Video won't play on one Shield

justinrh

justinrh

I have two Shields.  A movie I recorded from TV won't play on one of them, just get a spinner when I press play.  On the other Shield, the movie starts immediately, like is typical for either Shield.

I sent app logs at 8:23pm ET, 7-4-2023, user = home

I tried again today, and attached the server log for it.embyserver.txt

Please don't ask for me to test on the std app.

What, exactly, happens?  In your app log I don't see any errors.  I just see you exiting playback before the item starts (it is loading).

justinrh

I said all I get is a spinner.  I invoke Play, and immediately get a black screen with a spinner.

Edited by justinrh

justinrh

Update

If I have the Shield's "Night listening mode" on, the video does not play, if I have it off, the video does play.  Why does this mode prevent the video from playing?

Now, I have a second movie I recorded off of TV.  With night mode on, it plays fine, with night mode off it does not play audio!

Both videos have AC3 5.1 audio.  I have the Shield plugged into my 5.1 soundbar.

How am I supposed to enjoy Emby when I have to jack around with the audio settings every video?

-----
Good grief.  I tried on an old build of the std app and both videos play with either setting on.  I didn't check the output specs, but at least they play.

Edited by justinrh

rbjtech

The Night listening mode is post processing audio from the Shield - it should have zero impact on what emby plays or not.

If it's not playing, then it's not because of this mode.

justinrh
38 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

All I have to do is toggle this mode and it plays or doesn't play.  I don't see how it is not because of this mode.  Maybe it is in combination with another setting, but this mode definitely affects it.

• Thanks 1

rbjtech
4 minutes ago, justinrh said:

All I have to do is toggle this mode and it plays or doesn't play.  I don't see how it is not because of this mode.  Maybe it is in combination with another setting, but this mode definitely affects it.

Really ?  ok - I stand corrected.

I shall have to try it and see what it breaks ! 🤣

justinrh

I'd be glad to share the files.  I don't know why some files play okay and some have odd/unpredictable issues, when they are all AC3 5.1.

3 hours ago, rbjtech said:

The Night listening mode is post processing audio from the Shield - it should have zero impact on what emby plays or not.

It may change the capabilities it reports to the app - which would affect playback decisions.  Honestly, I've never tested it so I will.