Problems switching between live recordings

Noel-M

Noel-M

I am a long time emby user, since WMC and MediaBrowser.  I am impressed with the product and with the development process.  Most problems I have experienced have either been fixed or explained.  My Emby server is a PC (i7) with lots of RAM and SSD's.  It runs a Hauppauge Quad Tuner card.  I can record 4 TV programs simultaneously and replay one of them at the same time flawlessly.  My (main) client is Android TV.   

Here's my problem.  At this time of the year there are lots of sporting events that are both long and concurrent.  Wimbledon, Test Cricket, Tour de France - each of which run for hours (3 - 6 hours).  In the distant past I could record them using WMC and switch seamlessly between the recordings.  Each time I swithched, the playback would resume from the point that I last left it.  I could skip forward and back and jump the boring bits and ads.

In theory Emby allows me to do this, and all is well at the start of the recording.  However, if I attempt to switch when the Emby button says "Resume from 2:03:00" then the playback is delayed for a long time  -  maybe 10 minutes or more.

I presume that Emby is transcoding from the start of the program to skip over the 2 hours of content.

My question - Is this a known issue?  Is there a setting that I don't know about in Emby Server,  Emby Client or the Hauppauge back end ?

maegibbons

I agree with all of this and suffer exactly the same experience.

I too believe the delay is caused by transcoding from the beginning.  Not sure why it has to do this because ffmpeg can take a start parameter.

Krs

Mark

MBSki

It's definitely a known issue. I reported the same issue during the Super Bowl. The only way that I could get back to the resume point was to hold down the skip button until I got back to the resume point. I had to do the same thing to skip ads, which always started me back at the beginning of the recording.

5 hours ago, maegibbons said:

Not sure why it has to do this because ffmpeg can take a start parameter

Yes, if you're dealing with a complete file.  This is a lot trickier because you are dealing with a file that is still being recorded - therefore, there is no index etc.  WMC was designed exactly for this purpose and had the advantage of only needing to work on exactly one platform.  We will hopefully get to the same level but are not quite there yet.