds then continue playback fixes this.  When my server was on windows I would see this more often, but I rarely see it now on linux (same hardware, but I t was an old windows install so it probably needed a good clean out which might have helped it)

As I said previously, constant streaming at >80mbps will push the TV.  It doesn't have a very big buffer so it's not very tolerant of any disruption.

You should be able to get good speeds through wifi - maybe try putting the wifi router further away from the TV.  Are all the wifi routers transmitting on different channels?  Make sure the channels are far apart (ie: I use 48 and 153 for my two wifi access points) otherwise they will also interfere with each other.