Emby Live TV wil not record 2 channels simultaneously

jordy
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

jordy

Hi,

Recently, (don't know exactly when) Live TV will not record 2 channels simultaneously. It does not matter whether they are Scheduled or Manually started.

The first channel records just fine but the second channel does not start, ever, even after the 1st recording stops.

LiveTV provides a dialogue confirming  that the second channel has been scheduled and the red recording dot appears in the guide. It also shows up in the Scheduled page as being recorded. It just never actually starts recording.

Also, If I am recording one channel and try to watch a second channel, I get a "Playback error, no compatible streams..." msg. If I Stop the 1st channel recording, then the 2nd channel plays - and records just fine.

I have tested my Hauppage USB Twin Tuner using its own software (WinTV 10.0.39009 with extend) and I can record one channel and watch or record a second channel simultaneously. It therefore appears that Emby LiveTV is having an issue.

Log attached.

thanks  Jordy

embyserver(2).txt hardware_detection-63823998082.txt

Hi.  Did you set the simultaneous stream limit for the tuner?

WinTV-dualHD simultaneous stream limit has been reached.

jordy
11 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Did you set the simultaneous stream limit for the tuner?

WinTV-dualHD simultaneous stream limit has been reached.

Not that I'm aware of. But I will check - where to look?

Update:

I cannot find any such setting, either in Emby or WinTV. Can you tell me where to find this setting please.

thanks Jordy

Edited by jordy
more info

jordy

OK, I found it in Network and User settings and both are set to "Unlimited"

Any other suggestions?

jordy

EDIT: I just checked my other user settings, my wife's account was set to 1 stream, my admin account was set to umlimited.

EDIT 2: I changed my wife's stream setting to unlimited but it's still only recording 1 channel at a time.

Jordy

Edited by jordy

jordy

Some screen shots...

1:      "McGuyver" is the 2nd recording I started immediately after "Air Crash Investigations" Note that is says "Do Not record" instead of "Stop Recording". MacGuyver  also shows up in the scheduled tab with todays date.

2:      The guide shows that 2 shows should be recording

3:      Recording Folder showing only the Air Crash Investigations is being captured.

Jordy

Screenshot 2023-07-04 150631.jpg

Screenshot 2023-07-04 150529.jpg

Screenshot 2023-07-04 150444.jpg

Screenshot 2023-07-04 151314.jpg

8 hours ago, jordy said:

OK, I found it in Network and User settings

Hi.  Instead go to the Live TV setup and click on the tuner...

jordy
38 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Instead go to the Live TV setup and click on the tuner...

All I get from that is the "Select devices" dialogue.

Click "Detect Devices" and it says "No New devices..." Am I  missing something? Do I need to re add the tuner?

Screenshot 2023-07-04 234910.jpg

Hmm... I'm not sure.  With some tuner types there is a simultaneous stream limit setting there.

We'll need @Luketo chime in on what may be going on here.

jordy
1 hour ago, ebr said:

Hmm... I'm not sure.  With some tuner types there is a simultaneous stream limit setting there.

We'll need @Luketo chime in on what may be going on here.

Tried deleting and re-adding the tuner - made no difference. I have noticed that when I try to edit the tuner, a different dialogue (from the one I posted) shows very briefly - about 0.5 secs that definitely has different choices. It's gone too fast for me to read it though.

jordy

@ebr@Luke

Any chance of a response on this - even just an acknowledgement that there is an issue or suggestions on how to resolve it?

Hi.  Luke is very busy with a lot of very broad issues right now.  This is a fairly narrow one so just hasn't gotten attention yet.  Thanks.

jordy
1 hour ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Luke is very busy with a lot of very broad issues right now.  This is a fairly narrow one so just hasn't gotten attention yet.  Thanks.

If that's the case, I can understand and accept being at the bottom of the queue so to speak, but, it doesn't take more that a few seconds to reply and say "I hear you and will look at it asap" or something of that nature. Totally ignoring me is not a very good look.

