Still puzzled by music metadata

wordlover

wordlover

I am still confused how to fix Emby's retrieval of extended metadata, which often messes up sorting. I could not figure out why title sort (1st & 2nd images below) wasn't working right until I looked at Emby's own "Edit Metadata" screen (3rd image) and saw a mysterious entry for Sort Title. I opened the files in MP3Tag, and that title doesn't exist in any of the logical fields (4th image). So my questions:

1. Am I correct that Emby is grabbing this "sort title" from Discogs on import when the file's own "sort title" field is empty?

2. If so, when there's already a "Title" field, shouldn't/couldn't Emby default to use the existing Title field for the Sort Title field?

3. Regardless, what's the correct "%[fieldname]%" to view or create (5th image) to manually fix this?

4. And most important, why is Title sorting still incorrect even after I corrected the Sort Title in Emby's own "Edit Metadata" screen (6th & 7th images below) and rescanned the whole Music library? 

emby00b.png

emby00.png

emby02.png

emby01.png

emby04.png

emby05.png

emby06.png

emby07.png

Hi, the 4.7 server doesn’t grab embedded sort titles so I don’t think it’s anything related to your files. 

it’s probably discogs based on that being the common factor with other similar reports of this.

wordlover

So:

1. Will 4.8 properly use our metadata for sort title?

2. Why doesn't Emby server reflect when there is a manual edit to Sort Title within Emby itself?

3. I won't ask when 4.8 will drop. 😄

wordlover

Manual changes are reflected now, but then when I looked at a different situation things are bizarrely out of order - see below. I checked each album's metadata individually. Both Title (as displayed in this overview screen) and the Sort Title (as checked in Emby's album metadata popup screen) are correct, but you'll see the ordering below is... inexplicable. Why would two albums titled "The Art of the Fugue" sort in two entirely different places? 

emby10.thumb.png.a2a1acf9f6cded81faa10762205e1368.png

Edited by wordlover

wordlover

ARGH! @Luke- Emby keeps overwriting Sort Title even when I manually tag files with Title AND Sort Title and then rescan the library. See below. 

What's the correct "%[fieldname]%" to use in MP3Tag that Emby will read and correctly use as "Sort Title" instead of grabbing incorrect info from Discogs?

emby12.png

emby13.png

emby14.png

wordlover

Please, what's the correct "%[fieldname]%" to use in MP3Tag that Emby will read and correctly use as "Sort Title."

18 hours ago, wordlover said:

Please, what's the correct "%[fieldname]%" to use in MP3Tag that Emby will read and correctly use as "Sort Title."

In 4.7 there isn't one. In the upcoming 4.8 release, the sort_with tag is now supported to set the sort order of the individual track (not the album).

I think I do have a theory on this issue though, which is that although the server does not import the title from discogs, it might be getting the sort title. So I've put in a change to resolve that.

• Thanks 1