LG App 1.0.39 - Dolby Vision and playback issues

CtrlD_Predator

CtrlD_Predator

I just updated my Emby app on my LG B9 to 1.0.39 as my tv told me there was an update available.

Since the update, I can't get dolby vision playback on any of my content, and the frame rate isn't smooth, with occasional pauses.

This content worked fine on the previous version (yet I don't know what previous version I was on)

Has there been a change with 1.0.39 that might cause these issues?

SamES

Can you please post media info, server and ffmpeg logs?  Thanks

ErebZx

Similar issue on my LG C2 after 1.0.39 update. Some dolby vision files play like before, but some start transcoding. Is there a way to downgrade to a previous version?
Also there is some weird flashing in the background of the settings menu.

SamES
5 hours ago, ErebZx said:

Similar issue on my LG C2 after 1.0.39 update. Some dolby vision files play like before, but some start transcoding. Is there a way to downgrade to a previous version?
Also there is some weird flashing in the background of the settings menu.

No, there isn't.  Can you give us a specific example so that we can help to resolve this?

ErebZx

I can try, but I'm not sure I understand how to share logs.

I played Mario Bros mp4 DV profile 5 and Valerian m2ts DV profile 8 which falls back to HDR10.

And lastly, a photo of the menu with flashing from the movie posters behind (a lot of fun to see on an oled screen 😅).

Hope this helps, If you need some more I'll try my best to provide, but I need some guidance.

IMG_9947.jpg

IMG_9948.jpg

IMG_9944.jpg

mediainfo-Mario.txt mediainfo-Valerian.txt ffmpeg-directstream-2c8aa851-83b6-42a0-9f84-16855e63e99d_1.txt ffmpeg-directstream-09971912-75de-4217-80d8-8fd4439ced63_1.txt

SamES

I'm not an expert in DV, @rbjtechcan probably add to this, but what I believe is true:

• DV will only work via DirectPlay - not DirectStream or Transcode
    • This means avoid any streams that are unsupported by the TV - TrueHD/ATMOS, DTS, PGSSUBS, etc
  • I think MP4 is the only supported container format for DV
    • Valerian is .m2ts, so that will cause a remux and DirectStream
  • There's quite a mix of DV profiles, and not all are supported
    • Just because it's DV, doesn't mean that it is possible to play it

A good test is to try the file on a portable USB drive connected directly to the TV and try playing the file with the TV's internal player.  If that doesn't work, then it is probably not supported.  If it does play, then it is possibly supported with Emby - provided you select the correct track conditions to ensure DIrectPlay - an AC3 track and no subs is a good starting point for your tests

ErebZx

Both files opened fine with previous version of the app. This is the case with half of my library after 1.0.39 update, I just provided 2 examples of 2 different profiles and containers. Both mp4 and m2ts(with pgs subs disabled) are supported by tv. Audio is not an issue in this instance (check photos of the screen and mediainfo). I switched to plex for the time being and all the DV files play normally, like they did with emby before update. 

• Agree 1

SamES

By any chance, would you still have any server logs from the previous version with a playback of a movie that doesn't play now?

CtrlD_Predator

I will attach my logs later tonight if I get time, but I don't have any from before the app update.

I am aware of the container issue with DV on LG tv's and that isn't the issue here. What I am trying to play are in MP4 containers and worked fine before the update and also currently work when played from a USB directly on the TV.

SamES
1 hour ago, CtrlD_Predator said:

I will attach my logs later tonight if I get time, but I don't have any from before the app update.

I am aware of the container issue with DV on LG tv's and that isn't the issue here. What I am trying to play are in MP4 containers and worked fine before the update and also currently work when played from a USB directly on the TV.

Thanks.  Can you please attach or PM the server log for a test with these two files?  Please enable debug logging before doing a test.

v8088zj
Mine is the same problem, DV used to play normally, 1.0.39 can not play DV

Mine is also the same problem, the previous DV normal playback, 1.0.39 can not play DV

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, v8088zj said:
Mine is the same problem, DV used to play normally, 1.0.39 can not play DV

Mine is also the same problem, the previous DV normal playback, 1.0.39 can not play DV

@v8088zj

Hi there, let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks!

21 hours ago, ErebZx said:

I can try, but I'm not sure I understand how to share logs.

I played Mario Bros mp4 DV profile 5 and Valerian m2ts DV profile 8 which falls back to HDR10.

And lastly, a photo of the menu with flashing from the movie posters behind (a lot of fun to see on an oled screen 😅).

Hope this helps, If you need some more I'll try my best to provide, but I need some guidance.

IMG_9947.jpg

IMG_9948.jpg

IMG_9944.jpg

mediainfo-Mario.txt 6.61 kB · 2 downloads mediainfo-Valerian.txt 3.72 kB · 1 download ffmpeg-directstream-2c8aa851-83b6-42a0-9f84-16855e63e99d_1.txt 90.42 kB · 3 downloads ffmpeg-directstream-09971912-75de-4217-80d8-8fd4439ced63_1.txt 55.98 kB · 2 downloads

Hi, can you try refreshing the metadata on your Valierian movie and see if that changes anything for that title? Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
daschmee12

I have similar issues...

1. LG C1 Emby App doesn't seem to recognize DV Low Latency files(Don't know which DV profile is used in the files...[I think block 5 Dolby Vision]..but as of late, it seems like more and more titles are using low latency Dolby Vision profiles). I Have to switch to Emby app on Chromecast with Google TV to watch affected titles.

