Drive Pool Advice

Spaceboy
Go to solution Solved by rbjtech,

Spaceboy

Hi, I'm looking for some advice on the configuration to Stablebit Drive Pool - hopefully either someone that has the same setup or someone that better understands the Drive Pool config options than i do.

I have DP set up with an SSD that should be used as the initial "landing zone" for files as they hit the pool. The landing zone is required to be cleared regularly to the archive disks to ensure space continues to be available. I have the SSD Optimizer plugin installed which is supposed to control this. ive so far only been able to achieve settings where 1) the landing zone is not cleared quickly enough and the archive disks end up being used for unzipping or validating files which can be 10x slower; or 2) the landing zone gets cleared so aggresively that files that are being unzipped or validated get broken. sabnzbd btw.

setting 1 was the default SSD Optimiser settings 2) was following the one post i found on all of google which talked about clearing the landing zone immediately. this works with no issue on Drive Bender but i thought i'd try DP on a PC i built a couple of years ago and i've never had this working right.

yes i could post on the DP forums but it seemed i may have a bigger crossover of similar use cases here.

cheers

• Solution
rbjtech

So I run the 'All In One' Plugin instead - which I believe combines the SSD Optimizer and the other Balancers - this may resolved your problem - as I don't have any issues.   I only Balance every day @ 02:00 - so I'm not 100% sure how this would behave if you did it immediately.

image.png.302b164e8cd8857b8e792dd4eb0d79c2.png

• Thanks 1

Spaceboy
13 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

So I run the 'All In One' Plugin instead - which I believe combines the SSD Optimizer and the other Balancers - this may resolved your problem - as I don't have any issues.   I only Balance every day @ 02:00 - so I'm not 100% sure how this would behave if you did it immediately.

image.png.302b164e8cd8857b8e792dd4eb0d79c2.png

cheers, i will take a look. i don't need it doing immediately, i have a 1tb nvme drive as the landing zone. with Drive Bender i could set an option of clear at X time and when it reaches Y% full

rbjtech
3 minutes ago, Spaceboy said:

cheers, i will take a look. i don't need it doing immediately, i have a 1tb nvme drive as the landing zone. with Drive Bender i could set an option of clear at X time and when it reaches Y% full

You might be able to get what you want with the main Balancer options (time based) and the Plugin has some options too wrt % full (see below) -

image.png.233c2cf5b78c98c3e027f4a3683f9a1e.png

Spaceboy

yep cheers, see that. well set up - lets see how it develops over the next few days 👍

Spaceboy

seems fine so far, but another question. any idea where these balancing targets come from, because i can't see any settings and they just seem odd to me. would expect them to be the same % of the disk size but as you can see they are all over the place. k: being my landing zone so that one should be zero

image.thumb.png.d883ba2b5686e368276b0d73e88bc5d7.png

rbjtech

I think it's related to the Balacing method - set it to Equalize by the free space remaining - and it should set the target to the max % of each disk that you set.

I think you want 'free space remaining' ?

I want to fill each disk and then move onto the next, as that is how I do my backup strategy (so the 'new' files all get stored onto a single disk).

image.png.00e3ec5885815a622948d8293a555b4b.png

Edited by rbjtech

Spaceboy
8 hours ago, rbjtech said:

I think it's related to the Balacing method - set it to Equalize by the free space remaining - and it should set the target to the max % of each disk that you set.

I think you want 'free space remaining' ?

I want to fill each disk and then move onto the next, as that is how I do my backup strategy (so the 'new' files all get stored onto a single disk).

image.png.00e3ec5885815a622948d8293a555b4b.png

yeah thats what i thought and thats what setting i had it on. there's something very wrong with the calculations though, Disk 5 is targetting -85Gb (yes that is a negative 🤪). yours makes sense with that backup approach. i'm going to stick with by %used and may report this to DP at some point.

• Like 1