Jordy

Can you try this on the command line: (with nothing active on the tuner).

from directory:

C:\Users\jordy\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system
HauppaugeWindowsProvider.exe "GetChannelStream" "1" "5" "stream1"

Then leave that command prompt window open, and you should see the stream buffer file start building in the hauppauge wintv data directory. Then while that is still running, open a second command prompt window, and do the same for another channel:

HauppaugeWindowsProvider.exe "GetChannelStream" "1" "64" "stream2"

Does that succeed?

jordy
On 7/13/2023 at 3:15 PM, Luke said:

Can you try this on the command line: (with nothing active on the tuner).

from directory:

C:\Users\jordy\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system
HauppaugeWindowsProvider.exe "GetChannelStream" "1" "5" "stream1"

Then leave that command prompt window open, and you should see the stream buffer file start building in the hauppauge wintv data directory. Then while that is still running, open a second command prompt window, and do the same for another channel:

HauppaugeWindowsProvider.exe "GetChannelStream" "1" "64" "stream2"

Does that succeed?

Yes It does.

Screenshot 2023-07-15 124841.jpg

Screenshot 2023-07-15 125107.jpg

Edited by jordy
Added 2nd screenshot

OK please do it again but add a third one:

HauppaugeWindowsProvider.exe "GetChannelStream" "1" "180" "stream3"

Since your tuner can only support two at a time, does this error, or does it cause one of the first two to get kicked off?

jordy
12 minutes ago, Luke said:

OK please do it again but add a third one:

HauppaugeWindowsProvider.exe "GetChannelStream" "1" "180" "stream3"

Since your tuner can only support two at a time, does this error, or does it cause one of the first two to get kicked off?

It errors out, the 1st two continue to record in the pause buffer

Screenshot 2023-07-15 134641.jpg

• Thanks 1

Junglejim

This is strange, I've never nun into this issue running a Hauppage dual tuner in Linux with tvheadend.

I don't record much these days or watch OTA TV.. (AU TV is total rubbish). :) but still there is some driver/hardware issue going on there!

I have a TV-HVR-2210, old school but still works. ;)

My recommendation.. Don't use Emby to record your OTA shows!

Edited by Junglejim

jordy
6 hours ago, Junglejim said:

This is strange, I've never nun into this issue running a Hauppage dual tuner in Linux with tvheadend.

I don't record much these days or watch OTA TV.. (AU TV is total rubbish). :) but still there is some driver/hardware issue going on there!

I have a TV-HVR-2210, old school but still works. ;)

My recommendation.. Don't use Emby to record your OTA shows!

It was working just fine, never had a problem, until a recent beta update buggered it up - not sure which one. it no longer records 2 shows simultaneously. It's Not a Hardware issue but in Emby Live TV software.

Anyhow, looks like Luke is on the job now and I expect (hope) it'll be back to normal shortly. And I do agree, AU Commercial TV is absolute shit and I don't watch it either (thank god for Netflix and other sources etc :) ) but I do like my AFL... and I like to keep a library of good games.

Normally, its not a problem to record the AFL unless Ch7 split the game around the 6pm news - starting on 7HD and ending on 7MATEHD, then it doesn't record the 7MATE part because I have it set to record a 5min buffer before and 10min after each game (a legacy requirement from when their scheduling was all over the place) and this causes a conflict because 7HD still records 10 mins of the News and not being able to simultaneously record stops the 7Mate portion from recording... Pisses me off no end.

Edited by jordy
  • Agree 1

Junglejim
8 hours ago, jordy said:

It was working just fine, never had a problem, until a recent beta update buggered it up - not sure which one. it no longer records 2 shows simultaneously. It's Not a Hardware issue but in Emby Live TV software.

Anyhow, looks like Luke is on the job now and I expect (hope) it'll be back to normal shortly. And I do agree, AU Commercial TV is absolute shit and I don't watch it either (thank god for Netflix and other sources etc :) ) but I do like my AFL... and I like to keep a library of good games.

Normally, its not a problem to record the AFL unless Ch7 split the game around the 6pm news - starting on 7HD and ending on 7MATEHD, then it doesn't record the 7MATE part because I have it set to record a 5min buffer before and 10min after each game (a legacy requirement from when their scheduling was all over the place) and this causes a conflict because 7HD still records 10 mins of the News and not being able to simultaneously record stops the 7Mate portion from recording... Pisses me off no end.

Yep AFL and sport in general are the only thing I watch/record. Hopefully they get the emby livetv sorted for you! Personally I just use tvheadend and record to a folder that emby has access to. I do use the emby livetv with VirtualTV.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry @Luke. I've been otherwise occupied lately. I'll try to test it this week.

thanks for reminding me :)

• Thanks 1