2. I have to switch the Chromecast Dolby Vision type to Low Latency, instead of Standard, for the affected files, as they won't play as Dolby Vision streams in Emby app on CCWGTV unless Chromecast is set to Dolby Vision Low Latency mode.

3. Often times the LG TV Emby app plays the affected Dolby Vision files in standard HDR 10 instead of DV, as I suspect the app isn't recognizing the DV low latency profiles on certain titles/streams. If I didn't also have a Chromecast or other streaming device/stick/box that allows you to manually enable Low Latency Dolby Vision(LLDV), I wouldn't have a way to work around this issue. Really just wanted to report similar behavior encountered on my LG TV as well, using both the LG TV Emby app and CCWGTV Emby app. Different titles appear to require different DV settings(Standard vs Low Latency)  to play properly on Chromecast Emby app. Standard HDR10 titles also seem to be affected. I tried playing an HDR10(Not HLG) TV show the other night, and even though Chromecast was set to 'Standard Dolby Vision---> Match Content' it didn't fallback to standard HDR10 like it's supposed to & used to do, on Emby Chromecast(CCWGTV) app. Either have to set CCWGTV to Dolby Vision Low Latency mode to watch HDR10 titles OR Switch to HDR only mode. 

Long story short, Even though you shouldn't have to do this in order to play titles in Dolby Vision, you should be able to work around this issue, and get titles to play properly, as long as you have a separate streaming device like a Chromecast, Fire Stick, AppleTV, Shield, etc, that lets you set the Dolby Vision type to Low Latency(AKA:Player Led Dolby Vision), instead of Standard DV. I don't believe LG TVs let you do this as they use Display led Dolby vision instead of Low Latency Dolby Vision (player led)...the latter of which(low latency/player led is inferior). 

daschmee12
6 minutes ago, daschmee12 said:

I have similar issues...

1. LG C1 Emby App doesn't seem to recognize DV Low Latency files(Don't know which DV profile is used in the files...[I think block 5 Dolby Vision]..but as of late, it seems like more and more titles are using low latency Dolby Vision profiles). I Have to switch to Emby app on Chromecast with Google TV to watch affected titles.

2. I have to switch the Chromecast Dolby Vision type to Low Latency, instead of Standard, for the affected files, as they won't play as Dolby Vision streams in Emby app on CCWGTV unless Chromecast is set to Dolby Vision Low Latency mode.

3. Often times the LG TV Emby app plays the affected Dolby Vision files in standard HDR 10 instead of DV, as I suspect the app isn't recognizing the DV low latency profiles on certain titles/streams. If I didn't also have a Chromecast or other streaming device/stick/box that allows you to manually enable Low Latency Dolby Vision(LLDV), I wouldn't have a way to work around this issue. Really just wanted to report similar behavior encountered on my LG TV as well, using both the LG TV Emby app and CCWGTV Emby app. Different titles appear to require different DV settings(Standard vs Low Latency)  to play properly on Chromecast Emby app. Standard HDR10 titles also seem to be affected. I tried playing an HDR10(Not HLG) TV show the other night, and even though Chromecast was set to 'Standard Dolby Vision---> Match Content' it didn't fallback to standard HDR10 like it's supposed to & used to do, on Emby Chromecast(CCWGTV) app. Either have to set CCWGTV to Dolby Vision Low Latency mode to watch HDR10 titles OR Switch to HDR only mode. 

Long story short, Even though you shouldn't have to do this in order to play titles in Dolby Vision, you should be able to work around this issue, and get titles to play properly, as long as you have a separate streaming device like a Chromecast, Fire Stick, AppleTV, Shield, etc, that lets you set the Dolby Vision type to Low Latency(AKA:Player Led Dolby Vision), instead of Standard DV. I don't believe LG TVs let you do this as they use Display led Dolby vision instead of Low Latency Dolby Vision (player led)...the latter of which(low latency/player led) is inferior...

But I guess it will have to do for now

Hi, what exactly do you mean by not recognize?

SamES
9 hours ago, daschmee12 said:

Long story short, Even though you shouldn't have to do this in order to play titles in Dolby Vision, you should be able to work around this issue, and get titles to play properly, as long as you have a separate streaming device like a Chromecast, Fire Stick, AppleTV, Shield, etc, that lets you set the Dolby Vision type to Low Latency(AKA:Player Led Dolby Vision), instead of Standard DV. I don't believe LG TVs let you do this as they use Display led Dolby vision instead of Low Latency Dolby Vision (player led)...the latter of which(low latency/player led is inferior). 

As a test, temporarily change these user settings on the server and try playback again.  If DV still does not work then it is a TV/compatibility issue, not an Emby issue

image.thumb.png.3e4345ab6c0f70fcc9703248745937b2.png

ErebZx

Unchecking allow changing of container formats solved the issue with Valerian and Mario I had in Post. Other two were already unchecked. And the rest of the library plays fine now too, all the DV files, just like before the update. 

SamES
2 hours ago, ErebZx said:

Unchecking allow changing of container formats solved the issue with Valerian and Mario I had in Post. Other two were already unchecked. And the rest of the library plays fine now too, all the DV files, just like before the update. 

OK, then we need to understand why DV is not working in the original container

SamES
2 hours ago, ErebZx said:

What were the container formats of the files you tested with this?

• 1 month later...